Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

The mechanic isgood enough, you know what you are getting with statham.

7 out of 10.

Neds starts well bit gets a bit strange at times.
7.5 out of10.
I saw True Grit tonight,it was ok. I will watch it again to see if it improves, the build up is ok but the ending is a bit flat 7 out of 10 after first viewing.

Don Johnson

Watched three films I hadn't seen before this weekend.

1 - Sympathy For Mr Vengeance: Brilliant show, part of the vengeance trilogy mentioned earlier in the thread. The story in this one wasn't as good as Oldboy but it was still good and certainly matched it for gore and violence! Though this film was the first of the three so maybe they got better as they were released. Now to get Sympathy For Lady Vengeance.

2 - Miller's Crossing: I am a big lover of gangster films so I m not sure how this one evaded me for so long, probably because I am not a big fan of the Coens but got round to watching it this afternoon. Thought it was a very slick written film with great performances, especially Gabriel Byrne. Great storyline and would watch again.

3 - Roadhouse: My guilty pleasure of the weekend but I probably enjoyed this one the most. Classic 80s cheese, no thinking required, Swayze at his best. He was in some nick for this and it was a good laugh, what more could you want? It had everything, comedy, violence, romance and one man transforming an entire town by himself. Legend.

Orior

Office Space, starting now on Film4+1
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stiffler

Watched a few films recently. Its kind of a funny story with zach galifianakis. Pretty tame affair, with a few chuckles 4/10. The town- cracking show, impressed with afleck in this 8.5/10. Neds- was dissapointed in this one, the ending left me thoroughly underwhelmed 3.5/10.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

ziggysego

I'm thinking of heading to the cinema some night this week, but not sure what to see. Narrowed it down to two:

1:- The Fighter
2:- True Grit

Which would you all recommend.
Testing Accessibility

Don Johnson

Quote from: ziggysego on February 13, 2011, 11:08:59 PM
I'm thinking of heading to the cinema some night this week, but not sure what to see. Narrowed it down to two:

Black Swan.

I haven't seen either of them tbf.

AFS

Buried - Boring and stupid.

Catfish - Interesting.

The Real Laoislad

The Fighter is brilliant
You'll Never Walk Alone.

HiMucker

Right just seen this, i started new threaad deleted now.

Fighter is good.  Bale is amazing in it, worth seeing his performance alone.  I heard he is a method actor and stayed in character the whole time during filming and even lived with the guy he is playing for a few weeks.  Crazy bastardo

My recomendations are:

Mesrine
Tell No One (both french sub tittle, both brilliant)
The town, good
The Prestige brilliant

Seen them all recently

Agnes Dipesto

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 14, 2011, 04:39:51 PM

The Fighter is brilliant

The Fighter. Loved it. Bale is fantastic in it.

ziggysego

Sorry, didn't take any of your advice and went to see True Grit instead.

I really enjoyed the film, much more than I was expecting. Jeff Bridges was excellent as usual. Didn't realise Matt Damon was in it though. Didn't put a foot wrong, but I just felt the casting was wrong. Hard to get round my head, him as a cowboy. Hailee Steinfeld was brilliant as Mattie. Very good wee actress in the making, especially considering this was her first movie and it being a major role.

8/10.
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Matt Damon was much better than Jeff Bridges.

Do not watch the American. What a pahal of shite.

Capt Pat

The Fighter is a lot better than true grit.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Puckoon on February 16, 2011, 01:38:45 AM
Matt Damon was much better than Jeff Bridges.

Do not watch the American. What a pahal of shite.

I thought the American was ok. I would even reccomend it, not brilliant or anything and not rated well on imdb but watchable.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Don Johnson on February 13, 2011, 11:21:31 PM

Black Swan.

I haven't seen either of them tbf.

Black Swan just doesn't appeal to me at all, I know it's probably very good, but there's nothing I've heard about it that would make me want to see it.