Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Watched the most recent Independence Day. Was complete and utter muck.

straightred

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 18, 2017, 03:07:36 PM
I saw Get Out at the weekend. Thought it was really good with a nice mixture of humour with horror.

Just looked it up there on Wiki and I see there was meant to be a different ending but the director changed his mind after all the black men shootings by cops in the US.

watched it last night - okay at best IMO.  Don't know were rottentomatoes got their 99% from ???

Syferus

Quote from: straightred on May 01, 2017, 06:01:10 PM
I saw Get Out at the weekend. Thought it was really good with a nice mixture of humour with horror.

Just looked it up there on Wiki and I see there was meant to be a different ending but the director changed his mind after all the black men shootings by cops in the US.

watched it last night - okay at best IMO.  Don't know were rottentomatoes got their 99% from ???

Because it's one of the two best movies of the year.

Jell 0 Biafra

Rottentomatoes can be quite misleading.  It just counts up positive versus negative reviews.  So if every critic liked it a bit, but none were wild about it, it will have a 100% rating.  And if 80% of critics raved about it, and 20% didn't like it, it will only have an 80% rating.  To get a 99% rating, it isn't necessary that anyone thought the movie was a 99/100.

leenie

Any reviews on guardians of the galaxy 2 - I'm a massive fan of the first film- was told yesterday by someone who also was a big fan that they were quite disappointed.. storyline v scattered
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2017, 07:02:47 PM

I really enjoyed it too

Because it's one of the two best movies of the year.

MoChara

Get Out was a very average movie I thought, I think perhaps its getting better plaudits that I think it deserves because its highlighting underlying racism in American society, but yet they still had a stereotypical black man as his friend. Worth watching but wouldn't watch it again.

illdecide

Quote from: leenie on May 02, 2017, 10:09:26 AM
Any reviews on guardians of the galaxy 2 - I'm a massive fan of the first film- was told yesterday by someone who also was a big fan that they were quite disappointed.. storyline v scattered

A work colleague beside me was talking about this morning...he said he really liked it and was good.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Syferus

Quote from: MoChara on May 02, 2017, 10:43:00 AM
Get Out was a very average movie I thought, I think perhaps its getting better plaudits that I think it deserves because its highlighting underlying racism in American society, but yet they still had a stereotypical black man as his friend. Worth watching but wouldn't watch it again.

They (rich, coastal liberals) are only racists in how highly they value black people.. if that flew over your head you missed the point of the movie.

joemamas

Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2017, 03:00:41 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 18, 2017, 02:51:41 PM
Manchester by the Sea. Didn't like it.
2/10

Very disappointed - couldnt see where is was going.
Boring.

How yer blade got nominated for an Oscar for that performance says it all

1/10

Pure shi*e.
watched first 57 minutes, war office had to go pick up one of the kids, so paused it for her.
Had no interest in watching second half. An Oscar, enough said.
To each their own.

MoChara

Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2017, 11:50:10 AM
Quote from: MoChara on May 02, 2017, 10:43:00 AM

They (rich, coastal liberals) are only racists in how highly they value black people.. if that flew over your head you missed the point of the movie.

They only valued them as physical specimens with no regard to their own value as people, the movie made the point of selling them as slaves. They valued them like someone would value a racehorse.

The Rich whites were of course the definition of whats wrong with Liberalism, patronising over the main character with no regard to him as an individual rather treating African Americas as a unit which they felt they had to express their approval off, the very act of them feeling that they should give their approval, shows their own self satisfying smugness as superior beings.

I don't see how you seen in this movie that the Rich Whites highly valued black people that they felt they could erase the person for their own benefit.

leenie

How scary is get out on a scale of 1 to 10 , bearing in mind I get scared v easily... and usually avoid horror films but have heard good reports about this film
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

mrdeeds

2017 seems to be a strong year for horror. Get Out, The Void, Split and It Comes at Night.

heffo

Quote from: leenie on May 02, 2017, 03:51:56 PM
How scary is get out on a scale of 1 to 10 , bearing in mind I get scared v easily... and usually avoid horror films but have heard good reports about this film

It's not scary as in jump out of your seat - the horror lies in the grim realisation of whats happening!

mrdeeds

Watched Moneyball last night. Really good. Interesting. It's a model soccer uses now.