Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: AFS on July 23, 2010, 09:47:27 PM
Inception. Meh. Entertaining couple of hours but nothing all that special. Despite the efforts to be overcomplicated, it's pretty much just a run of the mill action sci-fi for the most part. Enjoyable enough on that level, but with the massive plot holes and general bullshitery of it all I don't think you're really supposed to think about it that much.

Di Caprio was good, Tom Hardy was good, Ken Watanabe was good, and the FX were good.

Ellen Page was shit and poorly cast, Cillian Murphy was as annoying as usual, and the final scene felt like a stupid pointless gimmick.

Thought it was awesome myself, absolutely top drawer stuff. The last time I walked out of a movie feeling that WOW was the Matrix.

nrico2006

Watched Green Zone and it was decent.

Shutter Island was very good, best film I have seen in a while.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Stretching it a bit I know but a Reuniting the A Team programme is on TV3 tonight with Justin Lee Collins. Mandatory viewing imo for any 30plus male on this site. Great entertainment.

"Colonel Decker" makes an appearanc even.

Watched Ash Wednesday last night............ interesting flick set in the Irish American underworld in NY.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: stephenite on July 26, 2010, 02:03:02 AM
Quote from: AFS on July 23, 2010, 09:47:27 PM
Inception. Meh. Entertaining couple of hours but nothing all that special. Despite the efforts to be overcomplicated, it's pretty much just a run of the mill action sci-fi for the most part. Enjoyable enough on that level, but with the massive plot holes and general bullshitery of it all I don't think you're really supposed to think about it that much.

Di Caprio was good, Tom Hardy was good, Ken Watanabe was good, and the FX were good.

Ellen Page was shit and poorly cast, Cillian Murphy was as annoying as usual, and the final scene felt like a stupid pointless gimmick.

Thought it was awesome myself, absolutely top drawer stuff. The last time I walked out of a movie feeling that WOW was the Matrix.

Best film i've seen in a long time... right up my street! Loved Memento, Matrix, Shutter Island... think this was made for me!
Totally satisfied leaving the cinema class show!

Capt Pat

I saw Splice tonight a movie about genetic engineering. They create a half human half animal creature and bring her up in the lab. Unfeasibly bad in places I hope they are being tongue in cheek as there are a few funny moments that are not supposed to be funny? Overall a strangely entertaining B movie that sn't supposed to be taken too seriously. 6.5 out of 10.

screenexile

Anyone seen Toy Story 3 yet? Thinking about going to see it tonight.

ballinaman

Christopher Nolan would have failed his leaving cert English with that ending by the way....

Celt_Man

Saw Inception at the weekend - serious movie throughly enjoyable even if I had to concentrate unbelievably hard at it!!  Very cleverly written and even if the ending was slightly predictable, I'm not sure that it was a bad ending
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Capt Pat

I saw Toy Story 3D tonight. It was surprisingly good, funny, dramatic, clever and not really like a childs movie movie. I never really saw the other toy story movies but this one entertained me. It is of course needlessly 3D but it is not average like all the other 3D movies.

8 out of 10.

Doogie Browser

Not being an old fart or owt but I have been very underwhelmed at the lack of decent movies in recent years.  Sky Classics is the only film channel I watch with any regularity nowadays.

The Iceman

Seen a few films there over the past few weeks:
Green Zone - 6/7 out of 10
Strength and Honour - 4 out of 10
Alice in Wonderland - Visually stunning but not my cup of tea at all 5 out of 10
Legion - Horrible - 2 out of 10
Wolfman - 6 out of 10
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Goats Do Shave

Went to see the A - Team last night. Had to say I enjoyed it... It's been fairly well cast. Neeson can be a little annoying at times & some of the action scenes are over the top (& hard to watch with the shaky cam.) but overall it's entertaining with lots of humerous quips!

Capt Pat

The A team is entertaining. I give it 7.5 out of 10.

The thing I noticed was that it had remarkable parallels and similarities to the movie "The Losers " that was out earlier in the year. I don't know how things work in Hollywood, but someone copied someone elses movie.

mc_grens

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 30, 2010, 01:48:59 AM
The A team is entertaining. I give it 7.5 out of 10.

The thing I noticed was that it had remarkable parallels and similarities to the movie "The Losers " that was out earlier in the year. I don't know how things work in Hollywood, but someone copied someone elses movie.

Yup, that's how things work in Hollywood alright.

Canalman

Goal 2 on telly tonight. Worth a watch lads? Enjoyed the 1st Goal where he went to Newcastle FC. Not an oscar winner but very watchable.