Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Can someone explain to me please the new kick out rule? I missed the revised one. I thought the ball needed to pass the 45.....is it now just that every kick out is from the 21?

Rossfan

After a few rethinks it's from the 20 and presumably must travel 13m.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on January 18, 2019, 08:45:10 PM
After a few rethinks it's from the 20 and presumably must travel 13m.

Spot on....didn't realise that.

Sportacus

I'm finding myself completely distracted by counting the handpasses, but you can nearly see the panic in players when they have to kick, which is sad to see.  I'm all for giving the hand pass rule a chance despite all the whinging.  The awkward truth is that the way football has been coached by many managers has ruined it as a spectacle (with the odd exception) and a whole generation of players believe conservative/negative/possession/percentage football is the only way. When I go to a game now I often have no idea why players run into certain positions, they have become programmed to systems rather than playing on their instincts. 

tippabu

Quote from: Sportacus on January 18, 2019, 08:51:17 PM
I'm finding myself completely distracted by counting the handpasses, but you can nearly see the panic in players when they have to kick, which is sad to see.  I'm all for giving the hand pass rule a chance despite all the whinging.  The awkward truth is that the way football has been coached by many managers has ruined it as a spectacle (with the odd exception) and a whole generation of players believe conservative/negative/possession/percentage football is the only way. When I go to a game now I often have no idea why players run into certain positions, they have become programmed to systems rather than playing on their instincts.

I'm the exact same.....I've never counted 1....2.... as much in my life.....I'm praying for a foul on it to see if it's picked up and how if affects the game

Rossfan

No need to be counting. Close 1 finger on pass 1, 2nd finger on pass 2.........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ringfort

I think that tonight was a good advert for the 3 hand pass rule. A tight low scoring game but still fairly entertaining to watch. Teams can still set up with a strong emphasis on defence, like WH did, recycle the ball across the back and middle, but they must have a few outlets up top.  The best thing I reckon is that due to the nature of creating an emphasis on foot passing the ball is regularly played forward in riskier scenarios than it has been in recent times, there are more duels and turnovers and it creates a more exciting and skilful spectacle than lads endlessly turning back and throwing a safe hand pass rather than risk a ball off the foot and a bollocking from his manager.

In one fell swoop unending periods of recycled possession and cautious probing have been eradicated. Give it a chance lads!

mrdeeds

Quote from: Sportacus on January 18, 2019, 08:51:17 PM

And that's the point. The ref has to count them too and also count hops and steps at same time. At same time they have to look out for for a jersey pull etc... maybe forty yards away. Also with mark being up to speed to see where kick pass was from and judge distance travelled. Impossible.

Zulu

Count hops? Refs did everything you mentioned bar the hand passes already and seem to be getting on ok. Let's give it a chance, rather than declaring something is impossible why not give it a good test run and see if you're right?

Declan Bonner said on OFTB that he's not doing anything in training to adjust to the new rules yet claims they're a failure. This is the type of nonsense we shouldn't be listening to.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Zulu on January 18, 2019, 10:38:45 PM
Count hops? Refs did everything you mentioned bar the hand passes already and seem to be getting on ok. Let's give it a chance, rather than declaring something is impossible why not give it a good test run and see if you're right?

Declan Bonner said on OFTB that he's not doing anything in training to adjust to the new rules yet claims they're a failure. This is the type of nonsense we shouldn't be listening to.

Are you saying referees always get steps right and hops? Steps are a joke at this stage. In most games I've seen double hops, referees don't call them because they nearly assume they don't happen. I watched a club game recently where the same player hopped the ball twice and no whistle.

I always like the way Tyrone and Donegal criticised so much for hand passing. Tyrone kicked it a lot in All Ireland final, more so tham Dublin and Donegal scored two iconic goals in All Ireland final from kick and catch.

Zulu

Of course refs get things wrong but I wouldn't say that they miss double hops too often and the steps are a bit of grey area with refs seeming to allow lads more steps if the deem they are being fouled. Steps are nowhere near as big an issue in football as hurling and it's not mentioned there at all.

The bottom line is we need to address how football is being played as it's become a very poor spectacle and these rules need more time before anyone can say with any degree of certainty if they're good or not.

manfromdelmonte

I'd like to see players stopped from throwing the ball into the goal. Some teams seem to be experts at it
This allows teams to handpsss the ball to death

mrdeeds

Quote from: Zulu on January 18, 2019, 10:51:47 PM
Of course refs get things wrong but I wouldn't say that they miss double hops too often and the steps are a bit of grey area with refs seeming to allow lads more steps if the deem they are being fouled. Steps are nowhere near as big an issue in football as hurling and it's not mentioned there at all.

The bottom line is we need to address how football is being played as it's become a very poor spectacle and these rules need more time before anyone can say with any degree of certainty if they're good or not.

Once we allowed players take 10 steps we've made turnovers more difficult. The rule is 4. Enforce it or change it. If turnovers are more difficult then teams adjust and blanket defence is result. And double hops are a rarity because players since the age of eight solo then hop. But the next time you see it happen there will be no foul because referees are not switched on to it. I remember the two man tackle that if more than one player tackled a player it was a foul. Now it's a free every time to the defending team and usually gets a roar from the crowd on a par with a point.

Zulu

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 18, 2019, 11:10:14 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 18, 2019, 10:51:47 PM

Once we allowed players take 10 steps we've made turnovers more difficult. The rule is 4. Enforce it or change it. If turnovers are more difficult then teams adjust and blanket defence is result. And double hops are a rarity because players since the age of eight solo then hop. But the next time you see it happen there will be no foul because referees are not switched on to it. I remember the two man tackle that if more than one player tackled a player it was a foul. Now it's a free every time to the defending team and usually gets a roar from the crowd on a par with a point.

But that's a different discussion. These are the rules that are being tested, you've said they are impossible for refs yet are arguing they can't ref steps or double hops, so do we get rid of hops and let players take 10 steps?

All I'm saying is these are the rules that are in place, maybe they are not going to do anything positive for the game but at least lets give managers, players, refs and supporters time to watch and adjust to them before saying they don't work. The game is in a bad place and I'm willing to use, at least, one year of league games to see if they work or not. I don't think we should be using the league for this but as it's the only show in town I'm willing to see what happens.

rodney trotter

The 3 hand pass rule not going ahead for the League. The 4 other rules to go ahead.