Installing a stove

Started by heffo, June 10, 2011, 07:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Ulick on June 11, 2011, 11:22:11 AM
Up here you can get a CORGI certified plumber/heating engineer out to inspect the installation or you could request building control to have a look. I actually had a jobsworth from local building control trying to tell me I needed approval from them (and she tried to tell me I needed to install a liner) while she was in to inspect something else. However when I pointed out to her that I hadn't changed the purpose and use of the fireplace and chimney (I replaced a fire with stove) and showed her the legislation online, she accepted it was none of her business.

I was just wondering how you'd be fixed, though, in the event of an insurance claim if your installation wasn't certified and wasn't in compliance with regulations, even if it was actually safer. Insurance companies don't need a second chance to turn down a claim and it'd be tough if your house burned down and you didn't get a penny.

front of the mountain

Does any one know anything or have installed at Boru Double Sided Boiler Stove??? I think its the only "double sided" stove on the market with a back boiler for heating water & rads. I think there are made in Tipp.
If any one has any information on them or its capabilities it would be very much appreciated!! I `m thinking of putting one into an extension at present.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 15, 2011, 08:30:01 PM
http://www.woodburningstovesni.co.uk/products/boru-stoves-with-back-boiler

As a good Tyrone man you should know that Kildress Plumbing supplies is the centre for stoves.  They have a great range of stoves for all purposes and budgets.
What sort of cut are you on sir?

NAG1

Lads,

Thinking of having a wood burning stove put it, doing a bit of work on knocking through kitchen and second living area, to open it all up.

Was thinking of a small one in the corner of the room.
Does any one know the regs for the chimney etc?
Anything to avoid or should look out for?

front of the mountain

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 15, 2011, 08:30:01 PM
http://www.woodburningstovesni.co.uk/products/boru-stoves-with-back-boiler

As a good Tyrone man you should know that Kildress Plumbing supplies is the centre for stoves.  They have a great range of stoves for all purposes and budgets.

Thanks very much, must get them to give me a price!!!

wanderer

I'm looking at putting in either a boru carraig mor 20kw or a olymberyl olive. Has anyone any experience of these? We have 6 single 2m rads, 1no 2m towel rad & 1no 2m double rad. We want the back burner to heat the rooms (trying to use minimal oil). We've plenty of turf & sticks but want to make sure we're getting something suitable & reliable
Any sensible comments/suggestions appreciated

heffo

Got mine finally finished  - used skamolex boards for inside the hearth with a black granite base.

Thanks for the help lads.

Hereiam

heffo

Bensars

Looking at putting in a stove.

From what I have seen Stanley seem to be very popular. Will be used only for room heat. Based on room and where tank is, it's probably not feasible to go for the backboiler option?

Couple of questions,

What model do any of you have, advantages etc?

In regards of the output.  How accurate are the calculations ? Or is this a sales tool  to sell higher spec stoves?

Advised to just use an adapter to convert 8" to 6" , with no liner most likely needed

Any advice gladly accepted

johnneycool

Quote from: Bensars on October 21, 2013, 08:06:48 PM
Looking at putting in a stove.

From what I have seen Stanley seem to be very popular. Will be used only for room heat. Based on room and where tank is, it's probably not feasible to go for the backboiler option?

Couple of questions,

What model do any of you have, advantages etc?

In regards of the output.  How accurate are the calculations ? Or is this a sales tool  to sell higher spec stoves?

Advised to just use an adapter to convert 8" to 6" , with no liner most likely needed

Any advice gladly accepted

Be careful if you're putting the flu through an existing ceiling as I was told you'd need a lined flu approx 18 inches off either side of the plaster board. Speak to building control on this as you wouldn't want the house burnt down like a lad I know.

upmonaghansayswe

Looking at installing a Stanley Soilis F650 solid fuel stove. Similar to the Aoife only less traditional looking. Only issue I have is the ash tray is very small compared to the traditional types - not even an inch thick. No problem with emptying everyday but will it even last a day? Could it choke the air supply too when full?

giveherlong

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on September 28, 2020, 02:19:59 PM
Looking at installing a Stanley Soilis F650 solid fuel stove. Similar to the Aoife only less traditional looking. Only issue I have is the ash tray is very small compared to the traditional types - not even an inch thick. No problem with emptying everyday but will it even last a day? Could it choke the air supply too when full?

Depends what you are burning. There's a fair bit of ash created burning turf
A lot less with well seasoned timber

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: giveherlong on September 28, 2020, 02:36:42 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on September 28, 2020, 02:19:59 PM

Depends what you are burning. There's a fair bit of ash created burning turf
A lot less with well seasoned timber

True. Wouldn't have turf - but like a few briquettes at the start to get the heat going. Sticks and some coal otherwise. From our inset stove at home which would burn the same fuel, you would easily half fill a large tray each day. Especially thinking of cold weekends when you want it ticking over all day ideally not having to empty it. 

I'll check out the air supply. It densest have the 'wheel' so maybe the air wont get cut off if the tray is full..

giveherlong

Optional Extras

External air supply kit - directs air from the outside into the stove to aid efficient combustion

That's from the Stanley website on the f650
I would go for the external supply if you can. Better control over the combustion
You will have 2 air controls on this set up. Usually a lever for the air supply from room and a knob for the thermostat controlling the external air supply