Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 24, 2010, 10:43:51 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 24, 2010, 09:59:10 PM
I was at Bad Lieutenant with Nicholas Cage on Friday. I never knew he was a nephew of Francis Ford Coppola. Directed by Werner Herzog who has a habit of making his movies a bit different and a bit crazy(FitzCarraldo). Some funny moments in the movie that would  make you laugh thinking about them. A lot of American, cop gangster movies follow the same formula and blend into one another, this one is different and keeps you entertained. I liked it a lot

8 out of 10.
name dropper, was he good craic?  Always thought he'd be a bit two faced ;)
Sure he's wild at heart.

Puckoon

Hes a feckin lord of war that boy.

leenie

but he was never a true wicker man
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Celt_Man

by the by, I see RTÉ 2 are doing a Clint Eastwood weekend this weekend celebrating his 80th birthday.  Some cracking movies on the cards - a few Westerns, Dirty Harry movies and Letters from Iwo Jima - which I still haven't managed to see even though I've been meaning to since it came out on DVD
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Puckoon

Clint Eastwood block set coming out.

Capt Pat

He changed hisname so it looked like he made it on his own. Obviously he went into movies and still had the family connections.

mc_grens

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 24, 2010, 11:48:09 PM
by the by, I see RTÉ 2 are doing a Clint Eastwood weekend this weekend celebrating his 80th birthday.  Some cracking movies on the cards - a few Westerns, Dirty Harry movies and Letters from Iwo Jima - which I still haven't managed to see even though I've been meaning to since it came out on DVD

This won't be a popular statement, but Letters From Iwo Jima might be the best war movie ever made.

paco

Would you need to have seen Flags of our Fathers before watching Iwo Jima or vice versa?

AFS

Quote from: paco on May 25, 2010, 01:09:10 PM
Would you need to have seen Flags of our Fathers before watching Iwo Jima or vice versa?

Nah, they're both fairly independent of each other if I remember right. Letters from Iwo Jima is a lot better so I'd watch it second. Flags of Our Fathers is decent, but would be a let down in comparison.

nrico2006

Quote from: AFS on May 25, 2010, 01:16:08 PM
Quote from: paco on May 25, 2010, 01:09:10 PM

Nah, they're both fairly independent of each other if I remember right. Letters from Iwo Jima is a lot better so I'd watch it second. Flags of Our Fathers is decent, but would be a let down in comparison.

I have the two on DVD, and still have to conclude watching the 2nd half of Flags of Our Fathers but it was so poor that I keep putting it off.  Looking forward to the other one based on the good reports I have heard on it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

delboy

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 24, 2010, 11:15:11 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 24, 2010, 09:59:10 PM
I was at Bad Lieutenant with Nicholas Cage on Friday. I never knew he was a nephew of Francis Ford Coppola. Directed by Werner Herzog who has a habit of making his movies a bit different and a bit crazy(FitzCarraldo). Some funny moments in the movie that would  make you laugh thinking about them. A lot of American, cop gangster movies follow the same formula and blend into one another, this one is different and keeps you entertained. I liked it a lot

8 out of 10.

Yea when he decided he was gonna be an actor he changed his name because he wanted to make it on his own steam and not on the back of his famous family...  Fair dues to him

Sure his uncle cast him in two movies (one as a lead role, coppolas daughter was in it as well) very early on in his career, you could argue that the name change was simply used to cloak the appearance of nepotism.
Remember this is the same uncle that cast his own daughter in seven of his films and helped launch the career of another nephew jason schwartzman, so no stranger to the old nepotism.

Aerlik

I watched Food Inc. last Saturday night.  Bloody good show.  I anticipated it would be something like Ruth Ozeki's novel, My Year Of Meat which I read about 12 years ago.

It is really hard to believe that it is cheaper to buy two burgers from Muck Donalds than to buy three carrots.  FFS.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

The Iceman

Quote from: mc_grens on May 25, 2010, 01:05:38 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on May 24, 2010, 11:48:09 PM

This won't be a popular statement, but Letters From Iwo Jima might be the best war movie ever made.

Have to completely disagree - it would not even make a top 3 list.
Read both books before watching the movies.  The books are epic, the movies are dull in comparison and can never fully convey the message the books expressed.

For War movies IMO you can't look past Saving Private Ryan
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

delboy

'All quiet on the western front', cracking film and book for those that like to read a story and see it translated onto the big screen.

Canalman

Have to say that I was underwhelmed by both Iwo Jima movies. Best Eastwood war movies imo were Where Eagles Dare, Kellys Heroes, Outlaw Josey Whales and Heartbreak Ridge.