Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 01, 2021, 04:38:08 PM
Been binging on 70's thrillers over Xmas

Mainly thrillers, watched Parallax view with Warren Beatty, haven't seen it in years!!

I'm not a fan of remakes but there are so many decent 70's thrillers which could be remade for today.

Trying to get my kids to watch a film that's older than 15/20 years is impossible!
Interesting you say that as I watched Papillion over Christmas and I only found out they made a remake with Remi malek a few years back, I'll have to get watching it

STREET FIGHTER

Managed to take in a few movies over the holidays...

1.  Jack Reacher-     6.5/10
2.  Jack Reacher 2-  6.0/10
3.  Knives Out-          6.5/10
4.  The Gentleman-   7.0/10

See the good reports on Prisoners so must give it a try.

Any other recommendations folks?

SF

gallsman

The Gentlemen scoring higher than Knives Out, which scored the same as Jack Reacher. WTF are you smoking?

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: gallsman on January 01, 2021, 06:18:33 PM
The Gentlemen scoring higher than Knives Out, which scored the same as Jack Reacher. WTF are you smoking?

In fairness Knives out could have been a 7....

Quite start/stop as I couldn't get the kids settled.....

Suppose it depends on the nights they were watched!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: gallsman on January 01, 2021, 06:18:33 PM

Any recommendations??

nrico2006

Jack Reacher and The Gentlemen etc. are very forgettable.  Some short independent films on Netflix that are decent viewing, such as Thunder Road or Shimmer Lake.  I'm going on the assumption you have seen all the well known good ones like Warrior, The Town etc.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Watched Wonder Woman 1984 the other night. It was okay but not as good as the first. 6.5/10.

Due to lack of releases this year it has been a struggle to see anything decent that I haven't seen before. Watched The Truman Show again for first time since the cinema and really enjoyed it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 01, 2021, 07:52:32 PM
Watched Wonder Woman 1984 the other night. It was okay but not as good as the first. 6.5/10.

Due to lack of releases this year it has been a struggle to see anything decent that I haven't seen before. Watched The Truman Show again for first time since the cinema and really enjoyed it.

Go back to the 70's, some serious films, even late 50's watched 12 angry men always good. Watched Lifeboat recently also, Hitchcock classic.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 01, 2021, 07:45:52 PM
Jack Reacher and The Gentlemen etc. are very forgettable.  Some short independent films on Netflix that are decent viewing, such as Thunder Road or Shimmer Lake.  I'm going on the assumption you have seen all the well known good ones like Warrior, The Town etc.

Thanks for that 👍

Will give them a try

Orior

Steve Martin was funny in The Jerk, Three Amigoes and Plane, Trains and Automobiles.

But he absolutely destroyed Inspector Clouseau. He should have been chased out of Holywood for that. Not funny in the slightest.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nrico2006

Quote from: Orior on January 01, 2021, 08:49:16 PM
Steve Martin was funny in The Jerk, Three Amigoes and Plane, Trains and Automobiles.

But he absolutely destroyed Inspector Clouseau. He should have been chased out of Holywood for that. Not funny in the slightest.

Always liked Roxanne.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

Three Amigos one of my all time e favourite comedy films!

Watched Prisoners last night. Good, but don't like leaving the few loose ends given the length of the film. Hugh Jackman was very good, but rest of the cast were a bit meh IMO.

thewobbler

Really wasn't sure on Prisoners.

The acting was fine and the mood was good. But the basic premise of the film seemed to be that every time a lead came along, they couldn't talk, and for different reasons: disabled, disjointed, disillusioned, disoriented. And why the lead detective never had a partner, well it might have been explained. But it was still odd.

Tony Baloney

Watched The Gift tonight. Much better than I thought it would be. Very good psychological thriller.

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 02, 2021, 11:08:39 PM
Watched The Gift tonight. Much better than I thought it would be. Very good psychological thriller.

Knowing you I would say you are on about the Katie Holmes one and not the Edgerton one.