Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 31, 2015, 06:55:55 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 30, 2015, 09:17:26 PM
Anyone seen the Hateful 8 yet??

I was very disappointed with it!!

Why would you be disapointed his other recent efforts have been muck, Django was awfull and inglorious basterds had an amazing opening scene followed by 2 and half hours of utter nonsense but still every reviewer gives his films 9/10 just because its Tarantino.

Django was a tremendously entertaining movie, basterds was gritty and at times sublime, especially the first forty five minutes.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2016, 07:48:04 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 04, 2016, 06:55:20 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 04, 2016, 02:48:01 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 31, 2015, 11:56:44 AM
Sicario was very good I thought, nicely done and well acted, you felt you were in the dark as much as Kate.

A nice afternoon filler on Netflix is X+Y, a little nugget of a movie.

Thanks for that recommendation, Dinny. I watched it and thought it was excellent. So much more satisfying to find a film like this than sitting through the latest formulaic Hollywood blockbuster.

No worries it's what the thread is for  8)

Really enjoyed Sicario alright.

A good indie horror movie is 'It follows' - it's on Netflix but you might have to use a VPN or unblockus to access it.

Yea I liked that show- a little bit more tongue in cheek horror is "You're Next" - the opening credits/scene is nicely done.
#newbridgeornowhere

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 04, 2016, 09:32:53 PM
Sicario was very good I thought, nicely done and well acted, you felt you were in the dark as much as Kate.

Thanks for that recommendation, Dinny. I watched it and thought it was excellent. So much more satisfying to find a film like this than sitting through the latest formulaic Hollywood blockbuster.

A good indie horror movie is 'It follows' - it's on Netflix but you might have to use a VPN or unblockus to access it.

Yea I liked that show- a little bit more tongue in cheek horror is "You're Next" - the opening credits/scene is nicely done.

Missus seen it & enjoyed it - will check it out soon cheers

Tony Baloney

Or pay for it  ;)

heffo

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2016, 09:38:26 PM

Or pay for it  ;)

? By Subscribing to Netflix you are paying to access it??

Dinny Breen

Another enjoyable almost leisurely movie on Netflix is Slow West - it's short less than 90 mins but some strong performances interesting dialogue and some memorable scenes. And some impressive cinematography if that is your thing.
#newbridgeornowhere

Arthur_Friend

The Hunter starring Willem Dafoe on Netflix was worth a watch.

bennydorano

Airplane - it just never gets old.

No wides

Quote from: bennydorano on January 09, 2016, 05:28:11 PM
Airplane - it just never gets old.

Watched it the other week, not only has it got old, I now wonder did I ever laugh at it.

Gabriel_Hurl

The Revenant is fantastic - definitely one to watch in the cinema and not on a crappy stream / torrent

gallsman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 09, 2016, 05:59:47 PM
The Revenant is fantastic - definitely one to watch in the cinema and not on a crappy stream / torrent

I found it visually stunning but the story a bit meh. Was too slow.

gallsman

Listened to podcast recently commemorating 20 years since the release of Heat so went and watched it again last night. Hasn't really aged at all and the bank scene still looks and sounds absolutely incredible. One of my favourite ever films.

Eamonnca1

Saw Carol last night. Great show. Nice to see a director letting the actors do the talking with their gestures and expressions, which are loaded with meaning.  (The lesbian love scenes are all right too, I'll bet even our Tony would enjoy them.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l265M1g5zw0

finbar o tool

Quote from: gallsman on January 09, 2016, 06:31:17 PM

+1

i am sorry i didnt wait to see it in the cinema though as mentioned above, i would say it will be unreal visually on the big screen.

watched Bridge of Spies the other night, thought it was very good.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Tony Baloney

Quote from: finbar o tool on January 11, 2016, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 09, 2016, 06:31:17 PM

+1

i am sorry i didnt wait to see it in the cinema though as mentioned above, i would say it will be unreal visually on the big screen.

watched Bridge of Spies the other night, thought it was very good.
That's the issue with the various means of seeing pirated movies nowadays. Producers and spending hundreds of millions to best showcase their wares on the biggest screens with the best sound production and then people watch the movie on anything from a big tv down to a phone!