Kildare vs Monaghan GAAFAISCQFGS G1P1 Sunday July 15 2PM

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, July 09, 2018, 09:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Monaghan warm favourites at 8-13 and come into it on the back of 3 easy games against weak division 4 opposition.
Kildare won't fear them however and were the better team when they met in the league earlier in the year, but they will need to be more aggressive than they were against Fermanagh both in tackling and by pushing up on kickouts. Hopefully there will a decent following and we can create at least a tiny bit of an atmosphere in Croke Park as it will help. They opened the hill at least which should help.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Last championship meeting between the 2 teams was a good one but both teams have improved a lot since then.

http://www.the42.ie/kildare-monaghan-match-report-1602660-Aug2014/

Jinxy

Make no mistake, the flourbags have their tails up.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gael85

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 09, 2018, 09:29:40 PM
Last championship meeting between the 2 teams was a good one but both teams have improved a lot since then.

http://www.the42.ie/kildare-monaghan-match-report-1602660-Aug2014/

One of the few championship games Monaghan won in Croke Park in recent years.

twohands!!!

Kildare's big worry is that Fermanagh had 41 shots against them.

Fermanagh only converted 0-18 of them but to me that Kildare defence just does not look solid.

Monaghan by 3 points for me.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Fermanagh hit 12 wides so I'm not entirely sure that 41 scoring chances is entirely accurate. Hard to read into the Fermanagh game considering it was over so early and there was zero intensity to the second half. Kildare will need to be seriously motivated for this regardless, if they are anyway flat at all we won't be winning.

Maroon Manc

Is anyone giving Monaghan a chance? Everyone in the media seems to be tipping Kildare apart from Dick Clerkin which is odd as Monaghan are favourites with the bookies.

I really haven't a clue who'll win this, could make a case for either team.

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 10, 2018, 09:33:01 AM
Is anyone giving Monaghan a chance? Everyone in the media seems to be tipping Kildare apart from Dick Clerkin which is odd as Monaghan are favourites with the bookies.

In fairness the bookies are the best barometer most of the time. We can ignore the media as there are more papers and clicks to be sold off the back of Kildare stories.
I think this is a massive step up for Kildare, but Mayo was a leap compared to other games. In fairness to both sides they seem to be flying fit in the heat.
I don't see it as a draw anyway...Kildare by 2...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

straightred

kildare are the story of the summer. They took on the top brass and won and then followed it up by winning on the pitch. Having said that i fancy monaghan. They had a quiet buildup and they got a few new players on board through the league. Its still all about mcmanus but he now has more help than he previously had. Monaghan to close out a tight game but 2 or 3 points

Schkite

From a Monaghan perspective, this build up couldn't be better. It seems like ALL the talk is about Kildare, they're being talked up as semi final dark horses and seem to be the media darling after coming out on top with the Newbridge fiasco and then overcoming Mayo. Meanwhile we haven't been on telly once over the qualifiers so nobody has passed any remarks on us.

Now we haven't really been tested yet in the back door so hard to draw any conclusions from that, and Kildare are back on form so will be more dangerous than a couple of months ago, but I think we're in a good place for this game.

Main Street

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on July 10, 2018, 11:36:18 AM
Kildare virtually have home advantage here.

Yea we are unbeatable in Croke Park.

Ulster teams tend to open up more outside Ulster which should suit Kildare. An arm wrestle would suit Monaghan as McManus will be the best, best at winning frees and most  accurate forward on display. Nolan the referee allows a lot of physical contact though which will suit the Kildare backs who are a bit handsy.

Hard to know where Monaghan are but if allowed dictate the tempo I think Kildare can win by 2 or 3. Healy & Kelly making the difference of the bench.

#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

A Dublin venue and a Wicklow Ref.
I wonder who Croke Park want to win this one ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2018, 12:07:29 PM
A Dublin venue and a Wicklow Ref.
I wonder whco Croke Park want to win this one ::)

He rode Kildare last Friday night, 6 frees to Dublin's 16. We have a mixed record under him, he's no Dublin Joe. We have also lost our last 7 games in Croke Park.
#newbridgeornowhere

yellowcard

This is virtually a championship eliminator match for both sides as I can't see the loser beating Dublin and getting through.

Six weeks ago you would have predicted Monaghan but now I'm not so sure. Kildare have momentum and with Monaghan's poor Croke Park record in the latter stages, I think Kildare can edge what is sure to be a close contest. A lot depends how Kildare cope with Monaghan's defensive system but they seemed to run through Fermanagh with ease last weekend so that was good preparation for what lies ahead albeit Fermanagh do not have the quality of player that Monaghan possess.