Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 03, 2010, 08:21:42 PM
I'm having a great weekend going through my dvd collection watching films I haven't seen in ages...

The untouchables, what a great film - "hand me the keys, you f**king cocksucker"  :D and that put me in a Kevin Spacey mood so American Beauty and The Life of David Gale followed - that's not a film you hear much about but it's a great show.
Next up was Sum of all Fears, it's a good show but if I was Bruce Willis I would have shot that bitch of a doctor in the first 5 minutes....

anyway, my point, they don't make them like they use to.

oh yeah, and I watched Platoon again, I must be the only person in the world who doesnt like it!

I think Apocalypse Now and Platoon are both overrated.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

maximus

Usual suspects one of the best films I have seen. Hard to beat a good twist at the end. Fantastic viewing!

AFS

Quote from: tyroneman on April 04, 2010, 01:44:21 AM
Am I the only person in the world who thinks that the Shawshank Redemption is THE most overrated piece of sentimental cr@p made??

No.

mouview

Quote from: AFS on April 04, 2010, 04:47:46 PM
Am I the only person in the world who thinks that the Shawshank Redemption is THE most overrated piece of sentimental cr@p made??

No.
And no again. Not at all a bad film but it takes 'easy scores' and is very unambiguous - good, noble cons,  bad, hissbale authority figures  - all a bit pantomime-ish really.

Orior

Quote from: mouview on April 04, 2010, 09:04:50 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 04, 2010, 04:47:46 PM

No.
And no again. Not at all a bad film but it takes 'easy scores' and is very unambiguous - good, noble cons,  bad, hissbale authority figures  - all a bit pantomime-ish really.

A slow burner, it took years after it was released to reach mega status. Now you guys are trying to undermine it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Capt Pat

You can tell there aren't many intercounty GAA players posting on here, their universal favourite movie is de Shawshanck Redemshin.

Tony Baloney

Platoon is class. Lost count of the number of times I've seen it. Would agree with the comments about Shawshank. Desperately overrated "feel good" film beloved of women and morons.

illdecide

"Heat" it's on now on BBC2. Good film..."Never get yourself into anything that you can't walk away from in 30 sec when the heat is around the corner"
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Canalman

Saw Shutter Island and Perriers Bounty over weekend. Both imo very so so.......... ok , not great but not poor also.

SI was 30mins too long imo and Jim Broadbent's "Dublin" accent was ropey.

Perriers Bounty if made 10 years ago would be a classic but nowadays is just a run of the mill Ritchieesque urban crime caper.

ballinaman

Saw Clash of the Titans the last day. Grand but nothing special. Once scene with giant scorpions is brutal!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 04, 2010, 10:08:23 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 03, 2010, 08:21:42 PM
I'm having a great weekend going through my dvd collection watching films I haven't seen in ages...

The untouchables, what a great film - "hand me the keys, you f**king cocksucker"  :D and that put me in a Kevin Spacey mood so American Beauty and The Life of David Gale followed - that's not a film you hear much about but it's a great show.
Next up was Sum of all Fears, it's a good show but if I was Bruce Willis I would have shot that bitch of a doctor in the first 5 minutes....

anyway, my point, they don't make them like they use to.

oh yeah, and I watched Platoon again, I must be the only person in the world who doesnt like it!

I think Apocalypse Now and Platoon are both overrated.
Yeah I didn't like apocalypse now either - full metal jacket is much better than them both imo.

I like Shawshank redemption but it wouldn't be among my favorites.

Did anyone ever see Mr Brooks, class film. Kevin Costner plays a serial killer.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AFS

Got round to watching The Hurt Locker over the weekend. Can't see what all the fuss was about. Watchable, but nothing that hadn't been done previously in numerous war movies. Highlight was yer man Jeremy Renner's performance, he's very good.

ross4life

got too see quite a lot of new film's on my flight over to San Francisco

up in air ..........stars George Clooney was a good watchable film & good twist at the end
The invention of lying.... was a funny flick! if you like liar liar u'll like this
Precious...... very depressing film but OK
The Blind Side.... was average film at best, Sandra bullock won a Oscar for her role in this not sure why?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Puckoon

Quote from: ross4life on April 05, 2010, 04:41:17 PM
got too see quite a lot of new film's on my flight over to San Francisco

up in air ..........stars George Clooney was a good watchable film & good twist at the end
The invention of lying.... was a funny flick! if you like liar liar u'll like this
Precious...... very depressing film but OK
The Blind Side.... was average film at best, Sandra bullock won a Oscar for her role in this not sure why?

I just came on here to post that anyone in their right mind should not waste 2 hours of their life watching the invention of lying. Its beyond atrociously bad.

Where can you go once Jennifer Garner says "I was just masturbating" - except down.

Also - Fantastic Mr Fox - jesus what a waste of my easter sunday those two movies were.

ross4life

well i was on a plane for 11 hrs plenty of time to waste  :D

Fantastic Mr Fox was also on but i didn't bother watching it, instead a good classic the blues brothers was on & the Car chase still looks great
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open