FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 25, 2021, 10:35:45 AM
I think Kenny good as he was in the LoI is like the team at the minute, not up to it. I can't help thinking that the advent of professional rugby in Ireland as a road to pro sports and the easier options for GAA stars to earn outside of the game aligned with foreign players in England has damaged the development of players on this Island.
Professional rugby has nothing to do with it and GAA has little to do with it

Societal changes have more to do with it than anything, I spent a decade from 6 to 16 playing football on the street and elsewhere, how many kids do that these days? The street is where you need to learn your skills

I would have been of the view that Kenny may not be up to the job but after last night I would be less of that view, he deserves time at least, which means the whole of this campaign minimum, and probably the whole of the next one - as long as there's a general line of progress

But disastrous individual results can always do for a manager - Staunton would have got another campaign but for Cyprus

So Kenny really needs to be picking up full points from Luxembourg and Azerbaijan during this group

We aren't going to qualify so forget that

seafoid

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 25, 2021, 12:00:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 25, 2021, 11:46:28 AM
Quote from: galwayman on March 25, 2021, 11:17:44 AM
I think Kenny good as he was in the LoI is like the team at the minute, not up to it. I can't help thinking that the advent of professional rugby in Ireland as a road to pro sports and the easier options for GAA stars to earn outside of the game aligned with foreign players in England has damaged the development of players on this Island.
Interesting point. What would help us massively is if we had a team or teams that are the equivalent of the rugby provinces to feed into the national team.
They would need to be playing in a strong league but unfortunately that doesn't ever look like happening.
In rugby the teams feed the provinces which feed the national team
In soccer the teams feed English soccer.

It's a big difference
The point I am making is that if a youngster is good at ball sports and fancies making some cash out of it, it is easier if he has the choice to pursue a career in rugby. the odds on making it are less. Good Gaelic players can also have lucrative careers of the pitch which will sustain them longer than a career in lower league soccer. Only a minuscule percentage have a chance of being the next Roy Keane. This coupled with an influx of ready developed "foreign players" in to the English game squeezes the opportunities further for non English players who will always get precedence.
That las point is the main reason the BIG are in their current state. Irish players need access to and maximum exposure to the highest level. This was possible in the 1980s and 90s.  Now the EPL takes players from all over the world and Irish players get squeezed out.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on March 25, 2021, 12:13:06 PM
Interesting point. What would help us massively is if we had a team or teams that are the equivalent of the rugby provinces to feed into the national team.
They would need to be playing in a strong league but unfortunately that doesn't ever look like happening.

It's a big difference
The point I am making is that if a youngster is good at ball sports and fancies making some cash out of it, it is easier if he has the choice to pursue a career in rugby. the odds on making it are less. Good Gaelic players can also have lucrative careers of the pitch which will sustain them longer than a career in lower league soccer. Only a minuscule percentage have a chance of being the next Roy Keane. This coupled with an influx of ready developed "foreign players" in to the English game squeezes the opportunities further for non English players who will always get precedence.
That las point is the main reason the BIG are in their current state. Irish players need access to and maximum exposure to the highest level. This was possible in the 1980s and 90s.  Now the EPL takes players from all over the world and Irish players get squeezed out.

Not just Irish players, I forget what game I was watching the other day but it was two of the premier league top 6 playing each other, think one of the teams was Leicester. Both starting teams had 2 English born players in the English top flight. With Brexit now forcing Irish kids to trials in continental Europe where the polution of money is less an issue, that might actually help us.

Baile Brigín 2

It's a big difference

Brexit has changed that. You can't move to England until you are 18. There is a unique opportunity for Irish soccer. You will now be selling pros as opposed to releasing youths. This is why Dermot Desmond out millions into the Rovers acadamy.

Applesisapples

Quote from: seafoid on March 25, 2021, 12:13:06 PM

It's a big difference
and the other points are the result of this path being more difficult.

Dougal Maguire

I prefer this thread rather than Sid's new one
Careful now

Baile Brigín 2

Luxembourg aren't the mugs they used to be but the lads should have more than enough for them.

Itchy

Youd hope we would get a good creative performance,  maybe make 10 good chances and convert 3 hopefully. An early goal would settle the nerves.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on March 27, 2021, 07:16:19 PM
Youd hope we would get a good creative performance,  maybe make 10 good chances and convert 3 hopefully. An early goal would settle the nerves.
I think the resident soccer expert will be able to sort this
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

An Watcher

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 27, 2021, 07:38:35 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 27, 2021, 05:43:03 PM
Bazunu starts

Collins starts up front. Is Connolly lame?

I understand the phrase is he has a lifestyle.

He was told to say nothing and leave Luxembourg think a little lad would start. He had to Tweet away

Itchy

Luxembourg a lot better than I thought they'd be, any sort of a win here would do.

tintin25

Luxembourg aren't the whipping boys they used to be....results have improved considerably over the years...especially against the bigger countries.  Ireland lucky they aren't 1 down.  Would take any sort of win at this stage.