New Down talent.

Started by 5 Sams, October 06, 2014, 10:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

For the future yeah, not now.

In relation to Caolan Mooney - you ask who has seen him play football? Given that a month ago he had played around 3 games in 3 years it would be hard to see him play. Previous to that he was the undoubted star of school club and county. Yes it was all in his own age group but as someone else said that St Colmans run included a lot of lads who are showing well at Senior County level now, and Mooney was the pick of the bunch back then. Given his three years of professionalism it has only improved his power and speed, and while his basic skills may be rusty at this stage, there is no doubting from watching him over the last few weeks he is still an awesome player who is miles above the level he is playing at the moment. Against Shamrocks he did score 1-2 yes, and may have missed a few but can't really read much into that! He was man handled all game v Mayobridge with little to no protection from the referee, and wasn't really in the game. Of course he will be in for this sort of treatment in most games, but you would like to think he would be playing under stronger referees than appointed in the Down U21 FC group stage on a Sunday morning!! Anyway, Caolan will no doubt bring a lot to club and county next year, him and others may be the catalyst but it needs a strong panel, he ain't gonna win things on his own at this level!

Shamrocks Gaelp

Saying as how the full squad can't train on a pitch until December 1st, has there been any trials yet? And will there be a Cardinal O'Fiach cup this year ?

BennyHarp

How good / how old is Ross McGarry from Warrenpoint? He put on some exhibition of point scoring today.
That was never a square ball!!

Shamrocks Gaelp

23 I think ? Fantastic player, brilliant dead ball accuracy, quick and strong and isn't one of the points best players from just hitting frees, he contributes a lot from play. Great shootin and passing off both feet too, but can be greedy sometimes

PAULD123

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 02, 2014, 10:22:35 PM
How good / how old is Ross McGarry from Warrenpoint? He put on some exhibition of point scoring today.

Ross is every bit as good at frees as Donal O'Hare if not better. He contributes more than any other CPN forward during play, leads the line and is willing to take on his man.

As I believe Donal O'Hare was only in the Down side to take frees (rarely scored from play and didn't set much up) I think Ross has been unfairly overlooked. You have to prove yourself to be selected for the first fifteen, but at the very least he should be in the squad. He won young ulster player of the year in 2012 and didn't even get invited to try out for the Down squad.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Shamrocks Gaelp on November 02, 2014, 10:02:43 PM
Saying as how the full squad can't train on a pitch until December 1st, has there been any trials yet? And will there be a Cardinal O'Fiach cup this year ?
there has been 2 trial matches so far and another scheduled for later in the week. the big numbers at both matches prove the players want to play for down which is always a good start.
nil satis nisi optimum

outback

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 03, 2014, 06:54:05 AM
Quote from: Shamrocks Gaelp on November 02, 2014, 10:02:43 PM
there has been 2 trial matches so far and another scheduled for later in the week. the big numbers at both matches prove the players want to play for down which is always a good start.
Lots of interest alright but some Div 1 clubs had no one at the Trials

The Diarrhoa Divil

Whats a cpn?
I think ye would be safer to judge Ross McGarry next year when playing against Div1 defenders.
If memory serves me, he wasn't too hot when Point were last up there.
Easy to shine when the goin is good, not so easy to shine when the chips are down and your team needs you.
A lot of players should only be judged when tough questions are asked of them. Its then you can tell a lot about a player, his worth, his attitude, his character.
Then again ye have to hand it to any player than go out and score heavily against the Aghadergs and Ballymartins of this world. No offence to those clubs.
Sometimes the bias and blinkered views on here are unreal.

Brick Tamlin

Said it before and il say it again.
James McCartan by and large had the best players on the county panel during his tenure.
There weren't a ball of fellas out there who were regularly outstanding for their clubs screaming to be picked for county. Lets be honest here.

PAULD123

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 03, 2014, 09:39:23 AM
Said it before and il say it again.
James McCartan by and large had the best players on the county panel during his tenure.
There weren't a ball of fellas out there who were regularly outstanding for their clubs screaming to be picked for county. Lets be honest here.

James did have the best players in the squad at the time, but gradually a few players no longer wanted to play and some others were left with little game time to develop them. He may have had the best players in the squad but not always in the team. And more importantly didn't always have the best players with an eye to building the next team. By the end of his time King, McComiskey, Hughes, John Clarke had all opted out for various reasons and others like Keith Quinn found USA more interesting than being in the county squad.

But a lot has changed since 2010. the players I mentioned were mostly children in 2010, the best player in 2010 for the county is not necessarily the best player in 2015. It is not about bringing is loads of players that James overlooked it is about the next generation that are coming through now.

Brick Tamlin

The 'next generation' should have been performing at 21 level and doin the business there first.
A lot of fellas find US more interesting than sloggin it with County football. Happens everywhere. Ye lose a certain % every season.
Minor and 21 teams need to be producing quality players regularly and also competing for their own grade annually. Bigger picture of development in Down needs looking at. Proper structures in place with proper personnel.

speculative

In relation to Ross McGarry, he is a fantastic footballer when he is all in mentally. This notion that he doesn't stand up when the going gets tough isn't exactly the case. Ross it seemed after leaving school became uninterested in football and had even quit at one stage. Also excellent striker off the ground which is something Down have missed since Gregory left really. If McCorry can get him to fully commit and motivate him he would certainly make my first 15(pretty big if though) .

I think the general consensus that McCartan had the best players in the county on the panel is correct. What he didn't do however was manage the younger players sufficiently. Some of the new players on to the panel last year didn't have a conversation with him until they informed him of their decision to leave the panel. That to me is a staggering example of mismanagement and one which must not be repeated by McCorry. If he can maintain motivation for the younger members of the squad we may have a shot of having a truly competitive squad.

I take exception to this lamenting of fellas that have left to go to the US or Australia. To be an inter-county footballer these days is basically a 24/7 profession, and the commitment asked of club players is huge also. It's not a life that many fancy, especially when the likelihood of a medal at the end of it is slim. There's more to life than pulling on a Down jersey for a championship game 3/4 times a year.

supersub

Quote from: speculative on November 03, 2014, 11:44:35 AM
In relation to Ross McGarry, he is a fantastic footballer when he is all in mentally. This notion that he doesn't stand up when the going gets tough isn't exactly the case. Ross it seemed after leaving school became uninterested in football and had even quit at one stage. Also excellent striker off the ground which is something Down have missed since Gregory left really. If McCorry can get him to fully commit and motivate him he would certainly make my first 15(pretty big if though) .

I think the general consensus that McCartan had the best players in the county on the panel is correct. What he didn't do however was manage the younger players sufficiently. Some of the new players on to the panel last year didn't have a conversation with him until they informed him of their decision to leave the panel. That to me is a staggering example of mismanagement and one which must not be repeated by McCorry. If he can maintain motivation for the younger members of the squad we may have a shot of having a truly competitive squad.

I take exception to this lamenting of fellas that have left to go to the US or Australia. To be an inter-county footballer these days is basically a 24/7 profession, and the commitment asked of club players is huge also. It's not a life that many fancy, especially when the likelihood of a medal at the end of it is slim. There's more to life than pulling on a Down jersey for a championship game 3/4 times a year.

Everyone deserves a chance if performing well, however there is a huge gulf between Intermediate and Senior club level, and even more up to inter county level!

PAULD123

I agree that there is a a significance difference between intermediate and senior championship. That is why I said I never expected Ross to be deserving of a first fifteen slot unless he could prove himself at a higher level. However, if you are outstanding at intermediate level, and the player of the championship, then I think that is certainly enough to earn you a chance to at least be invited in to the squad.

And Ross is the outstanding player in the Intermediate championship, which includes a few senior county squad footballers.

supersub