Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

A film to record/Sky+ tonight on Channel 4.

Revert to your student days.

Withnail & I (T) (1986, Comedy)
Two hard-drinking unemployed actors sharing a grotty flat in late 1960s London think they can escape their miserable existence by decamping to a cottage in the Lake District. But finding no respite from their problems, the less self-destructive of the pair comes to realise he has to leave his friend behind. Cult black comedy, starring Richard E Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths and Ralph Brown.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggysego

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 22, 2011, 12:19:47 PM

Two hard-drinking unemployed actors sharing a grotty flat in late 1960s London think they can escape their miserable existence by decamping to a cottage in the Lake District. But finding no respite from their problems, the less self-destructive of the pair comes to realise he has to leave his friend behind. Cult black comedy, starring Richard E Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths and Ralph Brown.

A film I always mean to watch, but miss on TV. Thanks for the advance notification, I'll Sky+ it to be sure.
Testing Accessibility

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 22, 2011, 12:19:47 PM

The best film ever! "Two pints of cider, two quadruple vodkas, ....ice in the cider"

The Iceman

Got the PS3 there for Christmas, wanted a Blu Ray player so it made sense to get the PS3.
Anyways haven't really not enjoyed a film since. It makes mediocre films very watchable.
Thought Inception was great, Knight and Day was ok, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Grown Ups.
All very watchable....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Capt Pat

Watched Black Swan tonight. What a mind f**k that was. The trailer tells you nothing about this movie. It has to be watched as an experience. I dpn't quite know how to rate it.

8 out of 10 for originality and intrigue.

Eamonnca1

Just saw The King's Speech last night. Great show. Great performances from all the cast, Colin Firth was outstanding. Nice little story too.

paco

Goodfellas tonight on ITV4 at 10. :)

Puckoon

Watched the town last night. Not sure what to make of it. This is happening me too often with movies now, I must be growing more stupid. It was watchable, and Affleck was enjoyable as he seems to be when he takes on these serious roles - but it was just too predictable near the end.

nrico2006

Quote from: Puckoon on January 28, 2011, 12:02:21 AM
Watched the town last night. Not sure what to make of it. This is happening me too often with movies now, I must be growing more stupid. It was watchable, and Affleck was enjoyable as he seems to be when he takes on these serious roles - but it was just too predictable near the end.

SPOILER ALERT:

I suppose I thought the opposite, what I mean is I thought that he would get killed at the end.  Watched Gone Baby Gone last night for first time since it was released, brilliant show.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Celt_Man

Watched Gone Baby Gone on RTÉ 1 the other night, great movie - yer man Casey Affleck is very good in it and Michelle Monahan is shocking easy on the eyes which always helps...

Watched Wanted on TV3 from the weekend there - what a steaming pile of horseshite, the plot is just so stupid (I know it is based on a comic) - a bunch of weavers just decided to become a International Group of Assassins - bit of a leap... How Morgan Freeman ever allowed himself to go into that one, I'll never know -  you'd have to guess that he lost a bet or something
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Mario

Quote from: The Iceman on January 22, 2011, 07:12:34 PM
Got the PS3 there for Christmas, wanted a Blu Ray player so it made sense to get the PS3.
Anyways haven't really not enjoyed a film since. It makes mediocre films very watchable.
I can't say i agree with the above. A Mediocre film is mediocre regardless of blu ray or dvd, just because it looks good doesnt make the storyline good. Its like an ugly girl with make up on, shes still ugly

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 25, 2011, 08:23:15 AM
Just saw The King's Speech last night. Great show. Great performances from all the cast, Colin Firth was outstanding. Nice little story too.

I don't really have any great desire to go watch this flick it sounds boring and call me narrow minded but i prefer going to watch movies when the british are wankers i.e:

michael collins
wind that shakes the barley
braveheart
that other one with mel gibson in the american war.

Should i go watch this monarchy stuff is it worth it?

AbbeySider

I watched The Kings Speech last night.

Its a really good movie but I dont think it lives up to all the hype. Firth and Geoffrey Rush give brilliant performances and you cant help but feel some empathy for Firths character battling the speech impediment.

It also give an interesting insight to the lives and relationship between the royals with WW2 impending on their doorstep. Thats not a West Brit attitude either before someone jumps down my throat. Much of the film doesnt exactly shade the royal family in magnificent light as its a warts and all portrayal.

I would give it an 8/10

Canalman

Alpha Dog on tonight at 11.30pm. Is it worth a watch?

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 28, 2011, 01:10:24 PM
Watched Gone Baby Gone on RTÉ 1 the other night, great movie - yer man Casey Affleck is very good in it and Michelle Monahan is shocking easy on the eyes which always helps...

Watched Wanted on TV3 from the weekend there - what a steaming pile of horseshite, the plot is just so stupid (I know it is based on a comic) - a bunch of weavers just decided to become a International Group of Assassins - bit of a leap... How Morgan Freeman ever allowed himself to go into that one, I'll never know -  you'd have to guess that he lost a bet or something

Wathced it myself... Angelina just saved it for me!  ;)