Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

was looking forward to Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese) film but someone went & told me the ending  >:(

going back to Tim Burton he's a bit of a hit or miss for me

Hit
Beetlejuice
Batman (imo best batman film of the lot)
Mars Attacks! (a lot hate this film)
Alice in Wonderland

Miss
Batman Returns
Planet of the Apes
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ziggysego

Quote from: ross4life on March 08, 2010, 11:57:26 PM
was looking forward to Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese) film but someone went & told me the ending  >:(

going back to Tim Burton he's a bit of a hit or miss for me

Hit
Beetlejuice
Batman (imo best batman film of the lot)
Mars Attacks! (a lot hate this film)
Alice in Wonderland

Miss
Batman Returns
Planet of the Apes

Hit
Beetlejuice
Sleepy Hollow

OK
Alice in Wonderland

Miss
All the rest I've seen

Hate with a Passion
Edward Scissorhands
Testing Accessibility

delboy

Quote from: ross4life on March 08, 2010, 11:43:43 PM
Johnny Depp must be the best character actor around?

Surely johnny Depp couldn't be considered a character actor, hes a leading man in virtually all his films, now someone like Steve Buscemi thats a character actor.

clarshack

Quote from: Bogball XV on March 08, 2010, 05:50:28 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on March 08, 2010, 03:10:42 PM
is The Invention of Lying starring David Brent worth the watch?

Watched Edge of Darkness @ the weekend, decent enough show
invention of lying should have been decent, decent premise, but it is really, really, really shite.

turned invention of lying off after 20 mins - shockingly bad!

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on March 08, 2010, 11:47:22 PM
Watched 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas' on DVD.

The most thought provoking film I've ever seen. Took me and the missus days to get over it.

I always thought that the Shawshank Redemption should have had a dark ending but after watching Striped Pajamas I have changed my mind.

One of the most underrated films I have seen. Very provocative and moving. 

AbbeySider

Quote from: ziggysego on March 08, 2010, 11:31:42 PM
Was at Alice in Wonderland tonight. The visuals were amazing, the 3D worked really well with it. Johnny Depp was fantastic as the Mad Hatter, although Scottish for some reason. Looking at the credits at the end of the film, there was some cast on it. Christopher Lee, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen and Barbara Winsdor.

With all that, there seemed to be something missing with the film. At the ingredients were right, but it just didn't come together. Enjoyable story and very dark, just missing something.

I didnt really like Alice in Wonderland, in fact I was bored silly and it annoyed the heck out of me.
Its a film that focused on the effects and the story and characters lost out. Its too dark for young kids and too childish at times for anyone above the age of 12.
The lead girl that played Alice (Mia Wasikowska) is very limited. Zero emotion and as single toned as Keanu Reeves.
Depp is boring playing the same eccentric character, over and over again. He is practically mash-up of Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka with a red wig. Its getting pathetic at this stage and he needs to do some real acting instead of this over-acting rubbish. Also Burton needs to grow up and stop making films for his kids. He also needs to separate from Depp and stop having his wife in his films. As for Burtons wife, Helena Bonham Carter, I felt like strangling her if she repeated that tantrum line one more time.

1/5 

ziggysego

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 09, 2010, 12:21:44 PM
Was at Alice in Wonderland tonight. The visuals were amazing, the 3D worked really well with it. Johnny Depp was fantastic as the Mad Hatter, although Scottish for some reason. Looking at the credits at the end of the film, there was some cast on it. Christopher Lee, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen and Barbara Winsdor.

With all that, there seemed to be something missing with the film. At the ingredients were right, but it just didn't come together. Enjoyable story and very dark, just missing something.

I didnt really like Alice in Wonderland, in fact I was bored silly and it annoyed the heck out of me.
Its a film that focused on the effects and the story and characters lost out. Its too dark for young kids and too childish at times for anyone above the age of 12.
The lead girl that played Alice (Mia Wasikowska) is very limited. Zero emotion and as single toned as Keanu Reeves.
Depp is boring playing the same eccentric character, over and over again. He is practically mash-up of Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka with a red wig. Its getting pathetic at this stage and he needs to do some real acting instead of this over-acting rubbish. Also Burton needs to grow up and stop making films for his kids. He also needs to separate from Depp and stop having his wife in his films. As for Burtons wife, Helena Bonham Carter, I felt like strangling her if she repeated that tantrum line one more time.

1/5

I didn't like Helena Bonham Carter in it either. Too me, she lifted the character right out of Blackadder II.
Testing Accessibility

thebigfella

Quote from: ziggysego on March 09, 2010, 12:54:09 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on March 09, 2010, 12:21:44 PM

1/5

I didn't like Helena Bonham Carter in it either. Too me, she lifted the character right out of Blackadder II.

Was going to pull you on paraphasing Mark Kermode's review on 5 live last night (read your review comments straight after listening to the the podcast  ;)) but now I'm gonna have to  :D

Come on Ziggy do you think your the only one who listens to a wittertainment on 5 live  ::)

ziggysego

:D Swear to God, I don't listen to him. I even commented the same thing to the ones I went to the cinema with.

Mark has his head too much up his own arse for my liking.
Testing Accessibility

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 04, 2010, 11:04:32 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 04, 2010, 10:52:44 PM
Can't recommend The Hurt Locker any higher. Finally watched it tonight. Some great nail-biting scenes.
Same. Best I've seen in the past year at least. If there is any justice Kathryn Bigelow will the Oscar for direction. Yer man Brenner in the lead role will be expecting some bigger
movies off the back of his performance.

I watched the Hurt Locker lately.
Its a tense, edge of your seat thriller but it has a very, very underwhelming ending.

That guy in the lead role was excellent, and Bigelow probably deserved her Oscar for best director but im not not sure was it strong enough for Best Picture; especially with the ending which really let me down.

A good show though, defiantly worth seeing. 4/5

thebigfella

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 09, 2010, 02:19:45 PM
Can't recommend The Hurt Locker any higher. Finally watched it tonight. Some great nail-biting scenes.
Same. Best I've seen in the past year at least. If there is any justice Kathryn Bigelow will the Oscar for direction. Yer man Brenner in the lead role will be expecting some bigger

Its a tense, edge of your seat thriller but it has a very, very underwhelming ending.

That guy in the lead role was excellent, and Bigelow probably deserved her Oscar for best director but im not not sure was it strong enough for Best Picture; especially with the ending which really let me down.

Anything winning would have been better than Avatar though

Bogball XV

Quote from: thebigfella on March 09, 2010, 02:20:56 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on March 09, 2010, 02:19:45 PM

Anything winning would have been better than Avatar though
haven't seen avatar yet, intend to take it shortly though - i presume it's pointless unless watching it in 3d on the big screen?  HUrt Locker wasn't a bad movie, but not that brilliant - worth watching, but not in the same league as the likes of No Country for Old Men or The Wrestler imo.

Canalman

Totally agree that Hurt Locker is a tad underwhelming. Watchable ..... very watchable but not a classic imo.

pintsofguinness

It just shows what a poor year it's been for movies when Hurt Locker wins, a good film but wouldn't get a look in at the oscars any other year. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Archie Mitchell