Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 01, 2017, 12:12:10 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 01, 2017, 09:51:18 AM
Hacksaw Ridge - watchable but not one of my top war picks

No but very good all the same. Vince Vaughan was poorly cast.

My own top War Movies in no particular order.

Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Inglorious Basterds, A Bridge Too Far, Life is Beautiful, Battle of Britain, Das Boot, Full Metal Jacket, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Letters from Imo Jima, Glory, The Longest Day, From Here To Eternity

Yeah I thought VV just took the character from Full Metal Jacket and tried to be him in a failed attempt. Had they got that character a bit better it might have helped.

Inglorious is a very good show, watched it recently and then followed it up by revisiting the Hateful 8.

screenexile

Quote from: NAG1 on February 01, 2017, 01:40:13 PM

Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Inglorious Basterds, A Bridge Too Far, Life is Beautiful, Battle of Britain, Das Boot, Full Metal Jacket, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Letters from Imo Jima, Glory, The Longest Day, From Here To Eternity

Yeah I thought VV just took the character from Full Metal Jacket and tried to be him in a failed attempt. Had they got that character a bit better it might have helped.

Inglorious is a very good show, watched it recently and then followed it up by revisiting the Hateful 8.

What are the thoughts on this? I thought it was awful and possibly the worst Tarantino film yet (And I've watched Death Proof).

NAG1

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2017, 02:10:07 PM

What are the thoughts on this? I thought it was awful and possibly the worst Tarantino film yet (And I've watched Death Proof).

I'm still a little confused about it after a few viewings now, not sure what to make of it.
It did lead me to re-watching Django which have to say I really enjoy.

JPGJOHNNYG

The great wall.
A bit of fun until the monsters arrived which quite frankly looked sh?te - think of the key master and gate keeper beasts from ghostbusters and you are there.

AZOffaly

Anyone watch Ms Peregrine's home for peculiar children? I watched it with the little lad at the weekend. Obviously completely fantastical, but a good auld yarn all the same.

trileacman

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2017, 02:10:07 PM

Hate Tarantinos stuff. Just can't warm to any of it, admittedly I haven't seen reservoir dogs but just find all the other stuff incl Jackie brown over-rated.

I'd add 3 kings and the thin red line to that list of top notch war films. Since you have life is beautiful on that I'd probably add schindlers list to it too.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Forgot about Thin Red Line. I don't think I have seen it since the cinema but it was much better than I think the reviews suggested at the time.

leenie

Any views on passengers ?  Is it worth a watch ? Hasn't gone down well with critics.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

JimStynes

Glory is a very underrated war movie. Based on the black slaves fighting during the American civil war. Denzil is amazing in it.

Saving Private Ryan's opening 30mins will be hard to beat.

JPGJOHNNYG

Glory is fantastic made even better by the soundtrack which is one of the best ever

gallsman

Matthew Broderick is as shite as he ever is in it though.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on February 04, 2017, 09:11:17 PM
Matthew Broderick is as shite as he ever is in it though.

Poor casting but Denzil was superb more than made up for it. One of my favourite movies of all time.
#newbridgeornowhere

bennydorano

Quote from: Hardy on January 24, 2017, 04:38:08 PM
I was disappointed with Arrival. I can't understand all the fuss, Oscar nomination, 8.3 IMDB score etc. Totally forgettable, muddled, no tension, unsympathetic characters and I didn't care (or understand) what happened.
Watched it this evening & thoroughly enjoyed it. Good  Sci Fi but nothing extraordinary.

laoislad

Quote from: laoislad on January 17, 2017, 08:58:25 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 16, 2017, 12:36:41 PM
Patriots Day - very good. 8/10
Good to hear, have been looking forward to watching it.
Match of the Day wasn't on tonight so I watched Patriots Day.
Very good.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Canalman

Echo what has been said about Glory. As good a war film that has ever been made. Three Kings excellent as was Kellys Heroes before it and which it is basically a remake of.

Zulu, The Great Escape, Platoon, AN, Das Boot, Where Eagles Dare, Paths of Glory  all excellent as are many others.

Hurt Locker dung. Thin Red Line far too arty for me.