Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2022, 07:30:32 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 23, 2022, 06:16:17 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 23, 2022, 01:42:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 23, 2022, 09:50:51 AM
Watched The Father with Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman, hard to describe the emotions this film puts you through, Hopkins is brilliant and Olivia Colman superb as his daughter.

Heard it's very good and Hopkins gives a masterclass but  I can't watch sad films in my old age now. Same with that show Afterlife with Ricky Gervais. Looks good but would put me on a complete downer.

I know what you me a Jim, but definitely give Afterlife a go. Uplifting as well as heartbreaking!
Thought that last series of Afterlife was average enough.
Average but it hit a few moments where I really felt sore
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Nightride, filmed in Belfast and focused on mainly one character in his car - thought it was brilliant. Far better than Locke.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Captain Obvious

The new Batman movie is similar to Se7en.

Jell 0 Biafra

The Courier, with your man with the funny looking face and the weird name is very good.  Cold war spy movie. Not usually my thing, but a good story, very well acted and scripted.

Main Street

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 09, 2022, 02:40:31 AM
The Courier, with your man with the funny looking face and the weird name is very good.  Cold war spy movie. Not usually my thing, but a good story, very well acted and scripted.
The Courier, film about the Brit businessman in Havana?

Jell 0 Biafra

Yeah, though he was a British businessman in USSR.  Benedict Cumberbatch the bloke whose name I couldn't remember last night.

Main Street

Not Havana  but Moscow,  it's an excellent film.
There's an equivalent genre film, french (with subtitles of course), called  Farewell. It's a bit later ( mid 80's)  a true 'defector' story  in the Reagan years, that somehow managed to save us from Soviet annihilation  despite western intelligence doing their best to mangle the intelligence.

Hound

Anyone recommend the Power of Dog?

I thought Don't Look Up was dreadful. The first half particularly bad. A few laughs in the second half.

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on March 25, 2022, 01:28:04 PM

I thought Don't Look Up was dreadful. The first half particularly bad. A few laughs in the second half.

I thought Power of the Dog was a heap of dung!

Very arty and just not that good at all. It's well acted but that's about as much as I can say about it.

screenexile

Watched a few films recently:

Whiplash - really enjoyed this film worth a watch 8.5/10

Licorice Pizza - It was ok well acted but loved itself a bit and wasn't particularly entertaining 6.5/10

The Adam Project - Not going to win any awards but I found it enjoyable and entertaining 7/10

Don't Look Up - Preachy and loves itself it was just grand 6/10

Venom 2 - Rarely does it happen but turned off after half an hour. Shit. 3/10

House of Gucci - Over the top and a bit mad not everyone's cup of tea but I quite liked it 7/10

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on March 25, 2022, 01:42:15 PM

Very arty and just not that good at all. It's well acted but that's about as much as I can say about it.

Power of the Dog was poor.

Small Engine Repair was very good.

Windfall also very good.

Licorice Pizza was ok and I also really liked the Adam Project.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

I think I'll be watching Adam Project rather than Power of Dog on Netflix tonight!

Reminds me that I watched two Rock movies a few weeks ago:
- Jungle Cruise was meh
- Red Notice was great fun

Main Street

I stuck with it for 30mins, the film has got something about it but there's also a meanness and ugliness which was not comfortable to take in at the time, I might get back to it. That actor Jesse Plemons - the nice brother,  it's a mystery on how does he go from (not quite) Robbie Coltrane physique to a perfect pristine Tour de France athlete Floyd Landis in that film about Lance Armstrong?

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on March 25, 2022, 02:58:58 PM

I stuck with it for 30mins, the film has got something about it but there's also a meanness and ugliness which was not comfortable to take in at the time, I might get back to it. That actor Jesse Plemons - the nice brother,  it's a mystery on how does he go from (not quite) Robbie Coltrane physique to a perfect pristine Tour de France athlete Floyd Landis in that film about Lance Armstrong?

I think he was in great shape for that and then had to put on weight for Black Mass and hasn't lost it since . . . good to see it happens to big time actors as well as the rest of us!!

tbrick18

Don't look up is one of the worst movies I've seen in years.