Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 01:40:52 AM
Cartel Land  as a documentary is almost unequaled in making a documentary film out of direct live coverage of  real political events. Almost,  I would rank with the documentary that covered live  the attempted coup  against Chavez in Venezuela. Part of this documentary happens north of the border, that part is pretend mall cop stuff,  compared to the coverage of the armed people's  movement south of the border in Mexico, to free the province from the shakles  of the all powerful drug cartels. This documentary is so good it doesn't feel like a documentary.
That being said , there is no happy ending here.

Amy won the Oscar for this and I was very much of the view that Amy Whinehouse was a great singer but a spoilt rotten druggie ..... This ended up to be a bit of an eye opener to how she was exploited by everyone around her, and how it finally spiralled out of control till her death..... Very sad indeed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 10:22:16 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 01, 2016, 05:39:37 AM
Cartel Land  as a documentary is almost unequaled in making a documentary film out of direct live coverage of  real political events. Almost,  I would rank with the documentary that covered live  the attempted coup  against Chavez in Venezuela. Part of this documentary happens north of the border, that part is pretend mall cop stuff, compared to the coverage of the armed people's  movement south of the border in Mexico, to free the province from the shakles  of the all powerful drug cartels. This documentary is so good it doesn't feel like a documentary.
Those lads may be vigilante but they're strolling about in tactical gear carrying assault rifles. It's far from mall cop stuff.
It's the idea i'm talking about
the concept of the wannabe cop as a mall cop, armed and kitted out  but mainly dealing with petty stuff, yet still with the macho front.
Similar to the concept of the cast off frustrated weapons obsessed, right wing reactionary militant, who's a wannabe  warrior who needs to "do something about it", now strutting around like mad max, armed to the teeth, patrolling the border in 4"lifted  jeeps but ends up picking up all sorts of penniless, shoeless"illegal"mexicans in rags and bones,  claiming that they're super scouts for the cartel.
Overkill perhaps?

Oh overkill absolutely, my point is the fact that the mall cop stereotype rarely appplies to anyone capable of doing anything more than scowling at a few bored teenagers loitering about the place. These lads are downright dangerous and I've no doubt they'd  only to delighted to get stuck into a shootout. The extent they are tolerate by and, in some cases, cooperated with by sherrif offices was worrying.

South of the border was just an absolute tragedy and really shows you just how fucked the place really is. Corruption at all levels. The shining knight wasn't long in being tarnished.

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2016, 10:31:55 AM
Cartel Land  as a documentary is almost unequaled in making a documentary film out of direct live coverage of  real political events. Almost,  I would rank with the documentary that covered live  the attempted coup  against Chavez in Venezuela. Part of this documentary happens north of the border, that part is pretend mall cop stuff,  compared to the coverage of the armed people's  movement south of the border in Mexico, to free the province from the shakles  of the all powerful drug cartels. This documentary is so good it doesn't feel like a documentary.

Amy won the Oscar for this and I was very much of the view that Amy Whinehouse was a great singer but a spoilt rotten druggie ..... This ended up to be a bit of an eye opener to how she was exploited by everyone around her, and how it finally spiralled out of control till her death..... Very sad indeed

Excellent documentary!

Mitch has been running scared since and so he should be.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2016, 12:07:48 PM

Excellent documentary!

I was gonna reply to MR actually about how the Da fared in the documentary as I remember him yapping about it at the time of release. I think reports at time of release were portraying him as something of a leech who kept throwing her back into the industry when she needed a lot of time out to recover properly.

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on March 01, 2016, 10:33:01 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 10:22:16 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 01, 2016, 05:39:37 AM
Cartel Land  as a documentary is almost unequaled in making a documentary film out of direct live coverage of  real political events. Almost,  I would rank with the documentary that covered live  the attempted coup  against Chavez in Venezuela. Part of this documentary happens north of the border, that part is pretend mall cop stuff, compared to the coverage of the armed people's  movement south of the border in Mexico, to free the province from the shakles  of the all powerful drug cartels. This documentary is so good it doesn't feel like a documentary.
Those lads may be vigilante but they're strolling about in tactical gear carrying assault rifles. It's far from mall cop stuff.
It's the idea i'm talking about
the concept of the wannabe cop as a mall cop, armed and kitted out  but mainly dealing with petty stuff, yet still with the macho front.
Similar to the concept of the cast off frustrated weapons obsessed, right wing reactionary militant, who's a wannabe  warrior who needs to "do something about it", now strutting around like mad max, armed to the teeth, patrolling the border in 4"lifted  jeeps but ends up picking up all sorts of penniless, shoeless"illegal"mexicans in rags and bones,  claiming that they're super scouts for the cartel.
Overkill perhaps?

Oh overkill absolutely, my point is the fact that the mall cop stereotype rarely appplies to anyone capable of doing anything more than scowling at a few bored teenagers loitering about the place. These lads are downright dangerous and I've no doubt they'd  only to delighted to get stuck into a shootout. The extent they are tolerate by and, in some cases, cooperated with by sherrif offices was worrying.

South of the border was just an absolute tragedy and really shows you just how fucked the place really is. Corruption at all levels. The shining knight wasn't long in being tarnished.
Fair point and well made.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 01, 2016, 01:10:47 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2016, 12:07:48 PM

Excellent documentary!

I was gonna reply to MR actually about how the Da fared in the documentary as I remember him yapping about it at the time of release. I think reports at time of release were portraying him as something of a leech who kept throwing her back into the industry when she needed a lot of time out to recover properly.
The best thing i've read about Amy's father Mitch is that he makes Michael Jackson's Da look good. The only performance i've seen of Amy was on tv after she came out of a brief  10 day rehab, (to recover from a year's crack chain smoking binge) to play at Glastonbury and she was unworldly brilliant.
So you might ask, why only 10 days in rehab to recover from the bender of all benders?
But  I think I'll leave this documentary on the long finger.

laoislad

A few I watched lately.
Brooklyn. Meh boring as fcuk.Nothing actully happens in the film. Don't understand how it was nominated for best movie. 2/10
Spotlight. Excellent. The Catholic Church really is as rotten as fcuk. 8/10
Creed. Not bad.Not a patch oh the Rocky movies though. Could have done with less of the Everton shite. 7/10
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
A few I watched lately.
Brooklyn. Meh boring as fcuk.Nothing actully happens in the film. Don't understand how it was nominated for best movie. 2/10
Creed. Not bad.Not a patch oh the Rocky movies though. Could have done with less of the Everton shite. 7/10
Brooklyn aimed purely at women.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 05, 2016, 10:27:38 PM
A few I watched lately.
Brooklyn aimed purely at women.
Yeah the wife loved it. She was teary eyed for some of it. I don't know why.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Norf Tyrone

A few I watched lately.

Agree with that re Brooklyn. I enjoyed it, but you're right nothing really happens. Not sure how it got nominated for an oscar either.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Dinny Breen

Quote from: DennistheMenace on March 01, 2016, 08:41:19 AM
The Big Short is a very good movie.

Really good movie, good pace to it, well acted and uses a lot of piece to camera to explain the financial terms for dummies like me.

#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Saw Steve Jobs

Really enjoyed it. It left me wanting to see more considering I had recently read the Isaacson book on him.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Bridge of Spies - a bit slow - took me two sittings to finish it but decent story - 6/10
Victor Frankenstein - passed the time - 5/10 expected more given the cast but has there ever been a good Frankenstein film?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

Quote from: The Iceman on March 10, 2016, 06:26:46 PM
Bridge of Spies - a bit slow - took me two sittings to finish it but decent story - 6/10
Victor Frankenstein - passed the time - 5/10 expected more given the cast but has there ever been a good Frankenstein film?

Only one - Young Frankenstein.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on March 10, 2016, 07:31:31 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 10, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Only one - Young Frankenstein.
And this one

the 1931 classic