Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man Marker

Saw The Danish Girl, excellent movie, quality acting and very thought provoking, slightly uncomfortable in parts

leenie

Quote from: finbar o tool on January 11, 2016, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 09, 2016, 06:31:17 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 09, 2016, 05:59:47 PM
The Revenant is fantastic - definitely one to watch in the cinema and not on a crappy stream / torrent

I found it visually stunning but the story a bit meh. Was too slow.

+1

i am sorry i didnt wait to see it in the cinema though as mentioned above, i would say it will be unreal visually on the big screen.

watched Bridge of Spies the other night, thought it was very good.

I haven't seen it yet? Is Leo Oscar worthy or could the academy give him a 'sympathy' one .. Paul Newman only got one Oscar after years of nominations for the colour of money, which Paul Newman didn't even like as film and claimed it was one of his worst...

I think Michael fassbender in Steve jobs is outstanding.. But he doesn't do the Oscar trail so he's not a contender ...
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 11, 2016, 02:54:30 PM
The Revenant is fantastic - definitely one to watch in the cinema and not on a crappy stream / torrent

+1

i am sorry i didnt wait to see it in the cinema though as mentioned above, i would say it will be unreal visually on the big screen.

That's the issue with the various means of seeing pirated movies nowadays. Producers and spending hundreds of millions to best showcase their wares on the biggest screens with the best sound production and then people watch the movie on anything from a big tv down to a phone!

This time of year though - screeners available for anything even remotely connected to awards season. No dodgy cams or anything.

finbar o tool

Quote from: leenie on January 11, 2016, 03:53:36 PM

+1

I haven't seen it yet? Is Leo Oscar worthy or could the academy give him a 'sympathy' one
.. Paul Newman only got one Oscar after years of nominations for the colour of money, which Paul Newman didn't even like as film and claimed it was one of his worst...

I think Michael fassbender in Steve jobs is outstanding.. But he doesn't do the Oscar trail so he's not a contender ...

he is really good in this movie but i actually dont think he should get it this year! although i haven't seen all his competitors yet, i fear it could be slightly sympathetic if he does actually win it. i just feel there is not enough dialogue in this for him. i wouldn't begrudge him if he did win it, definitely a great performance but he has put in better performances in the past IMO.

i hear Eddie Redmayne is getting tipped for his role in the 'The Danish Girl'. haven't seen this one yet myself though.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Longshanks

Watched a film there at the weekend called spotlight, had wanted to see it for a while and won a lot of awards. Bases on the true story of the boston globe in 2001 uncovering the catholic church sex scandals.

Really good film in my opinion.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Longshanks on January 14, 2016, 10:54:27 AM
Watched a film there at the weekend called spotlight, had wanted to see it for a while and won a lot of awards. Bases on the true story of the boston globe in 2001 uncovering the catholic church sex scandals.

Don't tell Fearon
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Up The Middle

Really enjoyed it. Keaton and Ruffalo excellent in it.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Longshanks

Quote from: Up The Middle on January 14, 2016, 01:42:10 PM

Yeah one of the most talented casts I've recently seen with Stanley, Tucci, Rachel Mc Adams, Billy Crudup and Liev Schreiber also.

laoislad

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 14, 2016, 12:09:03 PM

Don't tell Fearon
It was the kids parents fault not the Priests....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

HiMucker

Quote from: laoislad on January 14, 2016, 02:08:59 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 14, 2016, 12:09:03 PM

Don't tell Fearon
It was the kids parents fault not the Priests....
But effectively the Boston Globe guys are merely note takers, so it will be a tough one for him

heffo

Quote from: Longshanks on January 14, 2016, 02:00:03 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on January 14, 2016, 01:42:10 PM

Yeah one of the most talented casts I've recently seen with Stanley, Tucci, Rachel Mc Adams, Billy Crudup and Liev Schreiber also.

Great shout lads - don't know how that one fell under the radar - great movie.

screenexile

Watched 'The Big Short' again a good cast very slick and massively infuriating because you know this shit happened!!!

The best of the screeners I've watched so far including Hateful 8 and Spotlight.

johnneycool

Finally got round to watching Sicario last night, solid enough film with a few twists.

Personally I didn't think Emily Blunt didn't carry off the action role as pleasing as she is on the eye and once again  Benicio Del Toro stole the show.

Would recommend it for two hours viewing alright.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: johnneycool on January 18, 2016, 01:14:09 PM
Finally got round to watching Sicario last night, solid enough film with a few twists.

Personally I didn't think Emily Blunt didn't carry off the action role as pleasing as she is on the eye and once again  Benicio Del Toro stole the show.

Didnt really like Sicario until the very end.

Anyone saw the revenant?

ballinaman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 18, 2016, 01:17:08 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 18, 2016, 01:14:09 PM

Didnt really like Sicario until the very end.

Anyone saw the revenant?
Yep, saw it Saturday night.
6/10. Too long, story a bit meh. Visuals are brilliant though.
Tom Hardy more deserving of an award than Di Caprio.