Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Watched it yesterday.  Thought it was very good.  Well acted, beautifully shot.    Lifelong friends fighting over nothing against the backdrop of the civil war.   A thoughtful examination of loneliness, mortality, and what you owe of your dwindling time to others.

Look-Up!

***Spoiler Alert****
I just didn't get it. I thought it was a very poor storyline and about as insightful into Irish rural communities as Bear Grylls survival episode on Ireland. As for exploring the other human conditions, for me, for that to work, your characters must be some way sympathetic to invest that sort of thought into them. The only two individuals worthy of that, one was shipped off the Island, the other killed off. As for the two main protagonists, completely unbelievable and uninvestable for me. Didn't care in the end if he stayed in the house or if yer man went in with him and locked the two of them there. I felt more for the donkey, a completely stupid and implausible way to check out BTW.
Very good acting made it bearable just about, Keoghan and Condon especially.

Look-Up!

That might be over harsh. It is quirky with some very funny dialogue so not a complete waste of time but don't expect much to avoid disappointment. Far from a work of art though.

Taylor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 12, 2023, 01:14:24 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 12, 2023, 01:05:56 PM
Watched it over Xmas and thought it was dead on - watchable but by no means a classic.

6.75/10

Neither was Driving Miss Daisy, it won best picture and best actress

Better films that year, sorry more popular films that year .. Glory, Fields of Dreams, Harry met Sally, Dead poet society and my favourite that year and won f**k all Weekend at Bernies!!

Who knows what these critics look for really1

Its in the eye of the beholder and with awards the critics obviously look for some hidden meaning or some insight into life (or some shite like that).
Me - I just want an entertaining film - dont want to have to think too much about it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 12, 2023, 02:35:37 PM
That might be over harsh. It is quirky with some very funny dialogue so not a complete waste of time but don't expect much to avoid disappointment. Far from a work of art though.

Its No Die Hard is what you're saying?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Look-Up!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 12, 2023, 02:38:52 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 12, 2023, 02:35:37 PM

Its No Die Hard is what you're saying?

****Spoiler Alert*****
:D :D If Glesson had yelled yippee ki-ya MF while flinging his fingers at the door it could have been

AustinPowers

Here ,  stop with the spoilers will ye

I've not seen  banshees yet

Look-Up!

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 12, 2023, 03:21:27 PM
Here ,  stop with the spoilers will ye

I've not seen  banshees yet
Sorry

nrico2006

Just like the film Belfast and the associated hype, was another that didn't deserve the acclaim.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 12, 2023, 10:50:35 PM
Just like the film Belfast and the associated hype, was another that didn't deserve the acclaim.

You'll hate the other one about here, An Irish goodbye...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 12, 2023, 10:50:35 PM

An extended Van Morrison promo video.

J70

I thought Belfast was very good.

Especially as I wasn't expecting much after the feedback from this place.

Gmac

Watched the pale blue eye last night , enjoyed it

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: J70 on January 13, 2023, 12:32:36 AM

I thought there was a very good movie buried in there not far below the surface.  The acting was good, as was the (non-musical) script.  But I f**king hate Van Morrision's music--fingernails on chalkboard hate--and the constant interruption of the movie by his tunes was just oppressive.

nrico2006

Quote from: J70 on January 13, 2023, 12:32:36 AM

I watched it pretty soon after it was released, so maybe had higher expectations given the media talk about it. Sometimes movies automatically get credit for simply being focused on key historical events, irrelevant of how good the actual movie is.

Actually watched two Northern Ireland films over the past few years that I thought were brilliant, and more enjoyable than Belfast and Banshees. One was Bad Day for the Cut and the other was Nightride.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'