Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: Canalman on June 07, 2016, 04:22:03 PM
Seen a very odd French movie there last night called Holy Motors. Can't for the life of me make out what it was about. Very strange. Kylie Minogue shows up in it.

Watched Margin Call as well . Film about the subprime crash. Very watchable.
I've seen both of them.

Margin Call is good as you say but no more than that.

Holy Motors was indeed strange although oddly enthralling. I think it's the only time I've seen an erect penis on a mainstream movie.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: leenie on June 07, 2016, 04:30:32 PM
If you're into alternative / dark films I recommend tale of tales , it one of those films that leaves you asking 'wtf was that .. It's got rave reviews on IMDb.. Was released in u.s last yr in the  states , out here on the 17th

It's gothic fairy tales with Salem hayek
Bloody autocorrect  ;)

nrico2006

Never had any interest in Ant Man until I watched the new Captain America, watched Ant Man the other night and really enjoyed it. Captain America was average, and the new X-Men was dung.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Eamonnca1

Money Monster. George Clooney plays a Jim Cramer type character who gets taken hostage live on TV. It's a bit confused if it wants to be a comedy or a drama but it's still decent.

Love and Friendship. Great if you like clever dialogue and period dramas where you don't mind having to concentrate to follow what's going on. I enjoyed it.

JimStynes

George Clooney has been in a serious amount of shite films

ONeill

Quote from: JimStynes on June 11, 2016, 06:39:49 PM
George Clooney has been in a serious amount of shite films

Burn After Reading his highlight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Up The Middle

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

NAG1

leenie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 11, 2016, 04:41:44 AM

[/b]Love and Friendship. Great if you like clever dialogue and period dramas where you don't mind having to concentrate to follow what's going on. I enjoyed it.[/b]

Emm thought it was ok .. Perhaps too much 'clever' dialogue and I wouldn't be fussed on Kate Beckinsale, it is witty though..

If you are going to the cinema with a female and she wants to see Mothers Day ( Jennifer Anniston, Julia Roberts ) drop to the floor and fake an injury/ illness or punch them either way do whatever it takes not to see this film.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

muppet

Quote from: leenie on June 15, 2016, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 11, 2016, 04:41:44 AM

[/b]Love and Friendship. Great if you like clever dialogue and period dramas where you don't mind having to concentrate to follow what's going on. I enjoyed it.[/b]

Emm thought it was ok .. Perhaps too much 'clever' dialogue and I wouldn't be fussed on Kate Beckinsale, it is witty though..

If you are going to the cinema with a female and she wants to see Mothers Day ( Jennifer Anniston, Julia Roberts ) drop to the floor and fake an injury/ illness or punch them either way do whatever it takes not to see this film.

This is one of the best film reviews I have ever seen.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

mrdeeds

Deadpool. Unlike any movie I ever saw. From soundtrack to dialogue. Think I enjoyed it.

Eamonnca1

The Man Who Knew Infinity. Based on a true story. Great film if you like academia, maths, early 20th century history etc. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGm9Vlfx4w

screenexile

Watched Dazed and Confused on Netflix. 70s based coming of age High School movie. Just a good film with a great soundtrack that will put a smile on your face.

Shot in 1993 directed by Richard Linklater there are some fresh faced stars in it well worth a watch 9/10.

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on June 22, 2016, 01:11:48 AM
Watched Dazed and Confused on Netflix. 70s based coming of age High School movie. Just a good film with a great soundtrack that will put a smile on your face.

Shot in 1993 directed by Richard Linklater there are some fresh faced stars in it well worth a watch 9/10.

Matthew McConnaughey before he was shit for years and long before he got good again.

There was a "spiritual successor" to it, also directed by Linklaters released a few months ago called Everybody Wants Some.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on June 22, 2016, 01:11:48 AM

Late review there Screen.  ;D That Gone with the Wind worth watching?