Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: thewobbler on February 02, 2011, 05:18:44 PM
The Town is an infinite improvement on Heat. Heat was about an hour too long and genuinely lacked suspense. A very overrated film imho.

Couldn't agree with you more. An element of "the Emperor's New Clothes "attached to Heat solely because of the 1st on screen pairing of Pacino and DeNiro.
Watched it the once, not impressed and never watched it again.

nrico2006

I thought Heat was brilliant, Pacino annoyed the hell out of me in it with his over-acting and shouting but still loved it.  Think The Departed is hugely over-rated though.  The Town was very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Capt Pat

I saw Sanctum 3D over the weekend. It is good enough but a bit over the top in terms of being too intense to enjoy. I will still give it 7 out of 10, ImdB have it at 5.5 out of 10.

You should try watching Sanctum and Black Swan, 2 movies in a row and see how you feel afterwards. The head will be wrecked.

ross matt

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 07, 2011, 01:21:48 PM
I thought Heat was brilliant, Pacino annoyed the hell out of me in it with his over-acting and shouting but still loved it.  Think The Departed is hugely over-rated though.  The Town was very good.

Thought Nicholson did the same in The Departed. Hamming it up big time.

Canalman

Thought the "Rat Scene" was way ott in The Departed. While enjoyable ,TD was only middling to good imo. Too many gaping holes in plot for me.
Shows what I know when both it and Slumdog Millionaire (total dung) swept all before them.

Presently on a foreign language film watching spree

Hidden (French thriller) tonight and Pan's Labyrinth tomorrow (really looking forward to it).

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: ziggysego on February 01, 2011, 12:57:57 PM
I'd hate to watch Buried. It's one of my fears, so I'm sure it would terrify me.

Denn Forever

If you are on a foreign movies spree, may I suggest some light relief by watching Man Bites Dog.

A camera crew follows a serial killer/thief around as he exercises his craft. He expounds on art, music..

Really enjoyed it.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Canalman

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 07, 2011, 05:21:20 PM
If you are on a foreign movies spree, may I suggest some light relief by watching Man Bites Dog.

A camera crew follows a serial killer/thief around as he exercises his craft. He expounds on art, music..

Really enjoyed it.

Seen it Denn . Thanks for tip. A Belgian film I believe.

If you like that type of movie try The Magician , an Australian film about a Melbourne hitman. Similiar type story with a great scene in it where they argue about the actors in The Magnificent Seven. Low Budget though.

CiKe

Quote from: Canalman on February 07, 2011, 01:11:06 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 02, 2011, 05:18:44 PM
The Town is an infinite improvement on Heat. Heat was about an hour too long and genuinely lacked suspense. A very overrated film imho.

Couldn't agree with you more. An element of "the Emperor's New Clothes "attached to Heat solely because of the 1st on screen pairing of Pacino and DeNiro.
Watched it the once, not impressed and never watched it again.

I'll have to disagree. The Town is enjoyable enough but formulaic and cliche ridden. I'd agree with someone mentioned that LA Takedown was better but Heat was brilliant.

CiKe

Quote from: Canalman on February 07, 2011, 05:11:54 PM
Thought the "Rat Scene" was way ott in The Departed. While enjoyable ,TD was only middling to good imo. Too many gaping holes in plot for me.
Shows what I know when both it and Slumdog Millionaire (total dung) swept all before them.

Presently on a foreign language film watching spree

Hidden (French thriller) tonight and Pan's Labyrinth tomorrow (really looking forward to it).

Both great films, loved Hidden

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Canalman on February 07, 2011, 10:01:06 AM
Saw a Korean movie called Oldboy at the weekend on DVD. Seriouslly shocking ending to the film and I don't shock too easily. A headwrecker of a flick. Can't reallly see "Hollywood" queuing up to remake it due to its ending.

Was this a film about a brother getting revenge over his sisters death/suicide? If it was it was totally disturbing.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CiKe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2011, 09:41:28 PM
Quote from: Canalman on February 07, 2011, 10:01:06 AM
Saw a Korean movie called Oldboy at the weekend on DVD. Seriouslly shocking ending to the film and I don't shock too easily. A headwrecker of a flick. Can't reallly see "Hollywood" queuing up to remake it due to its ending.

Was this a film about a brother getting revenge over his sisters death/suicide? If it was it was totally disturbing.

That's the one. Lady Vengeance is another one from same director, more f*cked up I think. Don Johnson mentioned another one again earlier in the thread

thewobbler

Heat actually really disappointed me twice. The first time, when it came out, then the 2nd time last year when I thought my greater appreciation of the principles might tip the balance. If anything it was worse the 2nd time.

Other disappointments for me:

- Gladiator. Some breathtakingly good parts to it, but the incest thing added an unneeded and drawn out half hour to things.

- Slumdog Millionaire. Felt like a glossy TV movie.

- Magnolia. Critically acclaimed but unwatcheable.

- The Thin Red Line. Perhaps the single moat boring war movie ever made.

- Scarface. Loved the soundtrack, loved the plot. Didn't like the way it played out. Pacino overacting from early in his career.

- Fargo. I tried to like this film, but it just can't hook me.

- Anything with John Wayne in it. Admittedly I've only watched 4 or 5 of these, but there's no draw for me.   

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on February 07, 2011, 11:18:04 PM
Heat actually really disappointed me twice. The first time, when it came out, then the 2nd time last year when I thought my greater appreciation of the principles might tip the balance. If anything it was worse the 2nd time.

Other disappointments for me:

- Gladiator. Some breathtakingly good parts to it, but the incest thing added an unneeded and drawn out half hour to things.

- Slumdog Millionaire. Felt like a glossy TV movie.

- Magnolia. Critically acclaimed but unwatcheable.

- Scarface. Loved the soundtrack, loved the plot. Didn't like the way it played out. Pacino overacting from early in his career.

- Fargo. I tried to like this film, but it just can't hook me.

- Anything with John Wayne in it. Admittedly I've only watched 4 or 5 of these, but there's no draw for me.
Love Mann's stuff - Thief, Manhunter, LA Takedown, Collateral, Heat. Love them all and he makes a nice looking picture. You could frame some of the scenes in Manhunter.

Bogball XV

Quote from: thewobbler on February 07, 2011, 11:18:04 PM

read the book and was really looking forward to the movie, the trailers were great, the cast seemed stellar and it was incredibly tedious.