Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on January 26, 2014, 11:13:04 PM
After reading some of the reviews on here I had low expectations of Slave. Loved it - thought it was quality. Wolf was entertaining too. Never felt bored. I did with Hustle. Didn't really care towards then end.

I thought Slave was very good too. Hard to watch it hards, but other films to do about slavery were rougher. Looking forward to Wolf.
Testing Accessibility

NAG1

Watched Lone Survivor at the weekend, actually thought it was a good enough watch. Tough watch at times but interesting as much as anything.

Mayo4Sam

Went to see WOWS last nite, waaaaay too long.
Trying to be goodfellas and failing

Not a bad show but three hours FFS
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

Thought Wolf was excellent, much better film than Hustle in almost every way.
It got a bit lost around the time of the storm at sea and from there on was a bit disjointed, but still a great film, and I didn't see the 3 hours as too long, which I had expected to.
12 Years a Slave was fantastic as well I thought. Best film I've seen in years.

Of the big 3 new ones:
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Wolf of Wall Street
3. American Hustle
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tony Baloney

How do you fellas get the time to go see 2 or 3 films recently released in the cinema;)

NAG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 27, 2014, 01:26:40 PM
How do you fellas get the time to go see 2 or 3 films recently released in the cinema;)

Avid cinema goers TB, you should know there is nothing dishonest about any one on the GAAboard  ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on January 27, 2014, 01:28:28 PM

Avid cinema goers TB, you should know there is nothing dishonest about any one on the GAAboard  ;)
Like myself then. I only got to see the first hour of American Hustle on Sat as the missus fell asleep so had to watch the second half last night. Expensive business going to the cinema 2 nights in a row  8)

NAG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 27, 2014, 01:33:27 PM

Like myself then. I only got to see the first hour of American Hustle on Sat as the missus fell asleep so had to watch the second half last night. Expensive business going to the cinema 2 nights in a row  8)

You must have been in the same cinema as me as her indoors did exactly the same, though I must confess I continued to watch the show and relayed the information back to her on her awakening. Not made of money  ;D

Milltown Row2

As most on here we fancy ourselves as film buffs, and without the help of google I'm decent enough at linking actors to films and the years they come out, who directed them and so on, would only go to the cinema to watch the 'big' movies and stay clear of romcoms and comedies, these films are designed for a Sat (DVD) night in front of the fire with a bottle of wine to supplement the film or get pissed TO forget about it (usually the latter). Hasn't been too many 'blockbusters' at the cinema lately, you'd wonder are the writers running out of original ideas.

The recent run of horror films lately have been disastrous and makes you wonder who their target audience is, epics seems to be a thing of the past and the special effects now seems to be the making of the film instead of the actors. Not loving the cinema at the minute
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Oscar season tends to make the "recently cinema released" movies a bit more accessible to those of us who cannot afford to go and watch 3 blockbusters in a row.

In my defence I did pay to see American Hustle.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2014, 01:40:09 PM

As most on here we fancy ourselves as film buffs, and without the help of google I'm decent enough at linking actors to films and the years they come out, who directed them and so on, would only go to the cinema to watch the 'big' movies and stay clear of romcoms and comedies, these films are designed for a Sat (DVD) night in front of the fire with a bottle of wine to supplement the film or get pissed TO forget about it (usually the latter). Hasn't been too many 'blockbusters' at the cinema lately, you'd wonder are the writers running out of original ideas.

The recent run of horror films lately have been disastrous and makes you wonder who their target audience is, epics seems to be a thing of the past and the special effects now seems to be the making of the film instead of the actors. Not loving the cinema at the minute
Was listening to a show on the radio a couple of weeks ago and someone from the industry was saying that most of the big companies are throwing all their money into big budget, CGI-laden movies with big setpiece fights and explosions as the market for that is massive now in China etc. They aren't prepared to risk relatively small sums for modest returns.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Tubberman on January 27, 2014, 12:52:03 PM
It got a bit lost around the time of the storm at sea and from there on was a bit disjointed, but still a great film, and I didn't see the 3 hours as too long, which I had expected to.

Of the big 3 new ones:
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Wolf of Wall Street
3. American Hustle

I thought it was very disjointed, the scene with the wife leaving him and the storm, the fight in the morning, in fact a lot of the bits around the wife seemed to be just there to get the hottie on screen and didnt fit into the narrative
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ONeill

Quote from: Tubberman on January 27, 2014, 12:52:03 PM

Of the big 3 new ones:
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Wolf of Wall Street
3. American Hustle

Agree 100%. We should do coffee.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Just finished "her". Don't think it's out here yet.

Man falls in love with his computer. Mad concept but thought it was class. Some will detest it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on January 27, 2014, 11:13:21 PM
Just finished "her". Don't think it's out here yet.

Man falls in love with his computer. Mad concept but thought it was class. Some will detest it.

Hmmmm, mad concept? Plenty characters on here would love that :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea