Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 26, 2011, 07:58:58 PM
Neesons last 2 big films Taken and Unknown were very good imo, particularly Taken

Thought both were absolutely shite to tell the truth.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on July 26, 2011, 11:58:02 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on July 26, 2011, 07:58:58 PM
Neesons last 2 big films Taken and Unknown were very good imo, particularly Taken

Thought both were absolutely shite to tell the truth.
Liked Taken and only saw Unknown on Saturday night. It was alright but nothing more. It was either that or some chick flick with Mr Demi Moore and Natalie Portman. Lucky escape!

Hereiam

Watched Catfish last nite. Was an insight into todays modern world

The Iceman

Watched Captain America and thought it was a decent effort 6.5/10. I'm a big fan of Marvel and the recent Super Hero Films.
I think they made a decent job of staying close to the original story (despite not focusing too heavily on the nazis) and linking the past to the present was subtle but very well done.
Looking forward to the Avengers Movie in 2012!!!!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

screenexile

Saw HP8 last night and it was so close to the best ending to a series of films I have ever seen . . . but then they let us down.

I won't go into more detail but overall imo it's the best series of films around. All individual films are very strong and strung together make a fascinating and well told story charting the journey from child to adult really well.

I would recommend the films to anyone but was slightly annoyed leaving the film last night.

PS. I haven't read even one of the books.

Don Johnson

Saw The Guard tonight, very good. Really enjoyed it and the way it poked fun at the cliched buddy cop movies.

Also checked this as soon as I got home:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_1988_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_1500_metre_freestyle

SLIGONIAN

Saw Captain America last night, really enjoyed, it was funny, endearing and some good action...8/10 for me, theres a preview of the avengers after the credits so wait around...cant wait...thor, iron man, hulk, captain america, hawk eye, etc... all in the same movie.. 8)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

gallsman

Quote from: Don Johnson on July 29, 2011, 12:03:02 AM
Saw The Guard tonight, very good. Really enjoyed it and the way it poked fun at the cliched buddy cop movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_1988_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_1500_metre_freestyle

Think the timing of the history changes on that page is a little bit suspect :)

Eamonnca1

Quote from: The Iceman on July 27, 2011, 02:12:11 PM
Watched Captain America and thought it was a decent effort 6.5/10. I'm a big fan of Marvel and the recent Super Hero Films.
I think they made a decent job of staying close to the original story (despite not focusing too heavily on the nazis) and linking the past to the present was subtle but very well done.

I was a big fan of Marvel comics when I was a wee one and I've been very impressed by the job they've done on these films.  I couldn't believe how much of the story they managed to cover in the first Spiderman film, stay true to the spirit of the story* and make an entertaining action flick.

* I usually find it tiresome when people complain about films not being "true to the book".  I hear that No Country for Old Men was true to the book but in my view it turned into a pile of crap in the second half and had an ending that I'm sure was fine in the book but was out of place in a film.  Films are films and books are books, and it's okay to tailor the story to suit the medium in which it's being presented as long as the fundamental message of the original is preserved.

Don Johnson

Quote from: gallsman on July 29, 2011, 12:45:58 AM

Thought that myself. Good craic all the same!

laoislad

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 29, 2011, 12:10:35 AM
Saw Captain America last night, really enjoyed, it was funny, endearing and some good action...8/10 for me

Saw it myself and also thought it was fairly good.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Iceman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 29, 2011, 01:12:00 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on July 27, 2011, 02:12:11 PM

I was a big fan of Marvel comics when I was a wee one and I've been very impressed by the job they've done on these films.  I couldn't believe how much of the story they managed to cover in the first Spiderman film, stay true to the spirit of the story* and make an entertaining action flick.

* I usually find it tiresome when people complain about films not being "true to the book".  I hear that No Country for Old Men was true to the book but in my view it turned into a pile of crap in the second half and had an ending that I'm sure was fine in the book but was out of place in a film.  Films are films and books are books, and it's okay to tailor the story to suit the medium in which it's being presented as long as the fundamental message of the original is preserved.

Spiderman was a fantastic effort, I am interested to see how this new film works out. I think they tried too hard with Spiderman III and it was overkill.
Iron Man was another great Marvel film and I have enjoyed the X-Men. I do agree somewhat that books are books and films are films and that you have to accept each as they are. But if you have read the book you do have a certain expectation from the film - one of the major drivers for even going to see it or for the film to be made in the first place......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Santino

That is brilliant! Never even occurred to me to look that up! Nice wee detail from a great show!

paco

The Happening just started on Film 4, just in case anyone was getting bored of watching paint dry or whatever marginally less mundane activity they were participating in.

gallsman

Quote from: Santino on July 29, 2011, 08:43:32 PM

That is brilliant! Never even occurred to me to look that up! Nice wee detail from a great show!

Quote from: gallsman on July 29, 2011, 12:45:58 AM