Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 08, 2017, 09:06:26 AM
Watched Moneyball last night. Really good. Interesting. It's a model soccer uses now.

This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but it's pretty much NOT the model that soccer uses; even though it should be.
Sure, one or two clubs or doing bits and pieces, but no club is doing it properly and most are pretty much ignoring it due to the old fashioned views expressed within football clubs.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Smokin Joe on May 08, 2017, 01:32:44 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on May 08, 2017, 09:06:26 AM
Watched Moneyball last night. Really good. Interesting. It's a model soccer uses now.

This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but it's pretty much NOT the model that soccer uses; even though it should be.
Sure, one or two clubs or doing bits and pieces, but no club is doing it properly and most are pretty much ignoring it due to the old fashioned views expressed within football clubs.

Brentford doing it a bit. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/12/brentford-fc---the-club-thinking-outside-the-box/
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Smokin Joe

Brentford doing it a bit. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/12/brentford-fc---the-club-thinking-outside-the-box/
[/quote]

Brentford shut down their analytics department in April 2016

mrdeeds

Did the Boston Boys not bring the same ideas to Liverpool?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 08, 2017, 04:22:11 PM
Did the Boston Boys not bring the same ideas to Liverpool?

The "Transfer Committee" at Liverpool was pretty dysfunctional by all accounts; hence why there were hatchet job stories via leaks this by Rodgers: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3262490/Liverpool-s-head-technical-performance-Michael-Edwards-laptop-guru-did-number-Brendan-Rodgers.html

Generally, it's been very difficult to properly embed an analytical viewpoint into clubs.  I'm sure there are many reasons for this.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: leenie on May 02, 2017, 10:09:26 AM
Any reviews on guardians of the galaxy 2 - I'm a massive fan of the first film- was told yesterday by someone who also was a big fan that they were quite disappointed.. storyline v scattered
Got to see it at the weekend. Like the first film an enjoyable family film.  Character development was mostly good with some decent new characters another great soundtrack for the movie with many classic hits. The end credits has a number of added scenes, looking forward to guardians of the galaxy 3 already.

Main Street

Denial
A courtroom drama about the libel case brought by Hitler apologist David Irving (Timothy Spall, effectively repellent) against historian Deborah Lipstadt after she described him as a "Holocaust denier"

I thought it was an excellent film,  but  more an outstanding document of a very satisfying piece of modern history, than a film per se.

leenie

Quote from: MoChara on May 02, 2017, 10:43:00 AM
Get Out was a very average movie I thought, I think perhaps its getting better plaudits that I think it deserves because its highlighting underlying racism in American society, but yet they still had a stereotypical black man as his friend. Worth watching but wouldn't watch it again.

+1
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Tony Baloney

Quote from: leenie on May 11, 2017, 12:44:18 PM
Get Out was a very average movie I thought, I think perhaps its getting better plaudits that I think it deserves because its highlighting underlying racism in American society, but yet they still had a stereotypical black man as his friend. Worth watching but wouldn't watch it again.

+1
Balls. Just finished watching it. Definite 8.5/10. Good show and we'll worth watching.

Walter Cronc

ballinaman

The Young Offenders - mighty ! 7/10

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 14, 2017, 09:39:09 AM
Alien Covenant. Shite!

I thought it wasn't bad up until the end when they went back up into space, that last 20 was predictable and shite.
#newbridgeornowhere

DuffleKing

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 13, 2017, 11:50:52 PM
Quote from: leenie on May 11, 2017, 12:44:18 PM

+1
Balls. Just finished watching it. Definite 8.5/10. Good show and we'll worth watching.

Meh. Predictable. 5/10

JPGJOHNNYG

I liked get out but feel it would have been much better if it avoided all the coagula shit and it was just a case of good old kidnap and murder