Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Saw The Guard last night. A good flick, Cheadle , Flanagan and Cunningham were brilliant in it imo. Think Bad Lieutenant (Keitel) meets Local Hero. Brilliant set of minor characters.
Well worth a look imo.

Plenty of good natured Dub bashing in it for some of the yokels posting here. Leoneesque finish to it and all.

4/5.

Declan

QuoteInsert Quote
Saw The Guard last night. A good flick, Cheadle , Flanagan and Cunningham were brilliant in it imo. Think Bad Lieutenant (Keitel) meets Local Hero. Brilliant set of minor characters.
Well worth a look imo.

Plenty of good natured Dub bashing in it for some of the yokels posting here. Leoneesque finish to it and all.

4/5.

Yep - Saw it Sat night. Very enjoyable. Gleeson is superb and the rest of the cast very good as well. Some brilliant lines in it

Hardy

Quote from: Canalman on July 11, 2011, 09:29:21 AM
Well worth a look imo.

4/5.

This yokel cannot translate the elegant Dublinese of the phrase "Leoneesque finish to it and all." Can you help, as the local hedge school master is out on the mountain milking the goat?

Puckoon

I watched a movie last night that I had never heard of before called Sling Blade. Written, directed and starring Billy Bob Thornton. Tells the story of a mentally challenged man who was put in a psych hospital for killing his mother and her lover when he was 12. He is released and goes to live in the community he came from. Although the end is a litte predictable - the movie is great. 4.5/5

Watched the entire movie and at the end was told that the lead role was played by Billy Bob Thornton and I couldn't believe it. He won an oscar for best screenplay and was nominated for best actor for this film.

Forever Green

Watched the second Boondock Saints film. Shite compared to the first one but they were never going to live up to the first one

laoislad

Watched Source Code last night.
I liked it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ziggysego

Watched a couple of films over the weekend.

Grown Ups - If you like Adam Sandler, you'll enjoy this film. After a run of poor films like Click, Adam is back to his best again. Some good laughs in it.

Knight & Day - Decent enough film, but wasn't brilliant. Didn't hold my attention in bits, found myself checking emails and Twitter on my phone. That said, Daiz sure can control a car!
Testing Accessibility

clarshack

turned off 'The American' after about 20 mins and put Green Zone on instead. think i made the right decision!

whitegoodman

Not sure if its been mentioned but lincon lawyer good show. Wouldn't be Matt mcconaghy biggest fan but he was good in this and good storyline

Capt Pat

Quote from: clarshack on July 17, 2011, 03:17:25 PM
turned off 'The American' after about 20 mins and put Green Zone on instead. think i made the right decision!

Green Zone was the only action movie I ever fell asleep while watching. I liked the American.

thejuice

The Human Centipede is on the SyFy channel (after Sharktopus, how many oscars did that win?) if your sick in the head.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

nrico2006

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 17, 2011, 04:33:37 PM
Quote from: clarshack on July 17, 2011, 03:17:25 PM

Green Zone was the only action movie I ever fell asleep while watching. I liked the American.

I thought the Green Zone was ok but I agree that the American was very good.

The Lincoln Lawyer is very good too.  Someone mentioned Knight and Day, and I was thinking about that yesterday as it was being advertised on Sky and it was that bad a film I actually had to sit down and think if I had actually watched it.  I eventually remembered that I had watched the first 30 minutes then turned it off, and I would say its one of the 3 or 4 times in my life when I have just gave up on a film.

Battle Los Angeles was a 2.5 out of 5.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Saw The Searchers again on Friday night. This film just leaves me cold, can't really see how it gets all the plaudits and I am a big fan of John Ford. Have watched it umpteen times and am still not too impressed.

Declan

Went with the kids to watch Harry Potter at the weekend - very enjoyable

Bogball XV

Quote from: Canalman on July 18, 2011, 10:22:46 AM
Saw The Searchers again on Friday night. This film just leaves me cold, can't really see how it gets all the plaudits and I am a big fan of John Ford. Have watched it umpteen times and am still not too impressed.
why on earth would you keep on watching it??