Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Robin Hood is a very good entertaining movie, but it doesn't appear to have pleased the critics or the artsy fartsy crowd or those who want to stick to the original story as much as possible. He only used his bow and arrow once in the movie they whined, or twice to be more accurate but who the hell cares. There is more than enough action to make up for that.

On to the Westerns, I love open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duval????, a simply great movie. Costner reminds me of the very lengthy but high quality dances with wolves. Also another one I like is Seraphim Falls with Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson. I don't know too much about these old westerns, I only liked the ones involving indians.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2010, 10:29:27 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 16, 2010, 07:43:59 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 14, 2010, 11:09:11 PM
if I lived back then puck I'd have all in front of me shot!

Seen Robin Hood tonight, fuckin brilliant! Some great battle scenes. Most enjoyable film I seen in a long time. Can't wait for the sequel.

It was rubbish... a poor man's Brave Heart. Rubbish story, predictable battles and a very pointless movie.
Nonsense.
Pointless movie? all movies are pointless.

ban TV and now movies  ::)

JimStynes

Seen Robin Hood tonight, i thought it was average to be honest. Expected a lot more, hope the sequel is much better.

Windmill abu

QuoteReturn of a Man Called Horse.

I thought this was about Gavin Devlin's re-introduction to the Tyrone Team before the 2003 All Ireland Final after serving a 13 week suspension for doing something to Colin Parkinson of Laois.

But it can't be a "Western" as he is from East Tyrone

Never underestimate the power of complaining

Celt_Man

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 17, 2010, 12:10:32 AM
Robin Hood is a very good entertaining movie, but it doesn't appear to have pleased the critics or the artsy fartsy crowd or those who want to stick to the original story as much as possible. He only used his bow and arrow once in the movie they whined, or twice to be more accurate but who the hell cares. There is more than enough action to make up for that.

On to the Westerns, I love open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duval????, a simply great movie. Costner reminds me of the very lengthy but high quality dances with wolves. Also another one I like is Seraphim Falls with Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson. I don't know too much about these old westerns, I only liked the ones involving indians.

Open Range is a top movie... one of my favourite westerns and maybe the best western of the "modern era" maybe?
Haven't seen Seraphim Falls yet - must get on that soon
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

AbbeySider

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 17, 2010, 12:33:16 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 17, 2010, 12:10:32 AM

Open Range is a top movie... one of my favourite westerns and maybe the best western of the "modern era" maybe?
Haven't seen Seraphim Falls yet - must get on that soon

Its excellent, watch it with 5.1 surround sound, one of the coolest experiences ever.

ziggysego

Quote from: Windmill abu on May 17, 2010, 12:29:14 AM
QuoteReturn of a Man Called Horse.

I thought this was about Gavin Devlin's re-introduction to the Tyrone Team before the 2003 All Ireland Final after serving a 13 week suspension for doing something to Colin Parkinson of Laois.

But it can't be a "Western" as he is from East Tyrone

:D :D
Testing Accessibility

maggie

Watched Law Abiding Citizen yesterday.
Gerald Butler kept doing a weird thing with his mouth when he spoke-kinda distracted me during it.

It was just ok IMO.

AbbeySider

Quote from: maggie on May 17, 2010, 12:34:36 PM
Watched Law Abiding Citizen yesterday.
Gerald Butler kept doing a weird thing with his mouth when he spoke-kinda distracted me during it.

It was just ok IMO.

I hated it

paco

Seen Robin Hood tonight, really dissapointed. Not saying it was a bad film, but I was expecting it to be brilliant, bit of a let down! Found Crowe a bit hard to understand at times as well. Hope the rest of the Summer blockbusters aren't such letdowns anyway!

ross4life

watched Iron man 2 liked the first one better
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AbbeySider

Quote from: paco on May 19, 2010, 12:51:17 AM
Seen Robin Hood tonight, really dissapointed. Not saying it was a bad film, but I was expecting it to be brilliant, bit of a let down! Found Crowe a bit hard to understand at times as well. Hope the rest of the Summer blockbusters aren't such letdowns anyway!

+1

Celt_Man

Have watched a good deal of movies lately... I saw Sherlock Holmes the other day - thought it was first class... very witty and Downey Jr and Jude Law worked well opposite each other - hopefully there will be a sequel.

I saw District 9 over the weekend too.  It was a strange one, a good show all the same though.  First half hour of it was like a mock-umentary/documentary then it turned into a serious show.

Harry Brown was very good, a lot darker than Gran Torino, with a fast paced final 20 minutes to it too.

15 minutes must be a good couple of years old at this stage, Ed Burns and DeNiro are in it.  Wasn't expecting a lot from it to be honest but turned out to be fairly enjoyable.  Burns isn't a bad actor - don't see enough of him
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

nrico2006

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 19, 2010, 12:14:49 PM
Have watched a good deal of movies lately... I saw Sherlock Holmes the other day - thought it was first class... very witty and Downey Jr and Jude Law worked well opposite each other - hopefully there will be a sequel.

I saw District 9 over the weekend too.  It was a strange one, a good show all the same though.  First half hour of it was like a mock-umentary/documentary then it turned into a serious show.

Harry Brown was very good, a lot darker than Gran Torino, with a fast paced final 20 minutes to it too.

15 minutes must be a good couple of years old at this stage, Ed Burns and DeNiro are in it.  Wasn't expecting a lot from it to be honest but turned out to be fairly enjoyable.  Burns isn't a bad actor - don't see enough of him

I thought District 9 was very good too, the main man in it was hilarious at times.  I only saw a bit of 15 minutes but have to watch it all sometime, agree with you regarding Burns, very good and likeable in anything I have saw him in.  Heard lots of good reports about Sherlock Holmes, but doesn't appeal to me.  I imagine it to be something like 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlmen'.  These type of steampunk films can be hit or miss.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Puckoon

Watched Sherlock Holmes last night - not bad, but a tad long winded.

Plus, I didnt know that they fought crouching tiger style in Engerland back then.