Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

The whole setting is up my street - the 60s Village folk scene - so it would probably have to be awful for me not to like it. But the Coens get it spot on and have you totally absorbed for a couple of hours in a story where nothing happens.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on February 07, 2014, 07:57:33 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 07, 2014, 06:41:30 PM
How mental is lone survivor? some intensity, hard to believe it is a true story..
Enjoyed it too, thought the training sequence at the start was very good....title gave it away a bit though..... :P

Saw it in the cinema on Monday. Very effective war film that doesn't go over-board (sans maybe the final Taliban attack) and builds up the scenario and characters quite well, it showed a patience few war films every display.

It's easy to see Peter Berg's imprint on it if you've seen Friday Night Lights, the film or the television show. The way he cuts the score with the action is unmistakable. Murphy is even played by one of the leads from the FNL tv series.

Definitely a film that exceeded the sum of its parts and its incredibly generic title.

ONeill

Captain Phillips - a real clinker. Tops Slave, WOWS and American Hustle for me. Hanks, like him or not, gave a memorable performance, especially in the last 3-4 mins. 8.12/10

Dallas Buyers Club - fine but not a film I'll remember much about in a few weeks. McConaughey might pick up individual awards but that might be more for his remarkable weight loss. 6.68
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Nally Stand

Quote from: ONeill on February 12, 2014, 12:39:23 AM
McConaughey might pick up individual awards but that might be more for his remarkable weight loss. 6.68
Never seen anything quite like the weight lost by Michael Fassbender for playing the role of Bobby Sands in Hunger.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Eamonnca1

I gave up about ten minutes into Hunger.  Couldn't stick the slow pace.

Capt Pat

I saw "Her" tonight. An unusual subject for a movie but still enjoyable. 7.5 out of 10.

southdown

Watched the Hunt For Red October last night on Netflix, great show.

NAG1

Quote from: southdown on February 18, 2014, 08:51:24 AM

Catch up SouthDown  ;)  All time classic in my book in fairness

Milltown Row2

Watched Savages last night, Oliver Stone film, decent enough 7 out of 10
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

blewuporstuffed

I watched Prisoners there the other night and thought it was very very good.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Apparently so

Identity Thief is beyond awful. Your man in it never even put any effort into acting ffs

nrico2006

I liked Prisoners but it dragged out a bit in the middle.

Watched Peacock the other day and it had potential. 

The Call was a decent show too. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Nebraska is a fine film. Some of the scenes reminded of home - deadpan expressionless reaction to almost everything - obsession with cars. 8.112/10
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Man Marker

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 18, 2014, 11:50:20 AM
I watched Prisoners there the other night and thought it was very very good.

Have to agree, very very good.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on February 18, 2014, 09:13:43 AM
Quote from: southdown on February 18, 2014, 08:51:24 AM

Catch up SouthDown  ;)  All time classic in my book in fairness
He watched it on Betamax the lying hoor.

Epic accent (and wig) from Sean Connery.