Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

First Mission Impossible was good, rest been poor. I love most of his films though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

i say this regularly - tom cruise is a knob but is in some great films. minority report great too.

i thought first mi was rubbish. The later ones have been good though.

Milltown Row2

I don't think he's a great actor to be fair, but he's been in some very good films, the problem is he's generally the lead and has to try and carry the film..

The Outsiders for us older folk looking back was a great film of the day, which spawned many a good actor. IF he wasn't the lead he'd be better I feel, but he's a bit like Ronaldo if ya know what I mean.

The wife will not watch a film with him in it lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2022, 07:20:05 AM
i say this regularly - tom cruise is a knob but is in some great films. minority report great too.

What, the second  one with the masks and the voice altering  ? Jesus that was awful

imtommygunn

It was shit too lol. From 3 on. The one with Thandie Newton and Doug Ray Scott was very good I thought.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 14, 2022, 09:51:47 AM

What, the second  one with the masks and the voice altering  ? Jesus that was awful

For someone that doesn't think he's great you've good enough knowledge  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: An Watcher on December 13, 2022, 05:01:27 PM
Top Gun Maverick was the best I seen at the cinema in a long long time.

I loved the original top gun.
Found top gun maverick mediocre. Felt like a tom cruise vanity project.

tbrick18

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 14, 2022, 12:04:05 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on December 13, 2022, 11:25:51 PM
I've yet to  see a good film with Tam Cruise in it

Don't know about this Tam Cruise bloke, but Tom Cruise has been in a few decent movies (exceptions rather than the rule, in fairness):

Collateral
Magnolia
A Few Good Men
Interview with the Vampire

I liked Risky Business

AustinPowers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 14, 2022, 09:59:45 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on December 14, 2022, 09:51:47 AM

For someone that doesn't think he's great you've good enough knowledge  :D

He's not. That  one  just stuck in my head  for  the wrong  reasons

Captain Obvious

Milltown Row2

JPGJOHNNYG

Finally watched banshees. Struggling to work out what all the fuss was about. Beautifully filmed and well acted but the story itself is pretty crap. I mean I kept watching intrigued waiting to see the clever ending to bring it all together of course that never happened ;D

nrico2006

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 16, 2022, 10:13:49 AM
Finally watched banshees. Struggling to work out what all the fuss was about. Beautifully filmed and well acted but the story itself is pretty crap. I mean I kept watching intrigued waiting to see the clever ending to bring it all together of course that never happened ;D

Saw it last night too. Interesting setting but average at best film.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2022, 10:36:06 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 16, 2022, 10:13:49 AM

Saw it last night too. Interesting setting but average at best film.
like the Irishman, completely over hyped

Ed Ricketts

I thought Banshees of Inisherin was outstanding. A movie that knocks about in your head for days afterwards.

I wonder if the marketing of the film has something to do with some of the subsequent reaction. Trailers and other soundbytes seemed to characterise it as a quirky, witty bit of schmaltz. Maybe the sort of movie that might try to have a 'clever' ending.

But in reality it's a fairly straight deep dive into loneliness, abuse, and fear. I certainly haven't seen anything else recently that handles these themes with such humour and accessibility.

It'll win all the awards and probably deserve to do so.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.