Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Martian with Matt Damon - very enjoyable. 8/10

Mr Calzaghe - excellent doc. The Kessler, Lacey, Hopkins and RJ Jnr footage, the relationship with his pop, and the kids feelings towards their dad and his job, first rate show.   

Canalman

Seen Star Wars last night.

Extremely average. Can't see what the fuss is all about. 5/10. Touch of the Emperor's new clothes imo.

Kicking myself I didn't go to Black Mass instead. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Canalman on December 24, 2015, 10:19:33 AM
Seen Star Wars last night.

Extremely average. Can't see what the fuss is all about. 5/10. Touch of the Emperor's new clothes imo.

Kicking myself I didn't go to Black Mass instead.
I see what you've done there.

charlieTully

watched a movie winter's bone last night, very good show, very dark. well worth a watch, its on Netflix.

Eamonnca1

Projection: Any USAian who watches The Big Short will vote for Bernie Sanders.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgqG3ITMv1Q

It's gripping, informative, funny, and frustrating all at once. Excellent film.

HiMucker

Quote from: charlieTully on December 24, 2015, 12:40:58 PM
watched a movie winter's bone last night, very good show, very dark. well worth a watch, its on Netflix.
Excellent film Charlie.  Jennifer Lawrence's break though performance I believe.
Seen the Martian.  Very good 8/10 if you like that sort of thing.
Sicario.  Very good acting.  Atmospherics were superb  but I have to say I was slightly disappointed. Still good show 7/10.

Orior

Behind the Candelabra, was on telly last night. Michael Douglas played Liberace and Matt Damon as Liberace's lover.

Great film, and proves to me that Michael Douglas is one of the best actors of all time.

(Interesting Fact: Liberace was a devout catholic but never played football nor hurling).
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Canalman

Quote from: Orior on December 29, 2015, 10:47:03 AM
Behind the Candelabra, was on telly last night. Michael Douglas played Liberace and Matt Damon as Liberace's lover.

Great film, and proves to me that Michael Douglas is one of the best actors of all time.

(Interesting Fact: Liberace was a devout catholic but never played football nor hurling).

Totally agree. Great film and brilliantly acted by Douglas.

screenexile

Anyone seen the Hateful 8 yet??

I was very disappointed with it!!

JimStynes

Quote from: screenexile on December 30, 2015, 09:17:26 PM

I haven't seen it but I hate his style of films!

The Iceman

Brooklyn - 7/10 very good for anyone living overseas away from home
Z for Zachariah 4/10 not sure what was going on - read some reviews and it said they changed the book entirely
No escape  - 8/10 really enjoyed it - my kind of thriller
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

screenexile

Quote from: JimStynes on December 30, 2015, 09:51:54 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 30, 2015, 09:17:26 PM

I haven't seen it but I hate his style of films!

Its not that I love the majority of his movies but this was a bit too slow and the story wasn't that interesting. Channing Tatum in it didn't help things either!

Boycey

Quote from: The Iceman on December 30, 2015, 10:23:15 PM
Z for Zachariah 4/10 not sure what was going on - read some reviews and it said they changed the book entirely

My other half was banging on about Brooklyn so I got a stream for it on Christmas night. I thought it was dull enough... Simple story, well made, of interest to us Irish especially the diaspora as you say but Jaysus nothing interesting happens in the whole film..

Last Man

Quote from: Boycey on December 30, 2015, 10:39:28 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 30, 2015, 10:23:15 PM

My other half was banging on about Brooklyn so I got a stream for it on Christmas night. I thought it was dull enough... Simple story, well made, of interest to us Irish especially the diaspora as you say but Jaysus nothing interesting happens in the whole film..

But sure its Saoirse Ronan, she's supposed to be a genius at portraying somebody doing feic all.. As a crazy tuesday show I didnt mind it but yes its far from gripping.

gallsman

I've been looking forward to The Revenant for months and finally watched it last night. It's stunning looking and I enjoyed it immensely but Christ it's very, very slow.