Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

I watched Cop Out with Bruce Willis - not a bad comedy. Its a parody of itself with lots of references to cop films. Its funny in parts and is a bit like an American version of Hot Fuzz. Id give it 3.5/5

I also saw Broklyns Finest - Ironically its a totally different look at the Brokyln NYPD. Its a gritty, dark warts and all look at the NYPD. I liked it but its far fetched and makes cops in the states out to be total scumbags in the film. Id give it 3.5/5 again

ross4life

V for vendetta was on the telly last night, seems to get better each time i watch it..  Hugo Weaving/Natalie Portman play great parts & the final fight scene is excellent

V: The only thing you and I have in common, Mr. Creedy, is that we are both about to die.
    Creedy: How do you imagine that'll happen?

V: With my hands around your neck.
    Creedy: Bollocks. We've swept this whole place. You've got nothing. Nothing but your bloody knives and your fancy    karate gimmicks. We have guns.

V: No. What you have are bullets and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.

Creedy: That's impossible. Kill him!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 15, 2010, 02:06:02 PM
Quote from: Canalman on July 15, 2010, 02:00:46 PM
Saw Midnight Run again on E4(I think) on Tuesday last. Absolutely brilliant.
Cracking show
Watch it every time it is on. Why are you so unpopular with the Chicago Police Department?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: paco on July 15, 2010, 01:21:41 PM
Finally, rented Shutter Island last night, jesus that was one strange film! I enjoyed it though, and it was unlike anything I've ever seen before.

One of the most predictable films I've ever watched
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stiffler

Anyone seen inception yet?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: stiffler on July 15, 2010, 10:46:38 PM

Going tomorrow, looking forward to it.  I heard good things about it, hope I'm not let down.

ballinaman

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on July 15, 2010, 10:48:15 PM

Going tomorrow, looking forward to it.  I heard good things about it, hope I'm not let down.
I've seen it. Don't go hungover or tired because it'll pass you by....

I thought it was class, very intelligent movie, some of the effects are unbelievable....It'll be one that ya'll watch again or even a few times because there is so much in it.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: ballinaman on July 15, 2010, 11:55:59 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on July 15, 2010, 10:48:15 PM

I've seen it. Don't go hungover or tired because it'll pass you by....

I thought it was class, very intelligent movie, some of the effects are unbelievable....It'll be one that ya'll watch again or even a few times because there is so much in it.

Saw it last night.  Despite being in the second row which is way too close to the screen, a power outage midway through and two annoying young girls sitting in front of me I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Very intelligent alright, very cleverly done.  Chris Nolan has been my favourite director for some time now and this film lived up to my expectations.  Might watch it again when it comes out on DVD to pick up parts I might have missed first time around but I must say its the best film I have seen this year so far and I don't expect to see one better.

ONeill

Quote from: Shortso79 on April 02, 2010, 04:12:39 PM
Went to see "I love you Philip Morris" last weekend - raw as ropes !

Still really don't know what to make of it. I think there are brilliant performances from McGregor and Carrey but there was just something missing to make it a smash hit. I'd still watch it again though.

I suppose they had to stick closely to Steven Russell's life story. Some man.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Capt Pat

I saw Predators the other day. It is a pretty good movie, as expected from the trailers. They are not as indestructible as they have been in previous movies, more realistic.

David McKeown

Saw Inception last night and whilst it was excellent particularly at building tension I thought it was a little predictable. Still well worth watching though
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Capt Pat

Inception is certainly worth watching in the cinema for visual effects. It is original but just not a great movie. I will give it 7 out of 10.

I am guessing that the real reason for this movie is a future tv series.

screenexile

Thought Inception was absolutely amazing. Great acting, crazy complicated storytelling, amazing effects it had everything for me I loved it.

Without giving the plot away I would best describe it as a cross between Heroes, the Matrix and Lost only it didn't lose the run of itself. As a one off film it went through the complicated story and then finished it off at its logical conclusion without getting too carried away. I would advise anyone to go see it 9.5/10!!

DirtyDozen12

Not Another Teen Movie was on Channel 5 last night.  Classy show:

"Im just the token black guy who is here to say things like "DAMN", "SHIT" and "THAT IS WHACK" '

:D
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

AbbeySider

Quote from: screenexile on July 19, 2010, 10:20:42 AM
Thought Inception was absolutely amazing. Great acting, crazy complicated storytelling, amazing effects it had everything for me I loved it.

Without giving the plot away I would best describe it as a cross between Heroes, the Matrix and Lost only it didn't lose the run of itself. As a one off film it went through the complicated story and then finished it off at its logical conclusion without getting too carried away. I would advise anyone to go see it 9.5/10!!

I thought that Nolan skipped over vital plot holes and failed to explain anything, he just muddled it all together without actually explaining anything. There is comparisons with the Matrix, but at least that story was somewhat explained.