Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Watched Hell or High Water at the weekend. Old fashioned character driven 1970s style bank heist movie. Enjoyed it . 8/10.

Jeff Bridges has aged something else.

muppet

Quote from: leenie on September 21, 2016, 09:48:00 AM
Anyone read the book at school? Why do the children call him attiticus? Was googling for answer but there's a broad variation of explanations

Ask him yourself: Atticus_Finch

Also... bit harsh calling him at-titicus.
MWWSI 2017

leenie

Lol...

Have any of you south of Ireland cinema goings seen The young offenders? Based in cork set around the time of the big cocaine haul of the coast of cork...

It's getting great reviews , unfortunately not showing in the north .. But they might be waiting to see how it does down south before redistribution
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Main Street

Quote from: leenie on September 21, 2016, 10:08:28 AM
Why didn't they call him father or dad etc ?
I guess it was because Atticus was his own unique man in every aspect, not just in respect to his views on law and justice but also with parenting and possibly in a stifling environment, the first name basis was to encourage something different in the children.

manfromdelmonte

Everest - good watch. Kept me interested for the full length of it

Longshanks

Watched Hell or high water lastnight, could not reccomend it enough. Some great dialogue and Jeff Bridges on great form. Ben Foster plays the slightly crazy brother well too.

Hardy

Just watched The Siege Of Jadotville on Netflix. Highly recommended. I would be very interested in the history anyway, but this told the story very well (in a Hollywood kind of way OK) and explained the political background well too. 8/10.

manfromdelmonte

leenie

Watched Swiss army man .. Strange but enjoyable , I'm left slightly confused with the ending but I think that's the purpose..

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hardy on October 09, 2016, 07:23:32 PM
Just watched The Siege Of Jadotville on Netflix. Highly recommended. I would be very interested in the history anyway, but this told the story very well (in a Hollywood kind of way OK) and explained the political background well too. 8/10.

Watched it with my Dad who did two tours to the Congo, so knew all the history. Apart from some quibbles about the uniforms he gave it the two thumbs up and I got a free history lesson on trench warfare :)

Deepwater Horizon is a good disaster movie and surprisingly intense. Definitely a cinema movie as the part where is the Oil Rig goes up in flames is sensational and needs to be seen on a big screen.
#newbridgeornowhere

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 10, 2016, 08:34:52 PM

Watched it with my Dad who did two tours to the Congo, so knew all the history. Apart from some quibbles about the uniforms he gave it the two thumbs up and I got a free history lesson on trench warfare :)

Deepwater Horizon is a good disaster movie and surprisingly intense. Definitely a cinema movie as the part where is the Oil Rig goes up in flames is sensational and needs to be seen on a big screen.
Spoiler alert  ;D

Aye read a review that said it needed to be watched on the largest screen possible. I know a few lads on rigs who are avoiding it unsurprisingly!

gallsman

Enjoyed it a lot. Good for the reminder that O'Brien was always a p***k.

leenie

Just watched Mascots , Christopher guest film on Netflix, it did not live up to expectations.. I am a big fan of spinal tap / best in show but this came across as recycled material..  :( , Chris o dowds accent ? What county was it, not a rossie one

muppet

Was the portrayal of Conor Cruise O'Brien accurate?

No one ever seemed to like him. But I was too young to know why. Doesn't come out of the movie well.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: leenie on October 17, 2016, 01:03:21 AM
Just watched Mascots , Christopher guest film on Netflix, it did not live up to expectations.. I am a big fan of spinal tap / best in show but this came across as recycled material..  :( , Chris o dowds accent ? What county was it, not a rossie one

I agree watched about 20 minutes and the Mrs made me turn it over. I would have kept watching in the vein hope it would improve but she was right!!