Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 29, 2011, 12:42:03 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 29, 2011, 12:13:23 AM
I have yet to read a good review of Hangover 2. The consensus is that it is an unashamed and worse carbon copy of the first one.
4 stars in total film,
most of my mates thought the same as me. It is kinda the same format all right but funnier and in fairness most laughs you dont see coming,  judge for yourself. though
I haven't seen Total Film so I'm still right.

Bogball XV

I have yet to read a good review of Hangover 2. The consensus is that it is an unashamed and worse carbon copy of the first one.
I thought the first was hugely overrated?  Maybe my expectations were too high based on the hype as I didn't see it for a long time after it released?

Milltown Row2

Watched The curious case of Benjamin Button last night. Odd film but well acted and likable. Would be a horrible life
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 29, 2011, 10:13:18 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 29, 2011, 12:42:03 AM
4 stars in total film,
most of my mates thought the same as me. It is kinda the same format all right but funnier and in fairness most laughs you dont see coming,  judge for yourself. though
I haven't seen Total Film so I'm still right.
:D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Radda bout yeee

Watched Invictus last night! Thought it was good enough show. Matt Damon was very good in it. I watched it after a few pints which may have had an influence on me but i thought lots of bits were funny - alot of subtle humour in it???

Hereiam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2011, 10:10:44 AM
Watched The curious case of Benjamin Button last night. Odd film but well acted and likable. Would be a horrible life

Watched it for the first time last nite......the story was told very well and I have to admit that it got me at the end...... think I have gone soft since I have had kids of my own....

Milltown Row2

A very underrated Bond movie on now, On her Majesty's secret service
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Denn Forever

Get the cans and junk food ready for tonight.  Garrrh

22:00 Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (T) (2004, Comedy) The struggling owner of a run-down gym is forced to take drastic action to prevent an arrogant fitness guru buying the business out from under him - and enlists his customers to form a dodgeball team in the hope of triumphing in the US championships. Sporting comedy, starring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn and Christine Taylor.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

paco

A Few Good Men is on at the same time.

EagleLord

Dodgeball, every time.
Fuckin Chuck Norris..
I seen that Benjamin Button not too long ago, odd oul film alright. It just seemed very slow and boring to me and her. I know its not an action film like but it seemed to go on forever.

HiMucker

Saw NEDS there at the weekend and as someone pointed out average enough.
Seen three days later with Russel Crowe, good show but a bit for fetched.
Seen another film A Prohet, french subtitled, brilliant.  Said on the back of box  "God Father meets Scarface"   that drew me in.

Plenty of great foreign language films out there if you can out up with reading subtitles.  I mentioned a few pages back a couple.  Mesrine - about a famous french bank robber, good show and the other one was Tell No One.  Brilliant.  Im just wondering has anybody took me on :D and watched them, and what they thought of them.

Ah aye got Secret in their Eyes to watch tonight.  Argentinian film, won an oscar, anyone seen it?

Don Johnson

I was slightly disappointed with Un Prophete, don't get me wrong it was a solid 7/10 but the reviews (like the one you mentioned on the back of the dvd case) maybe put up my expectations too much.

I really loved Mesrine though, excellent films. I think Vincent Cassel is a great actor though, watch La Haine, a film he did about the slums of Paris years ago, very good.

Have lent a few of those dvds out, would need to get them all gathered up.

Must look up that "Tell No One" film.

The Lives Of Others is a good German one about the Stasi secretly monitoring actors, musicians etc back in the 80s. Great show.

HiMucker

Quote from: Don Johnson on May 31, 2011, 01:15:18 PM
I was slightly disappointed with Un Prophete, don't get me wrong it was a solid 7/10 but the reviews (like the one you mentioned on the back of the dvd case) maybe put up my expectations too much.

I really loved Mesrine though, excellent films. I think Vincent Cassel is a great actor though, watch La Haine, a film he did about the slums of Paris years ago, very good.

Have lent a few of those dvds out, would need to get them all gathered up.

Must look up that "Tell No One" film.

The Lives Of Others is a good German one about the Stasi secretly monitoring actors, musicians etc back in the 80s. Great show.
Know what you mean Don.  But I read on the internet that nearly the whole film was him in prison, so it sort of braced me for the fact that it wouldn be a as glamorous andwasnt going to be the same meteoric rise of a ganster like in scarface or godfather.  More realistic in a way and lends itself to a sequel.  Vincent Cassel is a super actor.  Must have a watch at those other films you mentioned.
Im thinking about signing up to Ilovefilm.com via the PS3.  Think its £10 a month and unlimited streaming of movies to your PS3.  Has anyone done it or know what its like?

Capt Pat

You should watch Gomorrah it is an Italian gangster movie.

Quote from: HiMucker on May 31, 2011, 10:59:36 AM
Seen another film A Prohet, french subtitled, brilliant.  Said on the back of box  "God Father meets Scarface"   that drew me in.

Plenty of great foreign language films out there if you can out up with reading subtitles.  I mentioned a few pages back a couple.  Mesrine - about a famous french bank robber, good show and the other one was Tell No One.  Brilliant.  Im just wondering has anybody took me on :D and watched them, and what they thought of them.

Ah aye got Secret in their Eyes to watch tonight.  Argentinian film, won an oscar, anyone seen it?

HiMucker

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 31, 2011, 02:42:31 PM
You should watch Gomorrah it is an Italian gangster movie.

Quote from: HiMucker on May 31, 2011, 10:59:36 AM

Seen it lad, good show.  But i tell ye whats even better, the book!  A real eye opener into the economic systems at work in Europe.  A must read if your interested in those books on organised crime