Magdalene Laundries payout.

Started by T Fearon, June 26, 2013, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on July 26, 2013, 03:18:36 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 26, 2013, 03:01:40 PM
What he did then was heinous but what he is up to now is many times worse.
"the Prince of the Church Cardinal Brady,"  as you term him, has refused to acknowledge that what he did back then was wrong in any way.
His attitude has not changed in the interim so you are the one who confuses "a young Fr Sean Brady then with the Prince of the Church Cardinal Brady, as he is now."

Well said. I'm sure that, in his heart, Seán Brady knows he screwed up. A true Christian would admit to his failure to speak out when confronted by evil. To err is human etc. But the Prince of the Church won't offer up any hostages to fortune. By his own standards, he will pay a very heavy price on the Day of Reckoning for his cowardice.

A couple of decades of the rosary and a blessing from an equally accountable colleague and he'll be getting his soul cleansed enough to pass through the pearly gates. These lads are almost angel like don't you know?

guy crouchback

Quote from: T Fearon on July 26, 2013, 02:11:34 PM
I am not defending the catholic church, like every other organisation on this planet, comprised of humans, it has made serious mistakes, has had and still has its share of despicable members (some of whom wear the cloth), etc.

I think you are all confusing a young Fr Sean Brady then with the Prince of the Church Cardinal Brady, as he is now.

For the umpteenth time I will repeat, he interviewed children who made "allegations" (as yet unproven) against a certain priest, and reported thse accurately and speedily to his superiors, following established protocol, right or wrong as it may have been. He was perfectly entitled to a) think that this report would have been acted upon appropriately and b) he was in all probability not privy to the decisions of his superiors on receipt and consideration of his report.

It is very easy to sit and criticise someone for an action nearly 40 years ago, armed with all the knowledge etc in possession now, but to truly understand this case, you have to set aside that and put yourself in the shoes of a young priest back in the mid 70s.

just to clarify at the time Sean brady was 35 there was nothing young about him.

T Fearon

All relative. Believe me, back then a 35 year old priest was a mere novice. I remember a 35 year old priest was appointed President of our School in 1976, and his age made headlines all over Ireland.

I will rest my case in the fact that any objective person (ie one without any gratuitous axe to grind against the Catholic Church ) recognises Sean Brady's conscience is clear, or as the eminent non catholic Religious correspondent of the Belfast Telegraph recently described him  "a thoroughly decent and honest man caught up in a horrendous situation not of his own making".

The acid test is the laack of action taken by the Garda and PSNI, who by not arresting him obviously consider him to be innocent of any charge that would stand up in court.

guy crouchback

By 1975 Sean Brady had a degree a post grad and a doctorate. he had lived in Rome for 7 years and had been a secondary school teacher for another 7 years. he was intelligent, educated, traveled and had  experience of working with young people.

far from being a novice he was probably the most sophisticated and intelligent priest involved in the cover up. his role was not to be a lackey for the big boys but to be the brains of the operation making sure it all went to plan. which from the Church's point of view it did (for  a while).

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on July 26, 2013, 03:22:49 PM
A couple of decades of the rosary and a blessing from an equally accountable colleague and he'll be getting his soul cleansed enough to pass through the pearly gates. These lads are almost angel like don't you know?

You might well be right. And that's the most depressing thing of all.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 26, 2013, 03:40:17 PM
All relative. Believe me, back then a 35 year old priest was a mere novice. I remember a 35 year old priest was appointed President of our School in 1976, and his age made headlines all over Ireland.

I will rest my case in the fact that any objective person (ie one without any gratuitous axe to grind against the Catholic Church ) recognises Sean Brady's conscience is clear, or as the eminent non catholic Religious correspondent of the Belfast Telegraph recently described him  "a thoroughly decent and honest man caught up in a horrendous situation not of his own making".

The acid test is the laack of action taken by the Garda and PSNI, who by not arresting him obviously consider him to be innocent of any charge that would stand up in court.

Brendan Smyth went on to abuse over a 100 more children after Sean Brady had the original victims take an oath of silence.

You repeat over and over again the mantra that he reported 'accurately and speedily' to his superiors as if it means something. It doesn't mean anything. Crucially each time, you leave out the key event where Brady had the boys take an oath of silence. Does the current mantra require the faithful to ignore the oath of silence or is it just yourself?

Also Brady himself, last year, admitted that he should have told the parents.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cardinal-sean-brady-says-sorry-but-wont-resign-26851189.html

If, by his own admission, he should have told the parents, then surely he is de facto conceding that the oath of silence was also wrong?
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

I think our Tony took an oath of silence on admitting the wrongdoings of his beloved cult.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: guy crouchback on July 26, 2013, 03:53:48 PM
By 1975 Sean Brady had a degree a post grad and a doctorate. he had lived in Rome for 7 years and had been a secondary school teacher for another 7 years. he was intelligent, educated, traveled and had  experience of working with young people.

far from being a novice he was probably the most sophisticated and intelligent priest involved in the cover up. his role was not to be a lackey for the big boys but to be the brains of the operation making sure it all went to plan. which from the Church's point of view it did (for  a while).

What was his degree, post grad and doctorate in?

I'm sure it was about as credible as this https://www.icr.org/education/
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

T Fearon

I do not know the reason for the oath of silence.It seems like an archaic obligation.Perhaps it was intended for the best possible reasons,in that the Church at the time felt better able to handle controversies in private.In any event the parents could and should have intervened,oath of silence or not.

As I say it is very easy to criticise with the benefit of nearly 40 years hindsight and knowing the full extent of Smyth's crimes and downright depravity.

There is no doubt with the level of hatred displayed against Sean Brady on this thread,that a stranger could be forgiven for thinking that he was Brendan Smyth himself,instead of a relatively young priest,totally unprepared for dealing with a nightmare situation,and at the very worst,mishandled that situation.We've all been there,none of us are perfect,but like the non catholic religious correspondent of the Belfast Telegraph, I firmly believe that Sean Brady is an eminently decent man,who has served both his church and flock well.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 26, 2013, 07:28:47 PM
I do not know the reason for the oath of silence.It seems like an archaic obligation.Perhaps it was intended for the best possible reasons,in that the Church at the time felt better able to handle controversies in private.In any event the parents could and should have intervened,oath of silence or not.

As I say it is very easy to criticise with the benefit of nearly 40 years hindsight and knowing the full extent of Smyth's crimes and downright depravity.

There is no doubt with the level of hatred displayed against Sean Brady on this thread,that a stranger could be forgiven for thinking that he was Brendan Smyth himself,instead of a relatively young priest,totally unprepared for dealing with a nightmare situation,and at the very worst,mishandled that situation.We've all been there,none of us are perfect,but like the non catholic religious correspondent of the Belfast Telegraph, I firmly believe that Sean Brady is an eminently decent man,who has served both his church and flock well.

Funny how you view the parents of the abused as culpable, and Brady as a victim.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

I do not know the reason for the oath of silence.

I stopped reading right there.

Hardy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 26, 2013, 08:32:01 PM
I do not know the reason for the oath of silence.

I stopped reading right there.

I actually got as far as this:
QuotePerhaps it was intended for the best possible reasons,in that the Church at the time felt better able to handle controversies in private.

I wish I'd stopped where you did.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hardstation on June 30, 2013, 12:54:28 AM
Tony,

In the name of Sweet Suffering Jesus Christ.......................

hardstation

This +100
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Eamonnca1

It's painful to watch, isn't it?

T Fearon

My research informs that the oath of silence was also signed by Brady and Smyth,and was designed to protect the person against whom allegations were made,pending the outcome of an internal investigation,at which stage the oath of silence expires.This seems entirely reasonable to me.