Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Got to see Looking for Eric Last night i was expecting a crappy footy film about Eric Cantona! but it was uplifting, entertaining and amusing film With some good acting by Cantona!

I think the film kinda gave the message if you smoke hash everything will be ok?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AbbeySider

I saw Bad Leutenant - Port of call New Orleanes

Its absolutely f*cking sh!te.

Dower plot about a sc**bag cop you dont give a shite for.
Hated it.

Capt Pat

I saw Rec2 last night, a horror movie about zombies taking over a house and the police sealing it off and you see the movie through a video camera a group of cops carry around the house. A solid horror movie, 7 out of 10.

I think Bad Lieutenant is different, but is still a good and entertaining movie.

The other big news is that Resident Evil 4 is on the way. I am a fan of the game and 2 of the 3 movies. The trailer looked ok but didn't have any zombies.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Aerlik on May 25, 2010, 02:39:54 PM
I watched Food Inc. last Saturday night.  Bloody good show.  I anticipated it would be something like Ruth Ozeki's novel, My Year Of Meat which I read about 12 years ago.

It is really hard to believe that it is cheaper to buy two burgers from Muck Donalds than to buy three carrots.  FFS.
maybe in perth aerlik, but over here you can a bag with six carrots in it for 49c in aldi.
Quote from: The Iceman on May 25, 2010, 02:41:01 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on May 25, 2010, 01:05:38 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on May 24, 2010, 11:48:09 PM
by the by, I see RTÉ 2 are doing a Clint Eastwood weekend this weekend celebrating his 80th birthday.  Some cracking movies on the cards - a few Westerns, Dirty Harry movies and Letters from Iwo Jima - which I still haven't managed to see even though I've been meaning to since it came out on DVD

This won't be a popular statement, but Letters From Iwo Jima might be the best war movie ever made.

Have to completely disagree - it would not even make a top 3 list.
Read both books before watching the movies.  The books are epic, the movies are dull in comparison and can never fully convey the message the books expressed.

For War movies IMO you can't look past Saving Private Ryan
But you could say that about almost any book iceman, it's rare for a movie to live up to the book, i'd say almost impossible really, in fact, they're not comparable at all.

Capt Pat

Comparing books to movies , movies to books etc is stupid. How good can something be when you already know the ending and everything that happens along the way.

All I want to know is was the movie good? I don't want to know about the book. Save that for the book reccomendation topic.

Capt Pat

I saw The Losers tonight, about a teams os US secret service special forces that get framed for a crime they didn't commit kind of thing. Ithought it was a very good mixture of action and humour. Trying to copy the A Team and ride on their coat tails I suppose and if that or 'ots of cheesy humour and Hollywood action is going to bother you, don't go.

8 out of 10.

8 out of 10

paco

Anyone see Platoon last night on ITV4? Thought it was very good. Apocalypse Now on TCM tonight at 9 I think. War movies seem to be all the rage on TV at the minute, they must really be paying attention to this thread!

Nally Stand

Watched Shutter Island last night. Great film. And havent seen a great film in a long time up until this one. Don't know if anyone else here has seen it but to those who have, it makes you think doesn't it?! DiCaprio was excellent in it too once again
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AbbeySider

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 03, 2010, 04:35:44 PM
Watched Shutter Island last night. Great film. And havent seen a great film in a long time up until this one. Don't know if anyone else here has seen it but to those who have, it makes you think doesn't it?! DiCaprio was excellent in it too once again

Ya shutter Island got a good few comments on this thread when it was in the cinema.
I really enjoyed too.

The Iceman

Watched Ondine there last night - think the girls would enjoy it more but not a bad show - wait for it on DVD definitely a Thursday night movie.
Daybreakers was average enough - could have been great had they had more of a budget.
Watched Boondock Saints again for nostalgia - fantastic show still.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 29, 2010, 08:36:13 PM
I saw Bad Leutenant - Port of call New Orleanes

Its absolutely f*cking sh!te.

Dower plot about a sc**bag cop you dont give a shite for.
Hated it.
It has had fantastic reviews in all the papers I've looked at. Will give it a shot when it comes out on dvd.

Capt Pat

I really liked Bad Lieutenant, it is entertaining and a bit different.

I also liked Shutter Island, it is a powerful dramatic movie that you will remember. It has had mixed reviews on here, people either seem to love it or hate it.

Nally Stand

Must say I loved it. makes ya think about the fragile mind!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Puckoon

Watched Robin Hood yesterday - and really really enjoyed it. Nice to see a different take on the story and there are a few parts through it where you are wondering how this story is going to reconcile with the "legends" - but it gets there in the end.

paco

Cloverfield on now on 4, it would give you a sore head watching it.