Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on April 19, 2010, 03:06:42 PM
Finally got around to watching The Wrestler.....Wow. I thought Mickey Rourke was immense, the subtle mix of compassion and anger was suberb. Mickey Rourke is God.
Agree, excellent show, one of my favourites of the past few years and didn't really get the plaudits it deserved imo.

Capt Pat

I went to Cemetary Junction tonight. Excellent recreatio of life in the 1970s and a few jokes worked into the 70s theme  but an average enough movie. 6.5 out of 10.

nrico2006

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 19, 2010, 03:05:06 PM
Watched The Last of the Mohicans last night... might have said it before on here but it is a top flick...   Would be one of my favourites movies

Never watched it, must get it out some night.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: ziggysego on April 19, 2010, 03:00:22 PM
I watched Uncle Buck for the first time in years last week. Excellent film, forgotten how good and funny John Candy was in it.

Have the DVD for a few years now, only got around to watching it for the first time last night.  Class show, and John Candy was very good in it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 19, 2010, 01:42:49 PM
Serial killer films are brilliant.  I love the like of Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon, Manhunter, Seven, Zodiac, Kiss the Girls, The Bone Collector, Mr Brooks (different perspective). 

I see The Life of David Gale was on last night, ripping I missed that.  Haven't saw it apart from when it was first released and it was brilliant, well as far as I can remember.

Took me a long time to pluck up the courage to watch that Lambs, Id say I was 20 when I felt Id be able to handle it. Im not a fan of horrors to be honest but I can appreciate some of them. The life of David gale really impressed me. Zodiac, there is one murder scene in that near a lake I think, and it horrific. Good movie though.
Seven was very good aswell.
Manhunter is scary as shite, the guy who plays the tooth fairy looks like a serial killer.

I suppose the scariest film I watched was exorcism of emily rose based on the true life case of some girl in Germany. Horrific stuff and to think it can happen any of us is scary. I know the dramatic licence and all that but there was a court case over this. The suffering the poor girl went through was unreal.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Celt_Man

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 20, 2010, 09:02:51 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on April 19, 2010, 03:05:06 PM
Watched The Last of the Mohicans last night... might have said it before on here but it is a top flick...   Would be one of my favourites movies

Never watched it, must get it out some night.

Aye make it your business to do so... Our boy from Wicklow is great in it and there is some soundtrack to it as well
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

pintsofguinness

Just when it was mentioned on the other thread I seen Dear John at the weekend...AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 20, 2010, 08:56:18 PM
Just when it was mentioned on the other thread I seen Dear John at the weekend...AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!
Alarm bells started ringing when I heard it was from the people behind The Notebook. One for nrico I'd say.

pintsofguinness

To be fair I did have a sleep and also went to the shop in the middle of it. It seemed to be on forever too, I actually looked it up on IMDB to see how long it is and it's not that long but it seemed like it was about 5 hours!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

screenexile

Lady with the Dragon Tattoo

Swedish murder mystery which I went to see last night in Dublin Road. I thought it was an excellent film. Not one for all the family really there is a lot of hard hitting stuff in it but a really good plot well acted and the subtitles I think added to it if anything.

If you get a chance go see it you should. It gets a 9/10 from me.

Celt_Man

I saw Eastern Promises the other night.  Thought it was very entertaining even if I figure most of it out well in advance of the end.  It was pretty graphic stuff in some parts of it too
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 20, 2010, 12:15:09 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 19, 2010, 01:42:49 PM
Serial killer films are brilliant.  I love the like of Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon, Manhunter, Seven, Zodiac, Kiss the Girls, The Bone Collector, Mr Brooks (different perspective). 

I see The Life of David Gale was on last night, ripping I missed that.  Haven't saw it apart from when it was first released and it was brilliant, well as far as I can remember.

Took me a long time to pluck up the courage to watch that Lambs, Id say I was 20 when I felt Id be able to handle it. Im not a fan of horrors to be honest but I can appreciate some of them. The life of David gale really impressed me. Zodiac, there is one murder scene in that near a lake I think, and it horrific. Good movie though.
Seven was very good aswell.
Manhunter is scary as shite, the guy who plays the tooth fairy looks like a serial killer.

I suppose the scariest film I watched was exorcism of emily rose based on the true life case of some girl in Germany. Horrific stuff and to think it can happen any of us is scary. I know the dramatic licence and all that but there was a court case over this. The suffering the poor girl went through was unreal.

when it comes to horrors nobody beat's the Japanese  one's  :o audition is worth watching! you won't look at a Japanese girls the same after watching that,

One of my favourite horror films of all time is the original John Carpenter Halloween often copied never equalled
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: screenexile on April 22, 2010, 09:18:52 AM

Swedish murder mystery which I went to see last night in Dublin Road. I thought it was an excellent film. Not one for all the family really there is a lot of hard hitting stuff in it but a really good plot well acted and the subtitles I think added to it if anything.

Saw that a couple of weeks ago, it's not a bad representation of the book...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mc_grens

Quote from: screenexile on April 22, 2010, 09:18:52 AM

based on Stieg Larsson's tremendous trilogy of books. There are another two. All 3 are being remade by Hollywood. Word has it the chick from Twilight is up for the title role. If she gets it we're invading California next!

leenie

Tried watching Knowing last nite but found it wile slow ..... turned it over after an hour should i have kept watchng....
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..