Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 03, 2010, 02:12:16 PM
Watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels for the first time in years on Sunday, very enjoyable.

Just starting now on TG4, great show.

tyrone girl

Just back from seeing Karate Kid - great film. Loved it

clarshack

Quote from: tyrone girl on August 03, 2010, 11:05:15 PM
Just back from seeing Karate Kid - great film. Loved it

no way can it be as good as the original one.

tyrone girl

Very very similar to the original - really enjoyed it.

Trout

Quote from: tyrone girl on August 04, 2010, 09:58:03 AM

Was there many prods at the cinema?
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

screenexile

Went to Toy Story 3 last night. Watched it in 3D and frankly I don't think there was any need for it to be in 3D.

I must say though it kicked the ass out of the recent Shrek film. It was funny, has a decent plotline and was just exactly what I was hoping for from it. Hugely enjoyable and with the reports of A Team and Karate Kid seemingly decent enough I think this is going to be a good month for going to the movies.

tyrone girl

Quote from: Trout on August 04, 2010, 10:29:37 AM

Was there many prods at the cinema?

Loads  ::)

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on August 04, 2010, 11:29:21 AM
Went to Toy Story 3 last night. Watched it in 3D and frankly I don't think there was any need for it to be in 3D.

I must say though it kicked the ass out of the recent Shrek film. It was funny, has a decent plotline and was just exactly what I was hoping for from it. Hugely enjoyable and with the reports of A Team and Karate Kid seemingly decent enough I think this is going to be a good month for going to the movies.

I brought the little fella and his two cousins to see Toy Story 3 last week, 2D though. There was about 30 adults in the cinema, and towards the end there was a lot of little 'coughs' and sniffles.

very sentimental for adults, but kids don't give a crap :D

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2010, 04:23:01 PM

I brought the little fella and his two cousins to see Toy Story 3 last week, 2D though. There was about 30 adults in the cinema, and towards the end there was a lot of little 'coughs' and sniffles.

Care to add your name to the list AZ? :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10814813

2 August 2010 Last updated at 07:47 ET Share this pageFacebookTwitter ShareEmail Print Twenty films that make men cryContinue reading the main story

A new type of tear-jerker In response to the Magazine's discussion about why Toy Story 3 makes men cry male readers have been getting in touch with their emotional side and opening up about their own private tear-jerkers. Here is a selection.

1. There's one scene for me, it's the Grey Havens at the end of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I've seen it loads of times, but even as a man in my 30s, it still manages to get me going every single time! The emotion of the characters, having gone through their personal sacrifices (particularly Frodo of course), coupled with Howard Shore's brilliantly moving score always makes me weepy with that lump in the throat feeling.

Andy Bishop, Bromley, Kent

2. The Shawshank Redemption had me in fits of tears because of the joy and happiness that ensues when those two lifelong companions are reunited on that beach. The hardships they've endured and the power of their friendship stirs the longing for good friends in me. Yep, I'm a weeper and proud!

Chris Mattley, Lincoln

Babe. Some pig... 3. Picture this: me, my wife, her mom and dad, my mom and dad, the kids. We go to a movie all together for the first time ever. We go to Up and the only person in the group not sobbing is my father in law. Now I finally have proof that he is a robot. My dad cried for an hour. I tried to hold it back, but my throat was throbbing so hard it felt dangerous not to give in. Then I let it rip like a little girl.

Steve, West Kelowna, British Columbia

4. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest has a tragic ending, and makes me bleary eyed when I think too hard on it, but the tears strangely intensify upon the victorious final shot, to see something positive and good come from such bleakness and despair.

Mike, Essex

5. The one film that makes me cry every time I watch it is Marley and Me. When he says goodbye to the dying Marley... I'm starting to fill up just thinking about it. I don't know if it's because I have a dog and have had to go through the heartache of saying goodbye before to my previous dog when she passed away but this film makes me cry more than any other.

Chris Hennessey, Manchester

6. When I was a tender 18-year-old in the RAF, they showed The Champ to a bunch of us raw recruits. The room filled with male bravado soon quietened down and although dark you could see sparkling eyes. Nobody dared talk for fear of showing a trembling voice.

The Green Mile often gets men blubbing Keith Aisthorpe, Colombo, Sri Lanka

7. I wailed out loud at the end of The Notebook which wouldn't have been so bad except I was in the middle row in a packed 747 and I don't think anyone else was watching it. Oh the shame.

Bob

8. I'm a 48-year-old man, ex-rugby player and motorcycle racer and I admit that Babe did it for me. Right at the end when the farmer says "That'll do Pig". I start welling up at the thought of it.

Chris, Bromsgrove, UK

9. I never cried at movies until after my daughter was born. The first time was Field of Dreams. When Kevin Costner had a catch with his father, I was bawling. I purchase the film every time it comes out on a new medium (video, DVD, anniversary edition, Blu-Ray), and I still cry. In fact, I cry before that scene, in anticipation. Some day, when the holographic version is released, I will cry on James Earl Jones when he says "for it is money they have and peace they lack".

Anon, Westchester, USA

Not a dry eye at the end of The Railway Children 10. I have only seen my Dad cry on two occasions, and one of them was during Chariots of Fire.

Lauren McConnell, Taunton

11. The end of The Railway Children, with Jenny Agutter running down the platform crying "Daddy, my daddy" gets me every single time. I must have seen it 25-30 times over the years and on every occasion, I am a gibbering wreck.

Ian Dickens, Beeston, UK

12. The Finnish sauna documentary, Steam of Life, had a reputation for being a tear-jerker. I didn't believe it until I went to see it myself, and all the men in the cinema were in tears. Fantastic doc, by the way.

Anu, Helsinki, Finland

13. The 1941 Tom and Jerry cartoon The Night Before Christmas has a very emotional ending. Tom sees Jerry freezing in the cold bitter snow outside the house and then feels bad for Jerry. He warms him up by the fire and gives him a Candy Cane as a present and Jerry then takes a mousetrap hidden in Tom's bowl of milk and Tom and Jerry become friends. This is probably the most emotional scene in a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Joe Ross, Shoeburyness, England

14. Man On Fire, with Denzel. A hard hearted soldier of fortune discovers the inherent goodness of human nature in a child and gives his life in exchange for hers. I can't watch it without crying.

Christopher, Milton Keynes

15. The only film that got me blubbing was Life is Beautiful right at the end when the little boy gets to ride on the tank after winning hide and seek and then finding his mother. What made it worse was I was in the middle of a flight to New Zealand, it was half past something in the morning, everyone else was asleep and I was crying like a three-year-old whose balloon had burst.

Mike Riley, Hampshire

The Italian Job remake made some critics cry 16. Bridge to Terabithia had both myself and my 12-year-old son in tears in the cinema, openly asking each other why the girl had to die. I am not worried about being teary in front of my sons; I think it's good to let them know it's OK to let your feelings show.

Terence Fisher, Crawley, England

17. The bit in The Italian Job where the Mafia smash Michael Caine's Aston Martin and the two E-Types had me crying like a baby.

Ben Halstead, Leeds, UK

18. Rocky winning the title and manages to say "'except for my kid being born this is the greatest day in the history of my life, I just want to say one thing, to my wife at home, Yo Adrian... I did it!" Gets me every time!

Ben, Hartlepool

19. My Life as A Dog, a Swedish film that observes a 12-year-old boy, Ingemar, struggling with life with a terminally ill mother and an absent father as well as meeting all the normal developments that life presents us. The tear-jerker for me is how Ingemar tries to come to terms with the story of Laika (a theme that runs through the whole film), a dog sent to space with a guaranteed death sentence. Ingemar consoles himself constantly with "life could be worse" - [I'm] in tears now.

Patrick, Newcastle upon Tyne

20. If I want a really good purgative cry then it has to be Truly, Madly, Deeply. That's one film I can only watch on my own.

Canalman

Saw American Werewolf in London for the first time in yonks earlier in week. Has aged reasonably well (30 years old) and imo is well worth watching. Watch out for all the English actors in it who went on to "better things".

Jenny Agutter is seriously hot in it.

Will be repeated again no doubt. Was on one of the NTL channels.

delboy

Bright eyes at the end of watership down when hazel goes to meet his ancestors usually has my eyes going a bit misty.

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on August 06, 2010, 01:15:53 PM
Saw American Werewolf in London for the first time in yonks earlier in week. Has aged reasonably well (30 years old) and imo is well worth watching. Watch out for all the English actors in it who went on to "better things".

Jenny Agutter is seriously hot in it.

Will be repeated again no doubt. Was on one of the NTL channels.

Never seen the original until I Sky Plussed it a few months ago and the one thing I remember about it is Jenny Agutter, unbelievable in it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Puckoon on August 04, 2010, 05:34:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2010, 04:23:01 PM

Care to add your name to the list AZ? :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10814813

2 August 2010 Last updated at 07:47 ET Share this pageFacebookTwitter ShareEmail Print Twenty films that make men cryContinue reading the main story

A new type of tear-jerker In response to the Magazine's discussion about why Toy Story 3 makes men cry male readers have been getting in touch with their emotional side and opening up about their own private tear-jerkers. Here is a selection.

1. There's one scene for me, it's the Grey Havens at the end of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I've seen it loads of times, but even as a man in my 30s, it still manages to get me going every single time! The emotion of the characters, having gone through their personal sacrifices (particularly Frodo of course), coupled with Howard Shore's brilliantly moving score always makes me weepy with that lump in the throat feeling.

Andy Bishop, Bromley, Kent

2. The Shawshank Redemption had me in fits of tears because of the joy and happiness that ensues when those two lifelong companions are reunited on that beach. The hardships they've endured and the power of their friendship stirs the longing for good friends in me. Yep, I'm a weeper and proud!

Chris Mattley, Lincoln

Babe. Some pig... 3. Picture this: me, my wife, her mom and dad, my mom and dad, the kids. We go to a movie all together for the first time ever. We go to Up and the only person in the group not sobbing is my father in law. Now I finally have proof that he is a robot. My dad cried for an hour. I tried to hold it back, but my throat was throbbing so hard it felt dangerous not to give in. Then I let it rip like a little girl.

Steve, West Kelowna, British Columbia

4. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest has a tragic ending, and makes me bleary eyed when I think too hard on it, but the tears strangely intensify upon the victorious final shot, to see something positive and good come from such bleakness and despair.

Mike, Essex

5. The one film that makes me cry every time I watch it is Marley and Me. When he says goodbye to the dying Marley... I'm starting to fill up just thinking about it. I don't know if it's because I have a dog and have had to go through the heartache of saying goodbye before to my previous dog when she passed away but this film makes me cry more than any other.

Chris Hennessey, Manchester

6. When I was a tender 18-year-old in the RAF, they showed The Champ to a bunch of us raw recruits. The room filled with male bravado soon quietened down and although dark you could see sparkling eyes. Nobody dared talk for fear of showing a trembling voice.

The Green Mile often gets men blubbing Keith Aisthorpe, Colombo, Sri Lanka

7. I wailed out loud at the end of The Notebook which wouldn't have been so bad except I was in the middle row in a packed 747 and I don't think anyone else was watching it. Oh the shame.

Bob

8. I'm a 48-year-old man, ex-rugby player and motorcycle racer and I admit that Babe did it for me. Right at the end when the farmer says "That'll do Pig". I start welling up at the thought of it.

Chris, Bromsgrove, UK

9. I never cried at movies until after my daughter was born. The first time was Field of Dreams. When Kevin Costner had a catch with his father, I was bawling. I purchase the film every time it comes out on a new medium (video, DVD, anniversary edition, Blu-Ray), and I still cry. In fact, I cry before that scene, in anticipation. Some day, when the holographic version is released, I will cry on James Earl Jones when he says "for it is money they have and peace they lack".

Anon, Westchester, USA

Not a dry eye at the end of The Railway Children 10. I have only seen my Dad cry on two occasions, and one of them was during Chariots of Fire.

Lauren McConnell, Taunton

11. The end of The Railway Children, with Jenny Agutter running down the platform crying "Daddy, my daddy" gets me every single time. I must have seen it 25-30 times over the years and on every occasion, I am a gibbering wreck.

Ian Dickens, Beeston, UK

12. The Finnish sauna documentary, Steam of Life, had a reputation for being a tear-jerker. I didn't believe it until I went to see it myself, and all the men in the cinema were in tears. Fantastic doc, by the way.

Anu, Helsinki, Finland

13. The 1941 Tom and Jerry cartoon The Night Before Christmas has a very emotional ending. Tom sees Jerry freezing in the cold bitter snow outside the house and then feels bad for Jerry. He warms him up by the fire and gives him a Candy Cane as a present and Jerry then takes a mousetrap hidden in Tom's bowl of milk and Tom and Jerry become friends. This is probably the most emotional scene in a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Joe Ross, Shoeburyness, England

14. Man On Fire, with Denzel. A hard hearted soldier of fortune discovers the inherent goodness of human nature in a child and gives his life in exchange for hers. I can't watch it without crying.

Christopher, Milton Keynes

15. The only film that got me blubbing was Life is Beautiful right at the end when the little boy gets to ride on the tank after winning hide and seek and then finding his mother. What made it worse was I was in the middle of a flight to New Zealand, it was half past something in the morning, everyone else was asleep and I was crying like a three-year-old whose balloon had burst.

Mike Riley, Hampshire

The Italian Job remake made some critics cry 16. Bridge to Terabithia had both myself and my 12-year-old son in tears in the cinema, openly asking each other why the girl had to die. I am not worried about being teary in front of my sons; I think it's good to let them know it's OK to let your feelings show.

Terence Fisher, Crawley, England

17. The bit in The Italian Job where the Mafia smash Michael Caine's Aston Martin and the two E-Types had me crying like a baby.

Ben Halstead, Leeds, UK

18. Rocky winning the title and manages to say "'except for my kid being born this is the greatest day in the history of my life, I just want to say one thing, to my wife at home, Yo Adrian... I did it!" Gets me every time!

Ben, Hartlepool

19. My Life as A Dog, a Swedish film that observes a 12-year-old boy, Ingemar, struggling with life with a terminally ill mother and an absent father as well as meeting all the normal developments that life presents us. The tear-jerker for me is how Ingemar tries to come to terms with the story of Laika (a theme that runs through the whole film), a dog sent to space with a guaranteed death sentence. Ingemar consoles himself constantly with "life could be worse" - [I'm] in tears now.

Patrick, Newcastle upon Tyne

20. If I want a really good purgative cry then it has to be Truly, Madly, Deeply. That's one film I can only watch on my own.
If you love dogs avoid Marley and Me, bridge to teribitha, aswell tough to watch but i didnt cry ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Capt Pat

Jenny Agutter makes another sexy appearance in Logans Run. Logans run is a good sci fi movie about not letting people live beyon d the age of 30.

ross4life

Posted it before, deserves a watch again  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open