Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Not annoyed and my tits are grand... ;) Later dude :D
The Aristocrat Years

Gold

Quote from: bennydorano on January 27, 2017, 11:39:03 PM
Just back from watching it. Underwhelming but ok, wasn't expecting much tbh - which is pretty much the central message of the movie.

Agreed
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

general_lee

Trainspotting was a masterclass so T2 was never going to come close. Still a very good watch and worth going to see.

Esmarelda

Quote from: trileacman on January 29, 2017, 12:31:18 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on January 29, 2017, 12:15:24 AM
Quote from: trileacman on January 29, 2017, 12:05:59 AM
Thought Argo was typical yank-w**k shite about the glorious competence of the CIA.

Just out of t2. Seen a middling review here and a mediocre enough IMDb and rotten tomatoes ratings so was I was prepared to be disappointed by it. Must say the opposite though. Not just as brilliant as trainspotting but a brilliant blend of comedy and tradgedy all the same. The ending is somewhat weak but doesn't diminish the film all that much.

Good to see you're keeping up the ole yank beating tradition...it's a fuckin movie....it was good entertainment...easy to watch.get over yourself...

What are you gonna say next....typical Brit b**tards coming over ridin our women and shooting our men in Ryan's Daughter.....

What the fcuks got you so annoyed? I didn't like Argo, its only an opinion. Some lad earlier said he thought t2 was underwhelming, I didn't feel the need to throw a hissy fit about it.

Calm your tits.
Couldn't agree more with trileacman about Argo. Grand for the first hour and then deteriorated into predictable tripe. Affleck seems to love casting himself as the hero.

JimStynes

I watched Dead Man's Shoes for the first time there. Very good show.

ONeill

Quote from: JimStynes on January 31, 2017, 10:20:16 PM

Great show.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

NAG1

Hacksaw Ridge - watchable but not one of my top war picks

straightred

Quote from: NAG1 on February 01, 2017, 09:51:18 AM

its a great movie. My favorite so far as I work my way through the screeners. I'm a sucker for movies that are based on true stories
One from a few months ago - Hell or High water is decent.
Arrival is garbage
Fences is good but probably only because Denzel Washington is fantastic in it.

Brick Tamlin

Arrival - 5/10 - maybe its just me but it confused the shit outta me at the end. Up until that I was disappointed, a lot of fuss made over it.
Manchester by The Sea - 8.5/10 - A hard watch but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Found myself laughing at a fair few scenes (one in particular) and sorta felt like a shouldn't been. Casey Affleck has the Best Actor Oscar in the bag.
Moana - 7/10 - Not as good as predecesors but bright, sunny and fun. Made me want to book a holiday after it was over.
Sing Street - 9/10 - A gem of a film and a great soundtrack. I defy you not to foot tap along to this one.

ballinaman

Dinny Breen

No but very good all the same. Vince Vaughan was poorly cast.

My own top War Movies in no particular order.

Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Inglorious Basterds, A Bridge Too Far, Life is Beautiful, Battle of Britain, Das Boot, Full Metal Jacket, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Letters from Imo Jima, Glory, The Longest Day, From Here To Eternity

#newbridgeornowhere

DownFanatic

Quote from: ballinaman on February 01, 2017, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: ONeill on February 01, 2017, 08:00:07 AM

Great show.

One of my favourite films of all time. It has real edge to it.
Also particularly like the Australian indie show Animal Kingdom.

laoislad

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 01, 2017, 12:12:10 PM

No but very good all the same. Vince Vaughan was poorly cast.

My own top War Movies in no particular order.

Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Inglorious Basterds, A Bridge Too Far, Life is Beautiful, Battle of Britain, Das Boot, Full Metal Jacket, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Letters from Imo Jima, Glory, The Longest Day, From Here To Eternity

Love a decent war movie myself,there's a few on your list I haven't watched yet so must look them up.
I would add Hamburger Hill and Escape from Sobibor as some of my favourite war movies.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Minder

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 01, 2017, 01:16:18 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 01, 2017, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: ONeill on February 01, 2017, 08:00:07 AM

Great show.

One of my favourite films of all time. It has real edge to it.
Also particularly like the Australian indie show Animal Kingdom.

Yeah Animal Kingdom is a great show
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Whilst they aren't *serious* war movies I can't resist a bit of Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare or The Dirty Dozen.

I'll throw in Born on the Fourth of July, The Deer Hunter, The Great Escape and Saving Private Ryan.