Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 16, 2007, 09:26:20 PM
Quote from: Homer on January 16, 2007, 09:22:55 PM
Gaynor's home since last Wednesday alright, haven't been talking to him so don't know if he has gone back into the county or what.  ???
right if I see the lads training next week, I'll tell keoghan that Gaynor said he's a fat old has been who serves bad beer and he doesnt want to come back on the panel

He could say far worse and still not be wrong!

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he comes back he just needs to recharge his batteries I'd say after a hectic enough old season for club and county.

cavan4ever

is the tyrone game going ahead sat nite, any news anywhere from the ulster council meeting last nite??

The Bottom Brick

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

CavanCola

Tyrone's McKenna Cup game to go ahead
Wednesday, 17 January 2007 11:11 

Micky Harte's Tyrone team have been given the green light to face Cavan this weekend 

Tyrone's Dr McKenna Cup game is to go ahead on Saturday after a compromise was reached between the county board and the Ulster Council.

The Red Hands will meet Cavan under the Breffni Park floodlights without the four students who have been at the centre of a storm for the past fortnight.

But Tyrone will still face an Ulster Council investigation into their use of the players in breach of a Dr McKenna Cup regulation which gives the universities first call on players.

A specially convened meeting of the council on Tuesday evening ended with a decision to invite the Tyrone board to answer a charge of breaching competition rules.

No date has been fixed for the hearing, but Tyrone's successful request for this weekend's game to go ahead - minis UUJ trio Colm Cavanagh, Brendan Boggs and Damien McCaul, as well as Cathal McCarron of St Mary's - means the competition can proceed without delay.

'The Tyrone county committee will be contesting the alleged infraction put to us by the Ulster Council, but in the interest of the competition, we will not be playing the students against Cavan on Saturday, so that the Cavan game can proceed,' said county chairman Pat Darcy in a brief statement.

cavan4ever

Any team news for saturday night??

FermPundit

What reaction did Rory Gallagher get when he came on last Saturday night?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

cavan4ever

he got the same as any other sub that came on a bit of applause.

BallyhaiseMan

i thought Gallagher was cheered very loud when he came on....
Pearson who he replaced then got a loud cheer as he was making his way into the dugout.....

C-na-G

Any chance of Martin Reilly getting a run for the seniors? Seams to be in great form for the u -21s, Serious talent.

cavan4ever

He should stay with the U-21's for now anyway.  If he keeps up the form he could get a run with the senior's towards the end of the league.  It's good to see him back anyway.

Rossi

[
Quote from: C-na-G on January 18, 2007, 06:52:17 PM
Any chance of Martin Reilly getting a run for the seniors? Seams to be in great form for the u -21s, Serious talent.

Agree that he's a serious talent but I think he would be better off playing at least a  full season with Killgarry seniors before he joins the county senior squad.The same applies to a lot of our young talent ,they should all get at least a year or two senior football experience with their clubs before they are put on the county senior squad.It's a big step up from minor/U21 to senior and players should be given a chance to adjust.

Rollout

Check out

http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

for informatiion on the M.Donnelly/MyHomeDubai.com/Envirogreen Ulster Handball Open. Gunner is favourite to win. Although rumour has it he'll be playin a league match that week end too.
http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

The Ulster Handball Open 2007

BallyhaiseMan

well last Night brought us back to earth..... my ratings/analysis

1.Eoin Elliot... Kickouts poor..even if there was a strong breeze...had very little else to do... 6

2.Martin Cahill.......Given the run around by Nial Gormley/Christy Calhoun... improved as the game went on. 6

3.Keith Fannin....Roasted by Paul Rouse the big 6'2 targetman from Brackaville.....switched off him after about 20 minutes...wasnt his best game for Cavan... 6

4.Anthony Forde....Fouled alot was moved in to mark Rouse and also got an absolute roasting,never seen him so poor in a Cavan Shirt... ah well its early in the year... 6

5.Paul Brady.... worked hard....was up against it though as the Tyrone midfield and half backs drove forward...very little he could do. 7

6.Mark McKeever....looked absolutely wrecked...must have been training hard all week... was replaced. 6

7.Jonathon Crowe...the Cavan man of the match in my opinion scored a great point in the second half,battled for everything, was strong,hit all around him and as before didnt look out of place at this level. 8

8.Lorcan Mulvey..... Caught a couple of Good Balls...but done very little else...had next to no support as McCabe was atrocious.. 6

9.Dermot McCabe....wasnt fit to walk,must have been training hard Friday Night, Moved into full forward and done nothing there either... 6

10.Martin Reily......showed flashes of his outstanding ability..also showed flashes of his inexperience as he gave the ball away a fair bit when under pressure......probably too early for him...but will be star for Cavan in the coming years. 6

11.Larry Reily....a noticeabely slimmer Larry Tried hard,but many times he found himself up against 2/3 Tyrone defenders....taken off in the second half. 6

12.Michael Cunningham...one of Cavans better performers...moved the ball at speed...is a very good ball carrier....showed versitility in moving to midfield for the second half...7

13.Gerard Pierson....Tried hard, was very accurate from frees...but the service was putrid compared to the quick direct ball which the Tyrone forwards got. 7

14 Sean Brady...switched to the midfield area with McCabe...Anonymous for a large part...Struggled with Sean Kavanagh as Kavanagh gave him a tour of every blade of grass in Breffini. 6

15. Rory Gallagaher...poor.. very sluggish looking....didnt impact the game at all...replaced at half time. 6

subs...

Jason Reily...got stuck in...chased and battled for every ball.. 6

Cian Mackey...carried the ball well in the last 10 minutes and was one of the main instigators of the late Cavan fightback...carrying the ball at speed against a tired Tyrone Defence...

Eamon Reily... Chesty was brought on at half time...battled hard and got stuck in....but had little impact unfortunately. 6

Michael McDonald...brought on late in the game...wasnt on long enough to rate...

Nicko Walsh....brought on at as a targetman and caught and knocked down some great balls...Hes a definite option in there for the championship.

analysis....

if any of you seen the Tyrone/Derry game last week,you would know one of Tyrones main tactic was to kick the high ball into their new targetman Paul Rouse who is about 6'2  and a great fielder and scoretaker.... what was Cavans response... to try two men Keith Fannin/Anthony Forde...about 5'9 or 5'10 on him... He roasted both of them...what the Management were at,i dont know...
Cavan werent all that bad around the Centre field area and got their fair share of possesion however the service into the forwards was atrocious...balls being kicked high into an struggling McCabe favouring defenders...and balls being kicked towards the cornerflag...
There was no direction to our play... in comparison everytime Tyrone broke forward there was always something on.

I wouldnt be worried though...It was blatently obvious  that the Cavan team were tired out there....they were probably fucked from their hard training session the night before.

cavanmaniac

The main thing is we should have another game in this competition I think? Getting more games into these guys is what's important at the moment and this defeat is no harm to puncture any delusional expectations that might have been swelling after beating Derry in such fine style.

Things are always either looking brilliant or brutal with our supporters and no in between, so getting a reality check like this is no harm at all.

cavan4ever

it's no shame losing to Tyrone anyway. They are going to go close enough to the all-ireland this year.  There must be some competition in their squad for places.