Violence against officials reaches new low

Started by brokencrossbar1, November 24, 2011, 10:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quotehttp://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/only-in-cavanumpire-shot-in-the-foot-during-hurling-match-0017979-1?_ft_s_obj=5&_ft_s_edge=1&_ft_s_prnt=28&_ft_ft_story_name=AggregatedStreamStoryPostedItem&_ft_mf_story_key=10150476428941154&_ft_object_id=311035472259251&_ft_mf_objid=311035472259251&_ft_viewstate_id=-8695321235437428978&_ft_sub_level=mid&_ft_sbj_type=friend&_ft_is_boulder=1&_ft_src=10&_ft_qid=5678357536910600350&_ft_sty=263&_ft_actrs=542236460%2C1671684877%2C1848517612&_ft_filter=live&_ft_substories=3&_ft_fbid=311035472259251%2C297650396923098%2C186663964756018

Only in Cavan...Umpire shot in the foot during hurling match
GAA officials have often shot themselves in the foot in a metaphorical sense, but rarely have we heard of an umpire being shot while in the line of duty. Until now that is.

At a time when the treatment of match officials is under major scrutiny following the attack on Mayo official Liam Devenney after the Connacht club final at the weekend, it will dismay many to hear that yet another volunteer has been subjected to a vicious attack, but thankfully, this one was accidental.

At least we think it was.

Barry Clarke was acting as an umpire during the Cavan Minor Hurling Final between Ballymachugh and Mullahoran at Kingspan/Breffni Park at the weekend, when he was blasted on the foot by an unsuspecting hunter with a wayward shot.

Players and spectators at the county ground in Cavan heard two loud shots fired during the second half of the game and after the second blast, Clarke looked down to see pellets at his feet and realised he had indeed been shot.

"I could feel something whizzing past the bottom of my trousers and then the next thing was I could feel something hitting my foot, Clarke told The Star.

"We could see a man not that far away from us with a gun and a little brown and white dog. He looked like he was out shooting pheasants – but he was too close for comfort as far as I was concerned.

"About 10 minutes after we heard the first shot, there was another bang and the small gate behind us rattle. I looked down and I could see pellets a few feet away from me.

"The ricochet from the gate had struck me on the foot. Luckily I was wearing big, strong boots at the time so apart from being a bit sore, it was only the boots that got a doing."

Courageously, rather than wave the white flag as he would have been entitled to do under the circumstances, Clarke carried on doing his umpire duties, much to the admiration of fellow umpire Pat Clarke, who revealed that the accidental sniper was told in no uncertain terms that he and his weapon of choice were not welcome around those parts.

"We looked around to see the man doing the shooting and some of the players from both teams let him know where to go with his gun," Clarke added.

Baffled Cavan County Board chiefs are to seek the assistance of the Gardai in investigating the matter after it was included in the referee's match report.

"The referee's report confirms the incident took place and it'll be discussed at county board level," said Cavan GAA secretary Liam McCabe.

"In the meantime, I'll be in touch with Gardai to see what they have to say on the matter."

As appropriate as it was that the Gardai are involved, we think this is a job for the real men in white coats.

To all budding umpires out there, the lesson is clear. If you are going to don the oversized white jacket in future, wear big strong boots. Because you never know what raving mad hunting lunatic with a gun might be lurking around the corner

armaghniac

It is not really funny that someone was blasting off a gun in the vicinity of a football game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

Same thing happened me playing pitch and putt one day when I was a young fella. I was walking up to the 8th green when I heard a couple of bangs at the same time, and then pellets fell down on my runners. I was wondering what the hell was going on, until I saw 3 lads crouched behind a stack of hay bales, shooting at crows. Obviously one of the eejits tracked a crow across the field in line with the pitch and putt course, tennis courts and soccer pitch. Dummy.

Hardy

I was shot at the back door of my house when I was about ten. Technically.

Our neighbour fired at something, probably a crow and a shower of shot
rained down around me but it didn't hurt or even mark me. And it never
occurred to me to lie down and pretend to be mortally wounded - the feigning
culture hadn't taken root by then.

My father did have a quiet word with Paddy the neighbour about it, as in would
ya ever not be aiming your gun at our house - there's kids about, you know.
Paddy was apologetic, but not sufficiently to be forthcoming with a new football
or even a bag of sweets, as I hoped.

5 Sams

I remember doing umpire at a game between our seniors and RGU in Downpatrick. Game was over and everyone away home when I heard on the news that evening that a pipe bomb was found behind the goals where I was standing. I wouldnt mind but there was a crowd of young fellas playing around the same area throughout the game....bastards!!
The Aristocrat Years

tommysmith

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 24, 2011, 02:23:41 PM
I remember doing umpire at a game between our seniors and RGU in Downpatrick. Game was over and everyone away home when I heard on the news that evening that a pipe bomb was found behind the goals where I was standing. I wouldnt mind but there was a crowd of young fellas playing around the same area throughout the game....b**tards!!

Why didnt you tell them to move if they were bothering you?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on November 24, 2011, 11:37:56 AM
I was shot at the back door of my house when I was about ten. Technically.

Our neighbour fired at something, probably a crow and a shower of shot
rained down around me but it didn't hurt or even mark me. And it never
occurred to me to lie down and pretend to be mortally wounded - the feigning
culture hadn't taken root by then.

My father did have a quiet word with Paddy the neighbour about it, as in would
Paddy was apologetic, but not sufficiently to be forthcoming with a new football
or even a bag of sweets, as I hoped.

There's something about that post and maybe the mention of the name Paddy that reminds me of the legendary sonny's post about Hardy and the sons and the floury spuds!

Hardy

I'd be flattered to think some of sonny's genius had rubbed off on me.

(Different Paddy, by the way.)

OverThePostsAWide

Any truth in the rumour that Val Andrews is hoping to catch the shooter before the Guards so he can draft him into his new squad as a "shoot on sight" replacement for Seanie?

ONeill

as in would

A psychologist would have a field day with this. I can picture a bespectacled Hardy og shaking his head at the time. From that moment onward, he waged war with grammatical incompetence.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bennydorano

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2011, 11:17:05 AM
Same thing happened me playing pitch and putt one day when I was a young fella. I was walking up to the 8th green when I heard a couple of bangs at the same time, and then pellets fell down on my runners. I was wondering what the hell was going on, until I saw 3 lads crouched behind a stack of hay bales, shooting at crows. Obviously one of the eejits tracked a crow across the field in line with the pitch and putt course, tennis courts and soccer pitch. Dummy.

Runners on a Golf course?  Near choked on my G&T there at the thought of it.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on November 24, 2011, 05:54:22 PM
as in would

A psychologist would have a field day with this. I can picture a bespectacled Hardy og shaking his head at the time. From that moment onward, he waged war with grammatical incompetence.

Pardon my pedantic streak if you would but does "with" mean, well, "with" or does it mean "against" in this context.
(Yeah, I know, I know; I can't follow myself at times either. ;))
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.