Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

I have read the Da Vinci Code book, and have the film taped to be watched; but this last while have heard critics say it was one of the worst movies ever made - should I waste 3 hours of my life or is it worth watching?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Bogball XV

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on July 04, 2011, 01:47:18 PM
I have read the Da Vinci Code book, and have the film taped to be watched; but this last while have heard critics say it was one of the worst movies ever made - should I waste 3 hours of my life or is it worth watching?
not one of the worst movies ever, but not worth wasting 3 hours of your life for either.  On the plus side, as you've read the book you might be able to follow the plot.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 04, 2011, 02:11:01 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on July 04, 2011, 01:47:18 PM
not one of the worst movies ever, but not worth wasting 3 hours of your life for either.  On the plus side, as you've read the book you might be able to follow the plot.

Ta
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on July 03, 2011, 11:55:02 AM
Quote from: Cáthasaigh on July 03, 2011, 11:26:10 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on June 29, 2011, 12:04:17 PM

Apart from Leaving Las Vegas, was he ever really that good?

He was pretty good in 'Bad Lieutenant - Port Of Call New Orleans' but he was plaing an out of his scone junkie; seemed to be a natural in the role too. Very good show, some seriously funny scenes.

I thought Bad Lieutenant was rubbish.
I told you at the time you were wrong.

Cage is made for a certain type of movie.

Good uns:

Leaving Las Vegas
Honeymoon in Vegas
Wild at Heart
Raising Arizona
Lord of War
Adaptation
Matchstick Men

Ave:

Red Rock West
Face Off
Peggy Sue Got Married
Rumble Fish
The Rock
Con Air

The Rest:

Crap

Minder

I remember reading he was in a bit of bother with the IRS, so i would say that is why he is keeping busy.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

I though Bad Lieutenant was decent.

ziggysego

Saw Transformers 3 tonight, in 2D. Was better than the 2nd film, that's not saying much, as it had a better storyline. Special effects were outstanding, but I wasn't dying about about the film. Your doll that replaced Megan Fox, can't act for shite. Just the same expression on her face the whole film, wooden.
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

Quote from: ziggysego on July 05, 2011, 12:01:29 AM
Saw Transformers 3 tonight, in 2D. Was better than the 2nd film, that's not saying much, as it had a better storyline. Special effects were outstanding, but I wasn't dying about about the film. Your doll that replaced Megan Fox, can't act for shite. Just the same expression on her face the whole film, wooden.

In fairness, you don't go to watch Transformers for an intricate plot but even for a Michael Bay film about an ancient intergalactic war between two rival species of highly advanced robots the plot was preposterous. The pro-America shite in it is unbearable too.

AbbeySider

There was a very good film on RTE on Sunday night called Garage.
Very poignant and a great performance by Pat Shortt in the leading role playing a slow witted petrol station worker.

Its well worth a look.

HiMucker

Seen Unkown there with Liam Neeson, decent show, bit of a Bourne rip off though.
Watched the Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon.  Quirky film, thought it was also decent but id imagine a fair few people will hate it.  Both 6/10 Id say

nrico2006

Quote from: HiMucker on July 05, 2011, 01:53:25 PM
Seen Unkown there with Liam Neeson, decent show, bit of a Bourne rip off though.
Watched the Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon.  Quirky film, thought it was also decent but id imagine a fair few people will hate it.  Both 6/10 Id say

I thought Unknown was the biggest pile of dung I had seen in a long time.  Bored the hole of me to be honest, not even a bit of dirt in it or nothing.  The Adjustment Bureau was much better.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 05, 2011, 12:04:09 PM
Very poignant and a great performance by Pat Shortt in the leading role playing a slow witted petrol station worker.

Its well worth a look.

Totally agree (+1 the correct term I believe). A  trully shocking twist and ending.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Canalman on July 05, 2011, 02:01:00 PM

Its well worth a look.

Totally agree (+1 the correct term I believe). A  trully shocking twist and ending.

You know its a good film when you are left thinking about it for a long time afterwards and thats how I am after seeing it.

Hardy

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 05, 2011, 02:07:01 PM

Its well worth a look.

You know its a good film when you are left thinking about it for a long time afterwards and thats how I am after seeing it.

Yes - a fine piece of work.

Capt Pat

Yes very popular amongst demented slow witted garage workers from Tipperary but I thought it was terrible. A movie is supposed to be entertaining. A suicide is not entertaining and does not make a movie.[ :)quote author=Hardy link=topic=5246.msg983940#msg983940 date=1309871801]
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 05, 2011, 02:07:01 PM

Its well worth a look.

Yes - a fine piece of work.
[/quote]