Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 08, 2011, 12:34:34 PM
I saw 127 hours last night, i thought it was pretty average to be honest. Danny Boyle gave it socks but it is hard to make a good movie out of such a limited scenario. You already know the ending, and the story is limited to that boulder.

6.5 out of 10

Better movies with similar themes are "Buried" and "The Way Back"
I downloaded it and turned it off after 15 minutes - boring.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Watched the Fighter tonight about a boxer called Irish Micky Ward, had never heard of him before but really enjoyed the film and just spent the last hour looking at some of his fights on you tube
You'll Never Walk Alone.

CiKe

RLL not sure about the film but his scraps with Gatti reckoned to be among the best of the last 10 years and one of the most exciting trilogies

gallsman

I haven't seen it but George Kimball, who knows infinitely more than any of us about boxing, thought it was crap.

Denn Forever

For Movie Connoisseurs, Blazing Saddles tomorrow night at 9.00pm on TCM.

I get no kick from Champagne............
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on January 10, 2011, 11:09:48 PM
I haven't seen it but George Kimball, who knows infinitely more than any of us about boxing, thought it was crap.
It's not a documentary.

nrico2006

Seen Ben Affleck's new film Town at the weekend, very enjoyable.  Could have done a bit more with the ending, but overall still very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Colin Firth and Christian Bale picked up Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor Golden Globes last night for The Kings Speech and The Fighter, respectively. I think The Social Network won best picture.

lurganblue

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 17, 2011, 10:22:22 AM
Seen Ben Affleck's new film Town at the weekend, very enjoyable.  Could have done a bit more with the ending, but overall still very good.

yeah i watched the town at the weekend too. well worth a watch.  on the other hand i also watched the Ghost with Pierce Brosnan. avoid at all costs. boring as feck

NAG1

After the Thomas Crown Affair has Brosnan done anything decent?

Canalman

Agree with previous posters that The Town is a very good film and I am not a fan of Afleck's at all.
Saw 127Hours  (sic)last night................ massively average imo.

Really looking forward to the new boxing film coming out soon . Looks very good with Wahlberg and Bale in it.

For anyone interested it seems that Scorsese is going to do another film shortly about the Irish American mob. Might be worth a watch.

Don Johnson

Quote from: CiKe on January 10, 2011, 10:07:47 PM
watched a couple of South Korean films recently:

1) Old Boy, about a guy released from prison after 15yrs, and not knowing why he was locked up who seeks revenge, was interesting
2) Memories of Murder based on South Korea's first documented serial killer, told from point of view of detectives investigating. Thought it was excellent.

Old Boy is a great show. I am going to watch Sympathy For Mister Vengeance tonight from the same director.

Watched La Haine last night starring a very young Vincent Cassel about a day in the lives of three youths in the slums of Paris. Highly recommend it as well as the Mesrine films while I am on about Cassel.

Canalman

Agreed Don Johnson about the Mesrine films. Very hard to believe sometimes that the films are based on a true story.

ziggysego

Watched Benny & Joon on VIVA last night. Not a bad wee movie for a Sunday night, to see off the weekend. Bit of a chick flick, but so what.
Testing Accessibility

CiKe

Yeah I enjoyed Mesrine as well, def worth a watch,

DJ I watched Lady Vengeance recently for the same fella did Old Boy. A bit more f*cked up in many ways I thought, and wasn't really sure if I actually liked it till the end, when I decided that at no time had I been bored so it must have been ok at worst.

Saw The Hurt Locker at the weekend - nothing special in my opinion but enjoyable enough. Def would not say worthy of an Oscar

Also saw The Killer Inside Me. Decent enough but for some reason expected better.