Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

takeyourownpath

Galwaybhoy

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Gone Baby Gone is a fantastic film set in Boston surrounding the abduction of a child, its some film.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

AbbeySider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 19, 2010, 08:49:48 PM
Gone Baby Gone is a fantastic film set in Boston surrounding the abduction of a child, its some film.

I hated that film. It was a total imitation of the Maggie McCann case.

Capt Pat

Gone baby Gone was made before the McCann mess and her name was Maddie not Maggie as if you could forget after her parents turned it into the crime of the century after misplacing their own child. That had nothing to do Gone Baby Gone.

Bogball XV

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 19, 2010, 09:04:26 PM

it's release was stopped in the UK because it was scheduled for just after that, i'm sure the mccann's would be delighted if it had the same ending.

mc_grens

Inception was outstanding.

I think I'm ready to forgive Di Caprio for Titanic now. I think he's the best out there. Possibly the best since De Niro in the 70's.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 19, 2010, 10:54:45 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 19, 2010, 09:04:26 PM

it's release was stopped in the UK because it was scheduled for just after that, i'm sure the mccann's would be delighted if it had the same ending.

I fail to see how anyone could not thing Gone Baby Gone was an outstanding film, really dark, liked it alot.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Wee Shea

Just back from Inception myself. Thought it was amazing and I think I will go back to watch it again in the cinema.

Nolan is at the top of his game, way ahead of his peers as is Leo I think, unreal.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: mc_grens on July 19, 2010, 11:37:55 PM

I think I'm ready to forgive Di Caprio for Titanic now. I think he's the best out there. Possibly the best since De Niro in the 70's.

Look at his films over the last decade.  TBH I actually like Titanic but after making some terrible films such as The Beach he has gone on to make some great films in the last 10 years such as The Departed.  One of the best actors around.

mc_grens

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on July 20, 2010, 12:04:01 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on July 19, 2010, 11:37:55 PM

Look at his films over the last decade.  TBH I actually like Titanic but after making some terrible films such as The Beach he has gone on to make some great films in the last 10 years such as The Departed.  One of the best actors around.

Two performances like Inception and Shutter Island in one year is just showing off.

Capt Pat

I will have to go and see Inception again to see if it improves second time round like I did with his Dark Knight movie. I just didn'think it was an outstanding movie like everyone else.

mc_grens

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 20, 2010, 02:21:32 AM
I will have to go and see Inception again to see if it improves second time round like I did with his Dark Knight movie. I just didn'think it was an outstanding movie like everyone else.

Don't get me wrong- the movie has it's plot holes and it's faults. I just think Di Caprio himself was superb. I Know it's sci-fi and there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief involved but if his reaction to what's going on isn't believable the whole flick falls apart. Class performance.

nrico2006

Very good show. 

DiCaprio is a great actor, definitely one of the best around.  But who would be top of the pile today?  De Niro, Nicholson, Hoffman and Pacino are still about, and the like of Sean Penn, Terence Howard, Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Denzel Washington, John Malkovich, Gary Oldman, Edward Norton, Daniel-Day-Lewis, Morgan Freeman and Russel Crowe would be there or thereabouts.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

whiskeysteve

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 20, 2010, 09:19:36 AM

Very good show. 

DiCaprio is a great actor, definitely one of the best around.  But who would be top of the pile today?  De Niro, Nicholson, Hoffman and Pacino are still about, and the like of Sean Penn, Terence Howard, Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Denzel Washington, John Malkovich, Gary Oldman, Edward Norton, Daniel-Day-Lewis, Morgan Freeman and Russel Crowe would be there or thereabouts.

Depends on the role of course but I reckon Day-Lewis can get into a character better than any of them. Denzel is always denzel to me when hes on screen, dicaprio and matt damon also to a degree wont make you totally forget who they are. But day-lewis really lives on screen (and on set) as his characters (minus their real life deeds of course!).

Folks would go on about de niros method acting in terms of training as a boxer, driving a taxi, etc for months but day-lewis is still absolutely amazing at picking up the nuances of a different voice (not just 'doing an accent'), physical mannerisms, etc.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w