Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: Boycey on December 30, 2015, 10:39:28 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 30, 2015, 10:23:15 PM
Brooklyn - 7/10 very good for anyone living overseas away from home
Z for Zachariah 4/10 not sure what was going on - read some reviews and it said they changed the book entirely
No escape  - 8/10 really enjoyed it - my kind of thriller

My other half was banging on about Brooklyn so I got a stream for it on Christmas night. I thought it was dull enough... Simple story, well made, of interest to us Irish especially the diaspora as you say but Jaysus nothing interesting happens in the whole film..
I've been debating moving back now for a while  - maybe I was just in a spot where I needed to see/hear something like this. Also considering moving back to NY/NJ as we were there before moving to the West Coast. Brooklyn the location looked amazing, the Mrs parents are Italians from Brooklyn and Long Island so it was great for her to see
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on December 30, 2015, 09:17:26 PM
Anyone seen the Hateful 8 yet??

I was very disappointed with it!!

Why would you be disapointed his other recent efforts have been muck, Django was awfull and inglorious basterds had an amazing opening scene followed by 2 and half hours of utter nonsense but still every reviewer gives his films 9/10 just because its Tarantino.

Dinny Breen

Sicario was very good I thought, nicely done and well acted, you felt you were in the dark as much as Kate.

A nice afternoon filler on Netflix is X+Y, a little nugget of a movie.
#newbridgeornowhere

themac_23

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 31, 2015, 06:55:55 AM

Why would you be disapointed his other recent efforts have been muck, Django was awfull and inglorious basterds had an amazing opening scene followed by 2 and half hours of utter nonsense but still every reviewer gives his films 9/10 just because its Tarantino.

i didn't think it was out for a week or so yet? any adverts i have seen said 8th Jan, bit meh about it now looking at your feedback lads, i was looking forward to it though. Disagree about Django, i really enjoyed it but yeah inglorious bastards was pretty poor by QT standards.

The Iceman

Bone Tomahawk 6.5/10 slow enough but had an eerie feel to it throughout which I enjoyed - some graphic scenes and very watchable
transporter refueled 6/10 - does was it says on the tin
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Quote from: charlieTully on December 24, 2015, 12:40:58 PM
watched a movie winter's bone last night, very good show, very dark. well worth a watch, its on Netflix.

Just after wiki'ing it there and realised that it is a film I saw one copy of on the bottom row of xtra-vision a few years ago that seemed good from the synopsis.  I meant to get it the next time I was there but could never find the copy or remember the name.  It must have been pre-hunger games times as I didn't know who the main actress was then.

Sicario - expected more, 6/10.
Creed - very good, 8/10.
Martian - very good, 8/10.
Everest - 8/10.
The Walk - turned it off after half an hour.
Exodus gods and Kings - 7/10.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 31, 2015, 06:55:55 AM

I thought it was brilliant! Inglorious not far behind

Bridge of Spies - Tom Hanks. Absolutely loved it. Great show with maybe the best actor about in Hanks. 9/10

laoislad

Watched Sicario last night. Loved it 9/10
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Up The Middle

Quote from: laoislad on January 04, 2016, 12:01:36 PM
Watched Sicario last night. Loved it 9/10

Watched it over the holidays. Great show.  Watched Steve Jobs thought it was very good as well.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Keyboard Warrior

Hardy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 31, 2015, 11:56:44 AM
Sicario was very good I thought, nicely done and well acted, you felt you were in the dark as much as Kate.

Thanks for that recommendation, Dinny. I watched it and thought it was excellent. So much more satisfying to find a film like this than sitting through the latest formulaic Hollywood blockbuster.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on January 04, 2016, 02:48:01 PM

Thanks for that recommendation, Dinny. I watched it and thought it was excellent. So much more satisfying to find a film like this than sitting through the latest formulaic Hollywood blockbuster.

I also watched X+Y over the break and enjoyed it immensely.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

No worries it's what the thread is for  8)
#newbridgeornowhere

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 04, 2016, 06:55:20 PM

No worries it's what the thread is for  8)

Really enjoyed Sicario alright.

A good indie horror movie is 'It follows' - it's on Netflix but you might have to use a VPN or unblockus to access it.