Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Quote from: MoChara on July 06, 2011, 01:41:42 PM
Watched the Guard the other day in the cinema, its the new Brendan Gleeson movie, pure Irish humour in it. Has to be seen.

Is it the new In Borris on Ossary?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

MoChara

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 06, 2011, 01:53:57 PM
Watched the Guard the other day in the cinema, its the new Brendan Gleeson movie, pure Irish humour in it. Has to be seen.

Is it the new In Borris on Ossary?

I don't know what that means but I'll go with Yes anyway lol

Tony Baloney

Got great review in the Irish News today - 5 stars.

Capt Pat

In my opinion people deserve a warning about movies that end like that. A sixth sense twist it was not. It was on rte a few nights before I had posted it. People commit hari kari in movies quite a bit. In movies I would reccomend like Letters from Iwo Jima or 13 warriors it features quite a bit. Garage was an ok movie up to a point at which it went below the belt. Now for me that was an evening ruined I am sure others felt the same. It is not the only movie I felt was tripe for the way in which it handled suicide. There is one with Colin Meaney as a tr**p in London where he wants to commit suicide and the theme of the movie is what loss would he be. Another movie worth avoiding.

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 05, 2011, 09:29:48 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 05, 2011, 08:26:58 PM
Read the reviews for Garage here and it sounded good, so I went and read a few more on the net and it was getting rave reviews everywhere. So I went to play.com and purchased.

....And then I see Capt Pats post which kindly ruined the ending for me. Cheers lad. You owe me a £5.89. Plus compensation.
Im with Pat on this one, thank him for stopping you wasting a few hours of your life on The Garage.  That's maybe harsh, but I'd heard great reviews and it was a disappointment to me.

But he shouldn't have posted , no way anybody would sit through it now that they know the ending.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 09, 2011, 08:32:15 AM
In my opinion people deserve a warning about movies that end like that. A sixth sense twist it was not. It was on rte a few nights before I had posted it. People commit hari kari in movies quite a bit, in movies I would reccomend like Letters from Iwo Jima or 13 warriors it features quite a bit. Garage was an ok movie up to a point at which it went below the belt. Now for me that was an evening ruined I am sure others felt the same. It is not the only movie I felt was tripe for the way in which it handled suicide. There is one with Colin Meaney as a tr**p i n London where he wants to commit suicide and the theme of the movie is what loss would he be. Another movie worth avoiding.

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 05, 2011, 09:29:48 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 05, 2011, 08:26:58 PM
Read the reviews for Garage here and it sounded good, so I went and read a few more on the net and it was getting rave reviews everywhere. So I went to play.com and purchased.

....And then I see Capt Pats post which kindly ruined the ending for me. Cheers lad. You owe me a £5.89. Plus compensation.
Im with Pat on this one, thank him for stopping you wasting a few hours of your life on The Garage.  That's maybe harsh, but I'd heard great reviews and it was a disappointment to me.

But he shouldn't have posted , no way anybody would sit through it now that they know the ending.
"The Garage has a crap ending IMO. Avoid" would have been sufficient.

Minder

Making a rare appearance at the flicks tonight, choices are The Guard, Bridesmaids, Larry Crowne & Bad Teacher. Is The Guard the best of this bunch? Transformers & Kung Fu Panda were automatically ruled out.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Radda bout yeee

I actually heard bridesmaids is suppose to be funny enough!

paco

Anyone ever seen Redacted? It's a film about the Iraq war directed by Brian de Palma. After the past few days, I'll not say anything in case I spoil it, but it was a very controversial film and I was wondering if if anyone else had seen it, or what they thought of it!

mc_grens

Quote from: Minder on July 09, 2011, 03:28:16 PM
Making a rare appearance at the flicks tonight, choices are The Guard, Bridesmaids, Larry Crowne & Bad Teacher. Is The Guard the best of this bunch? Transformers & Kung f* Panda were automatically ruled out.

Narrow that down to the Guard and Bridesmaids. I saw Bridesmaids and thought it was pretty funny. Havent seen The Guard yet. Workmate says Bad Teacher is pants, and Larry Crowne is getting crappy enough reviews.

The Worker

anyone seen cedar rapids? is it any use?

Minder

Bridesmaids was actually really good
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

The guard I would say was the best of those movies mentioned. The rest are all pretty decent but nothing spectacular.

Chéad rogha

Really enjoyed the Guard. Some great one liners and has a darker undertone. Gleeson is superb as usual. 4\5.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Forever Green

Friday."You got knocked the f**k out" ;D