Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Surely Hurtlocker and Greenzone are two totally different type of films and the only reason they are being compared because they are both set in I-Raq. Haven't seen Greenzone but I thought Hurtlocker was excellent.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mouview

Damon is a charisma-free limited actor who bores the socks off me in everything he appears in. Stunk out the Talented Mr. Riplay and was unwatchable in The Departed.

Minder

Watched Layercake tonight. Top drawer.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

Well the Academy thought that Hurt Locker was the best movie of the year and I fully agree with them.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mouview on March 13, 2010, 11:22:29 PM
Damon is a charisma-free limited actor who bores the socks off me in everything he appears in. Stunk out the Talented Mr. Riplay and was unwatchable in The Departed.
nonsense
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Celt_Man

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 14, 2010, 01:07:56 AM
Quote from: mouview on March 13, 2010, 11:22:29 PM
nonsense
+1

he was first class inThe Departed
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mouview

He was rubbish; I repeat an extremely limited actor. Mindless action films are the extent of his range. Di Caprio, quite astonishingly, alongside Fermiga were the stars of the very ordinary The Departed.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2010, 10:31:54 PM
He was rubbish; I repeat an extremely limited actor. Mindless action films are the extent of his range. Di Caprio, quite astonishingly, alongside Fermiga were the stars of the very ordinary The Departed.
Talented Mr Ripley and Good Will Hunting weren't anything like "mindless action films" and they were probably his best performances imo.

btw could you define "mindless action films" - the only films he's done I'd describe like that were the bourne films
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mouview

Jeez, Good Will Hunting must be one of the most dangerous films ever made; made stars out of 2 nonentities like Damon and Ben Affleck, gave an Oscar to Robin Williams when Stellan Skarsgard walked away with every scene he was in and the whole thing just rang so hollow.

Yes, the Bournes were pretty ropey with implausible plot jumps, especially the first one. Probably the biggest weakness in Saving Private Ryan was why anyone would want to go to so much trouble to save Damon? You cannot even begin to compare him to the likes of (off the top of my head) Day Lewis, Ralph Fiennes, Depp, Buscemi, Turturro, rapidly improving Mark Ruffalo, Sean Penn etc.etc. All these are real character actors who bring depth and range to their roles. Damon is just Damon; the parody of him in Team America is spot on.

Celt_Man

What a statement!!!  ;D ;D
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mouview

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 14, 2010, 11:31:49 PM

What a statement!!!  ;D ;D

Why? Was it better than Taxi Driver, The Age of Innocence or Goodfellas? Or even the brilliant mess that was Gangs of New York? A number of written critics have wondered at this movie winning the Oscar when it's so inferior to the aforementioned. That's the Oscars for ya I suppose!

Canalman

Would also agree that Damon imo is a very average actor. Must be a personal quirk as everyone else I know rates him highly. Also agree that the Departed was overrated and I am a massive fan of "Irish" mob movies like  Road to Perdition, Angels with Dirty Faces, State of Grace, Friends of Eddie Coyle, Prime Cut etc.

nrico2006

Big fan of Damon, but would definitely agree that The Departed is overrated. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AbbeySider

Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2010, 10:55:10 PM
Yes, the Bournes were pretty ropey with implausible plot jumps, especially the first one. Probably the biggest weakness in Saving Private Ryan was why anyone would want to go to so much trouble to save Damon? You cannot even begin to compare him to the likes of (off the top of my head) Day Lewis, Ralph Fiennes, Depp, Buscemi, Turturro, rapidly improving Mark Ruffalo, Sean Penn etc.etc. All these are real character actors who bring depth and range to their roles. Damon is just Damon; the parody of him in Team America is spot on.

Rubbish.

Your saying that Depp is a real character actor with depth and range??
Depp hasnt done anything of note for years. He is an annoying overacter playing the same re-hashed character over and over. He has about as much real acting talent as Jim Carey.
And apart from "I am Sam" Sean Penn hasnt exactly got much depth either. I always felt his Oscar for Mystic River was very lucky as it was a very weak year at the Oscars in 2004.
You critisisms of Damon are too harsh. He was excellent in:
Invictus
The Departed
The Talanted Mr Ripley

and very enjoyable in The Bourne series. End of.

Even the suggestion of using a parody of Team American kind of sums it up!  ;)

delboy

Watched hurt locker again this weekend (switched it off half way through the first time), thought i would give it a go again seeing as it had won the oscar, very average film, must have been a poor year for films right enough, would give it a 5 or 6 out of ten.