Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

I thought Hurt Locker was much better than the Wrestler or No Country for Old Men. Hurt Locker did not make it a poor year for movies.

mc_grens

Thought Hurt Locker was a fine movie. You can never really place that much stall by who/ what wins best picture...

e.g. The year that Titanic won it was up against LA Confidential. Theres no doubt which of those is the superior film.

Archie Mitchell

Boy A is a good watch. About a young lad who done time for murder when he was a child and was released early with a new identity.

Tony Baloney

Hurt Locker is the best i have seen in the past year. I thought it was excellent and the ending was just fine. Might not have been explosive or the expected Hollywood ending but was deliberately mundane in showing the quiet family life versus the madness of their work in Iraq.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 09, 2010, 10:21:19 PM
Hurt Locker is the best i have seen in the past year. I thought it was excellent and the ending was just fine. Might not have been explosive or the expected Hollywood ending but was deliberately mundane in showing the quiet family life versus the madness of their work in Iraq.

I thought the opposite Tony. Especially after the start when it faded to the words "War is a drug" from the original quote... it kind of spelled out what the film was like (main character theme) and how it was going to end.
It was one of those "Look at us, we are American and we fight wars, because thats what we do" kind of ending. It was a little bit pretentious for me. But it was a good film besides

ziggysego

Quote from: mc_grens on March 09, 2010, 07:52:17 PM
Thought Hurt Locker was a fine movie. You can never really place that much stall by who/ what wins best picture...

e.g. The year that Titanic won it was up against LA Confidential. Theres no doubt which of those is the superior film.

As Good as It Gets
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Had the misfortune of sitting through an hour of From Paris With Love tonight. I know it's meant to be way over the top but the plot and acting was so dire I found myself staring at a plant.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

leenie

what sort of accent does johnny rhys have in it ? as he is like a box of chocolates ya never know what ur going to get!

disappointed to read its not so good as i am a massive fan of taken...
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

mc_grens

Quote from: ziggysego on March 10, 2010, 12:01:09 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on March 09, 2010, 07:52:17 PM

As Good as It Gets

Absolutely! No way Titanic shoulda won over either.

Capt Pat

I saw legion tonight which got some terrible reviews on imdb. I am glad I went to see it despite those reviews which were not very accurate, whatever about peoples opinions on whether they enjoyed a movie or not, some of the reviews just didn't describe it accurately.

5.2 oout of 10 on IMDB I would give it 7.5 out of 10. Like I said it is probably not everybodys cup of tea, but it is an action horror movie with a twisted religious theme. It has its flaws and is far fetched but i assume people didn't like it being a bit anti religious.

full back

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a207764/thurman-film-takes-gbp88-at-uk-box-office.html

Uma Thurman's latest film Motherhood has taken just £88 at the UK box office.

The Katherine Dieckmann-directed comedy, which sees Thurman portray a mother-of-two preparing for her daughter's 6th birthday, screened for three days over the past weekend at London's Apollo Piccadilly Circus ahead of its DVD release today.

Its total takings for Sunday were £9, meaning only one person paid to see the movie on that day.

Motherhood was also a box office flop in the US. It grossed $50,000 (£33,448) from 48 venues last October and totalled $98,900 (£66,160) when it wrapped up its theatrical run in November.

Bogball XV

Quote from: full back on March 10, 2010, 08:14:59 AM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a207764/thurman-film-takes-gbp88-at-uk-box-office.html

Uma Thurman's latest film Motherhood has taken just £88 at the UK box office.

The Katherine Dieckmann-directed comedy, which sees Thurman portray a mother-of-two preparing for her daughter's 6th birthday, screened for three days over the past weekend at London's Apollo Piccadilly Circus ahead of its DVD release today.

Its total takings for Sunday were £9, meaning only one person paid to see the movie on that day.

Motherhood was also a box office flop in the US. It grossed $50,000 (£33,448) from 48 venues last October and totalled $98,900 (£66,160) when it wrapped up its theatrical run in November.

damn, i saw this recently, or rather, I started watching it recently, herself agreed that it was unwatchable and it was switched off.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 09, 2010, 07:51:18 PM
I thought Hurt Locker was much better than the Wrestler or No Country for Old Men. Hurt Locker did not make it a poor year for movies.
I didnt like the wrestler but no country for old men is a masterpiece.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mc_grens

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 10, 2010, 09:04:11 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 09, 2010, 07:51:18 PM
I didnt like the wrestler but no country for old men is a masterpiece.

Indeed.

ONeill

Just finished The Lovely Bones. Complete dross. Been a bad year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.