Gerry Adams "had Jean McConville disappeared"

Started by Minder, March 28, 2010, 02:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2010, 06:56:32 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 28, 2010, 06:52:08 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2010, 06:44:32 PM
He doesnt have to do something, being a member of the IRA is still illegal.
He'd have to be a f**king idiot to publicly admit to being a member of the IRA. Myles or anyone else who wants him to admit his past actions why don't you start campaigning for immunity for him...

I think the problem is that he denies having been a member, which is an insult to people's intelligence. If he can lie so easily about that, you wonder what else is a lie. Are you sure McGuinness was convicted of IRA membership?

and you think he should admit to IRA membership and run the risk of being convicted, how stupid would he have to be?

Yes, mcguinness was convicted of IRA membership (twice I think) - in the south - he stood in the dock in a court in dublin and made a speech. 

McGuinness also admitted to the public sunday enquiry (under immunity) that he was a IRA member but have a read of the last paragraph when considering why Adams won't publicly confess (without immunity)...
http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0429/bloodysunday.html
He's not admitting to current IRA membership, but to past membership. Would he do time? Absolutely not.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/loyalist-plum-my-lsquoproofrsquo-of-amnesty-deal-for-prisoners-14744535.html

Gaffer

I can t stand bare-faced liars no matter who they are or their background.

Adams is very comfortable when denying membership.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

longrunsthefox

I don't believe that is the reason he won't admit it... as was said earlier, it is such an insult to peoples intelligence. I doubt they would chase a conviction for it.

pintsofguinness

I'll try and put it simpler for some of the simple minds - if any of you were in Adams position would you continue to deny or admit to everything knowing you run a risk of being prosecuted - anyone who says they would is a liar.

Myles you want him to tell the truth about his past membership and then lie about his current membership. Brilliant.
If he was to say he was a member previously and not now you'd be the first one criticising him about not coming clean about it all.

People say adams insults their intelligence by lying about it but obviously your insulting adams intelligence by arguing if he admitted to everything it would all be fine.  ::)

I doubt they would chase a conviction for it.
Seeing as your so sure a conviction wouldn't follow I can't understand why anyone wouldnt own up
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2010, 07:28:19 PM
I'll try and put it simpler for some of the simple minds - if any of you were in Adams position would you continue to deny or admit to everything knowing you run a risk of being prosecuted - anyone who says they would is a liar.

Myles you want him to tell the truth about his past membership and then lie about his current membership. Brilliant.
If he was to say he was a member previously and not now you'd be the first one criticising him about not coming clean about it all.

People say adams insults their intelligence by lying about it but obviously your insulting adams intelligence by arguing if he admitted to everything it would all be fine.  ::)

I doubt they would chase a conviction for it.
Seeing as your so sure a conviction wouldn't follow I can't understand why anyone wouldnt own up
Why do you keep saying 'admit to everything'? Has McGuinness discussed every operation he was ever involved in? Has Gerry Kelly? Of course they haven't, but they haven't denied their membership of the IRA. Adams would not do one day in jail for admitting the same thing, even if it had to be processed through the courts. Gerry McGeough is being prosecuted, but AFAIK he hasn't been remanded in custody. For those who missed it, there is an amnesty in place for offences committed before the signing of the GFA. The only people being locked up for paramiliitary offences these days are the dissidents.

pintsofguinness

But they authorities claim he was a member of the IRA after the Good Friday Agreement...so you want him to continue to lie about that then? I thought the whole point of him admitting to membership of the IRA for people like you was that he'd be coming clean? He's not doing that if he has to keep lying. And you expect him to be willing to go through the courts and a prosecution for people like you? Even if the chances of him serving time is minimal. 

If you want him to tell the truth why don't you start campaigning for immunity for him?

Personally I'd like to here him admit he was a member of the IRA but at the moment I'd think he'd be idiot to confess.

Gaffer

Wel, if he isnt prepared to tell the truth about himself, then he shouldn't be demanding that others tell the truth about their activities.
Leave that to those in his party who have confessed to their past.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2010, 07:49:29 PM
Wel, if he isnt prepared to tell the truth about himself, then he shouldn't be demanding that others tell the truth about their activities.
I know he argues for a truth commission - which I assume would mean immunity for anyone coming forward.
When did he call for people to turn over evidence against themselves?

Main Street

There is no official amnesty. It would appear to be at the discretion of the PSNI who they want to charge.

On Gerry McGeough
"Police became aware that this individual had re-entered the jurisdiction some time ago but it was not possible to effect an arrest immediately because of the complexity of the investigation and the need to recover and re-examine evidence dating back many years.

"The rationale for the arrest and its timing was based on the police obligation to investigate serious crime," a PSNI statement said.

Mr McGeough, who received 814 first preference votes on an anti-PSNI ticket, is being held at Antrim PSNI station.

It is believed he is being questioned about an incident in 1981 in which an off-duty UDR man was shot at while he was in a van.

Should the Republicans pull out of the peace process, Adams would be a sitting duck like McGeough.
Based on a PSNI suspicion that McGeough is aligned to the dissidents, with no evidence they can decide to do whatever they want re his past activity.

Ulick

Not quite, Gerry McGeough was an OTR who returned without clearance he wouldn't be prosecuted.Gerry Adams is not an OTR so is not in the same situation. For the record McGeough will not do time if convicted.

orangeman

Quote from: Ulick on March 28, 2010, 08:37:52 PM
Not quite, Gerry McGeough was an OTR who returned without clearance he wouldn't be prosecuted.Gerry Adams is not an OTR so is not in the same situation. For the record McGeough will not do time if convicted.
[/b]

It's unlikely he willl be convicted but why bother with this if he's not going to do time even if convicted ??

Ulick

Personally I think it's vindictive as there is clearly no material evidence against him.

orangeman

Quote from: Ulick on March 28, 2010, 08:48:39 PM
Personally I think it's vindictive as there is clearly no material evidence against him.

It seems that way alright.

Gaffer

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2010, 07:52:34 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2010, 07:49:29 PM
I know he argues for a truth commission - which I assume would mean immunity for anyone coming forward.
When did he call for people to turn over evidence against themselves?

Did he never demand that the British admit colluding with loyalists in murder?

longrunsthefox

Maybe the question should be, why was Mc Guiness and others charged with IRA membership and Adams wasn't?... although he appeared in public wearing black beret...   

Adams and IRA's secret Whitehall talks
By Dominic Casciani
BBC News Online at the Public Record Office 

What happened when Gerry Adams and other republican leaders met the government in 1972? Documents finally released to the public reveal all.
Despite protestations to the contrary over the years, the British Government constantly maintained open channels with the IRA during the worst of the Troubles.
The first major meeting of 1972 when an IRA delegation including Gerry Adams was flown into London is among the most well known.

But documents released under the 30-year-rule reveal for the first time the details of official reaction at the time - and confirm that Mr Adams had an earlier longer meeting with two officials which had given the government hope of a breakthrough amid conflict.