Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

Di Caprio was great.  He's now one of my favourite actors and has come a long way from the cheesey sh1te that was Titanic.

mouview

Quote from: southdown on January 22, 2014, 10:57:51 AM
Di Caprio was great.  He's now one of my favourite actors and has come a long way from the cheesey sh1te that was Titanic.

Don't think he has changed at all to be honest. With the honourable exception of The Departed, still looks and acts like a snot-nosed kid to me.

Dinny Breen

Basketball Diaries and What's eating Gilbert Grape showed his talent from an early age. He's a charismatic talent and very watchable.
#newbridgeornowhere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mouview on January 22, 2014, 12:03:55 PM
Quote from: southdown on January 22, 2014, 10:57:51 AM

Don't think he has changed at all to be honest. With the honourable exception of The Departed, still looks and acts like a snot-nosed kid to me.

Have you seen Blood diamond? Thought he was excellent in that, played Hoover well also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

DAVE: Kill Bill 2. Grave scene.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2014, 12:36:08 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 17, 2014, 08:17:38 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave (if enjoyed is the right word). Wolf of Wall Street less so as once you look past the drugs and hookers, the plot is quite thin. DiCaprio is extraordinary in it though.

Matthew McConnaughey has really gone up in my estimation in the last year after Mud and Dallas Buyers Club. Phenomenal performances in both.

The best performance of his career is probably in True Detective. Exceptional.

Check out Frailty if you haven't already seen it.  He's also good in Killer Joe, though it isn't a great movie.

tyroneman

WoWS was excellent if a little too long. First hour and half pure comedy (as long as you suspend your real life distaste of greedy bas£ard wall st folks)

American hustle also very good. 

12 Years easily the most overhyped film of the year.

screenexile

Quote from: tyroneman on January 26, 2014, 09:12:44 AM
WoWS was excellent if a little too long. First hour and half pure comedy (as long as you suspend your real life distaste of greedy bas£ard wall st folks)

Saw all 3 and thought 12 years wipes the floor with the other 2. The storylines of the other 2 are weak and they're more style over substance for me.

Really disappointed with WoWS! 6/10

playwiththewind1st

Saw "Inside Llewyn Davis" last night. Coen Brothers sometimes produce great films - this wasn't one of them.

Orior

Just happened to watch Starsky and Hutch last night. Very funny film!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 26, 2014, 03:51:44 PM
Saw "Being Llewyn Davis" last night. Coen Brothers sometimes produce great films - this wasn't one of them.

Great review though.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

tyroneman

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2014, 12:00:02 PM

Saw all 3 and thought 12 years wipes the floor with the other 2. The storylines of the other 2 are weak and they're more style over substance for me.

12 years is your typical can I please have an Oscar now film. None of the 3 broke new ground but at least the other 2 were entertaining.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2014, 12:00:02 PM

Have yet to see 12 Years a Slave or Wolf of Wall Strert but would agree with you re. American Hustle. I am amazed at the number of awards and Oscar nominations it has picked up. Looks like a Scorsese cast-off. Definitely not bad and Bale is brilliant but 5 minutes after watching it I have forgotten about it already.

ONeill

After reading some of the reviews on here I had low expectations of Slave. Loved it - thought it was quality. Wolf was entertaining too. Never felt bored. I did with Hustle. Didn't really care towards the end.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 14, 2014, 12:21:50 AM
Seen American Hustle there. It was slightly dissappointing. Acting was excellent but storyline wasn't great and the film itself was slow in parts, especially at the start.

Load of bollocks. Soundtrack was the only good thing about it. That and Bale's combover.
Testing Accessibility