Laois Senior Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 09, 2018, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leixlad

Quote from: High Fielder on October 01, 2018, 11:20:21 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on September 30, 2018, 11:09:10 PM
I would say this is the best conditioned Portlaoise team ever,  they are a different level to anything else in this County and the levels of commitment are mind blowing.  Malachy has created a culture with them that is simply different level to anything else, as I have said before their football in my opinion is their weakest aspect.  They will destroy O Dempsey's too,  I really think they are working harder than the rest of by a factor of two and it's showing.   It does help you have somewhere between 20-40 lads with the same mentality but the advantage is not raw talent more competition for places.  The fact is that everybody is under pressure for their spot.  The scary thing is if they can keep this mentality up they only need 1 or 2 new bodies every year to keep the system flowing.  I would be disappointed if they don't have a right go at the All Ireland Club.

There are too many clubs in Laois for the size of the population we have. Portlaoise are only dominant in Laois. Outside of it, their record isn't great. Maybe instead of looking to weaken Portlaoise, clubs should concentrate on pooling their obviously thin resources and making themselves stronger. Case in point. Arles. Farcical situation. Joined at underage but flogging the dead horse at Senior. No benefit to Laois and no benefit to themselves.

Joint winning-most club in Leinster football championship history.

Don Draper

Quote from: Leixlad on October 01, 2018, 12:11:14 PM
I would say this is the best conditioned Portlaoise team ever,  they are a different level to anything else in this County and the levels of commitment are mind blowing.  Malachy has created a culture with them that is simply different level to anything else, as I have said before their football in my opinion is their weakest aspect.  They will destroy O Dempsey's too,  I really think they are working harder than the rest of by a factor of two and it's showing.   It does help you have somewhere between 20-40 lads with the same mentality but the advantage is not raw talent more competition for places.  The fact is that everybody is under pressure for their spot.  The scary thing is if they can keep this mentality up they only need 1 or 2 new bodies every year to keep the system flowing.  I would be disappointed if they don't have a right go at the All Ireland Club.

There are too many clubs in Laois for the size of the population we have. Portlaoise are only dominant in Laois. Outside of it, their record isn't great. Maybe instead of looking to weaken Portlaoise, clubs should concentrate on pooling their obviously thin resources and making themselves stronger. Case in point. Arles. Farcical situation. Joined at underage but flogging the dead horse at Senior. No benefit to Laois and no benefit to themselves.

All well and good, but their return over the past 10-15 years is very underwhelming.

Jd

I would never advocate a weakening of Portlaoise but it needs two clubs to make sure that all possible players are playing they have a population of 30k or thereabouts but only one club. I would suggest that even with one team at every level jnrC to senior that's only 80 to 90 players being catered for  that's less than .33% of the population ......even 1%of total population playing would make huge strides towards a new club at the northern end of towns. Allow for half males and say half under 40 years there are still huge numbers available. It's not up to Portlaoise to come back to the others but for other large clubs to step up a bit. Stradbally did so why can't Port Joseph's mountmellick step up too. To say we have too many clubs I'd have to disagree with. People who identify strongly with locality will go that extra bit to tog out for a local  first team but may not for an amalgamations second team. Perhaps the competition structures are wrong as I feel we have too many senior team's and not enough intermediate . Maybe 3 levels of 12 teams split in two groups would work for snr to jnr and similar smaller  groups at lower grades. Attach your placing in championship to your league status without exception eg div 1 senior div 2 intermediate and so on. Leagues would mean something and less clubs would give walkovers if relegation meant a drop in status  matches played on a set day  for a set grade every week or fortnight. We'd have a defined season and club players would be improved by playing meaningful matches instead of practice matches all over the place

High Fielder

It was obvious enough that I meant in recent times. Jesus.

High Fielder

Quote from: Jd on October 01, 2018, 12:17:46 PM
I would never advocate a weakening of Portlaoise but it needs two clubs to make sure that all possible players are playing they have a population of 30k or thereabouts but only one club. I would suggest that even with one team at every level jnrC to senior that's only 80 to 90 players being catered for  that's less than .33% of the population ......even 1%of total population playing would make huge strides towards a new club at the northern end of towns. Allow for half males and say half under 40 years there are still huge numbers available. It's not up to Portlaoise to come back to the others but for other large clubs to step up a bit. Stradbally did so why can't Port Joseph's mountmellick step up too. To say we have too many clubs I'd have to disagree with. People who identify strongly with locality will go that extra bit to tog out for a local  first team but may not for an amalgamations second team. Perhaps the competition structures are wrong as I feel we have too many senior team's and not enough intermediate . Maybe 3 levels of 12 teams split in two groups would work for snr to jnr and similar smaller  groups at lower grades. Attach your placing in championship to your league status without exception eg div 1 senior div 2 intermediate and so on. Leagues would mean something and less clubs would give walkovers if relegation meant a drop in status  matches played on a set day  for a set grade every week or fortnight. We'd have a defined season and club players would be improved by playing meaningful matches instead of practice matches all over the place

Shifting deck chairs in my opinion. You can't just "step up" if you don't have the resources. I doubt the clubs you mentioned have "stepped down". They just can't compete with the numbers, and nobody can. You get this stuff every summer from commentators asking for counties like Laois to "step up". It's a load of bollix. How can Laois compete with a county as numerically and financially rich as Dublin? How can clubs in Laois, some of which are playing lads in their 40's, possibly compete with Portlaoise's numbers? Proportionately, numbers will always win as the likelihood of getting good players is greater. Portlaoise should never be split and nor should it be. They have a hard enough time of it at underage and there's a good reason for that

Leixlad

Quote from: High Fielder on October 01, 2018, 12:39:48 PM

It was obvious enough that I meant in recent times. Jesus.

My apologies so  8)

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on October 01, 2018, 12:53:32 PM
Portlaoise should never be split and nor should it be. They have a hard enough time of it at underage and there's a good reason for that
Ah the poor auld divils. Stop, me heart is bleedin for them. Shocking tough they have it. Shocking. Jaysus you'd wonder how they keep going at all at all.

High Fielder

Quote from: Don Draper on October 01, 2018, 01:28:56 PM
Portlaoise should never be split and nor should it be. They have a hard enough time of it at underage and there's a good reason for that
Ah the poor auld divils. Stop, me heart is bleedin for them. Shocking tough they have it. Shocking. Jaysus you'd wonder how they keep going at all at all.

Not really the point I was making but sure you tend to have your own spin on things anyway

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on October 01, 2018, 01:42:46 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on October 01, 2018, 01:28:56 PM

Not really the point I was making but sure you tend to have your own spin on things anyway
Well if you view your wallet as being too small for your fifty euro notes, then yea, I guess its a problem.

High Fielder

Don Draper

clonadmad

Purely from a hurling viewpoint we have approached and met the county board with a proposal to have 2 national schools in the town plus portlaoise college designated as schools that we will be able to access for future  players

We also have a proposal in that we as a club will be able to access Portlaoise college sporting facilities for the use and benefit of the clonad club.

Blow-in

Quote from: clonadmad on October 01, 2018, 02:54:24 PM

Purely from a hurling viewpoint we have approached and met the county board with a proposal to have 2 national schools in the town plus portlaoise college designated as schools that we will be able to access for future  players

We also have a proposal in that we as a club will be able to access Portlaoise college sporting facilities for the use and benefit of the clonad club.

What the f**k has Clonad got to do with a senior Football thread

Butch Cassidy

Will Bruno miss the final? Also is Tuohy home for it?

Laoiseabu

What are the advantages of a new club in Portlaoise ? I want someone to answer