Magdalene Laundries payout.

Started by T Fearon, June 26, 2013, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Totally confused by this.Obviously the inmates had a tough time,to say the least,though an inordinate number of them seem to have smiles on their faces,judging from the grainy black and White footage, from way back when.

However my point is, back in the day,there were several groups treated inhumanely,and denied basic civil and human rights (working class generally,low pay, terrible conditions etc, northern catholics in general etc etc). Where do the investigations begin and end, and is this not creating a dangerous precedent in terms of compensation?

Eamonnca1

Your abusive friends have been busted. Suck it up.

ardchieftain

Maguire01

Tony Baloney

Basically you don't any investigations into any wrongdoing by the Catholic Church in Ireland. Would that be a fair asssessment of your position?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on June 26, 2013, 09:32:39 PM
Totally confused by this.Obviously the inmates had a tough time,to say the least,though an inordinate number of them seem to have smiles on their faces,judging from the grainy black and White footage, from way back when.

However my point is, back in the day,there were several groups treated inhumanely,and denied basic civil and human rights (working class generally,low pay, terrible conditions etc, northern catholics in general etc etc). Where do the investigations begin and end, and is this not creating a dangerous precedent in terms of compensation?

I think the first two words of that post would have been quite sufficient.

I'm quoting it here to ensure it's preserved for posterity, before you delete it after having realised what a fool you're making of yourself by defending the indefensible, disgusting, disgraceful, evil acts perpetrated by sinister middle-aged "virgins" under the protection of your beloved church.

Dougal Maguire

I assumed, after I'd read it, that he'd been fraped 
Careful now

Nally Stand

I agree wholeheartedly that they should get compensated. One thing that struck me here though is that some of the same people who are on this thread criticising T Fearon for asking:
Where do the investigations begin and end.

Are the same people who were using the very same argument themselves on the British State Collusion thread, when complaining about Pat Finucane's family seeking an enquiry...
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 11, 2011, 08:04:38 PM
The Finucane's are one family. Why champion them? The taxpayer has paid enough.

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 12, 2011, 06:18:19 PM
....it has been acknowledged that there was collusion and the family has had an apology from the government. That's a hell of a lot more than a lot of families have...Then there's also the fact that it's not just sustainable to have endless inquiries... so where is the line drawn?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

midLouth

How is the compensation decided?

T Fearon

All any group needs to get an inquiry and compensation is a few voices to start with,a film (with inevitable poetic licence), a media gratuitously hostile to the perpetrators and hey presto,you're in business.A wad of dosh and a perverse apology from the government of the day,who had nothing whatsoever to do with the abuse.

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 27, 2013, 12:07:04 AM
I agree wholeheartedly that they should get compensated. One thing that struck me here though is that some of the same people who are on this thread criticising T Fearon for asking:
Where do the investigations begin and end.

Are the same people who were using the very same argument themselves on the British State Collusion thread, when complaining about Pat Finucane's family seeking an enquiry...
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 11, 2011, 08:04:38 PM
The Finucane's are one family. Why champion them? The taxpayer has paid enough.

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 12, 2011, 06:18:19 PM
....it has been acknowledged that there was collusion and the family has had an apology from the government. That's a hell of a lot more than a lot of families have...Then there's also the fact that it's not just sustainable to have endless inquiries... so where is the line drawn?
Actually my biggest issue with the post - the 'unbelievable' bit - was this part:

Obviously the inmates had a tough time,to say the least,though an inordinate number of them seem to have smiles on their faces,judging from the grainy black and White footage, from way back when.
It seems to imply that 'the children were smiling - what's the problem!'. It reads like a pathetic attempt to undermine the victims.

In terms of inquiries, there does indeed have to be a line drawn somewhere, and that applies across the board. If every individual victim (either of state violence in NI or religious institutions anywhere in Ireland) demanded their own full inquiry, it simply wouldn't be affordable/sustainable.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on June 27, 2013, 05:23:54 AM
All any group needs to get an inquiry and compensation is a few voices to start with,a film (with inevitable poetic licence), a media gratuitously hostile to the perpetrators and hey presto,you're in business.A wad of dosh and a perverse apology from the government of the day,who had nothing whatsoever to do with the abuse.
Tony

Was it right for the Germans to pay reparations for the Holocaust? I mean, most of the people were dead and the Nazis were gone.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on June 27, 2013, 05:23:54 AM

Turning a blind eye to those you place in positions of authority to carry out these deeds makes you equally culpable in my opinion, but yes the catholic orders and hierarchy who oversaw this and more need hauled before the courts for their part in it, hiding evidence etc, etc should lead to jail time for some of them.

theskull1

Tony and Stuart Hall would have similar views I'd say
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera